Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dangerzone High -- an unofficial morbit story
KATE: Alright, Project Plot Armour is up and running!
RIJK: Can I back out of this?
TORPEDO: No, you can’t.
KATE: The thing’s already on…
RIJK: Are you sure? Moon Logic had a higher aptitude…
BULLET: He said no, there’s nothing we can do about that.
MOON LOGIC: Yeah, I’m not letting anything read my thoughts, no matter how innocuous a device.
RIJK: But what about Amity, or Dragon Kite, or--
AMITY: You scored much higher on the aptitude test than I did, we can’t do anything about that.
DRAGON KITE: Besides, you’re the one who needs protection the most out of us, pal.
RIJK: How about--

Kate Geartown puts a hand on my shoulder. She’s trying to calm me down. It works…

KATE: Hey, buddy. Besides some of the people in the infirmary, you’re our best candidate, and even then you’re probably going to be better at this than any of those kids would be.
AMITY: Any…?
DRAGON KITE: There are only two or three of them, aren’t there?
MOON LOGIC: Three. Alicorn, Exalt, and Maize.
RIJK: And you’re sure Alicorn wouldn’t be better--

Kate smiles warmly, nudges the hand on me in a comforting motion.

KATE: I don’t fucking know, honestly.
KATE: But you’ve been chosen for it, and we can change that later, but for now, we should at least give it a couple days, alright? I know you’re just nervous because you don’t think you’re good enough--
RIJK: Is it that obvious…?
MOON LOGIC: Yes.
BULLET: It’s definitely that obvious.
AMITY: You do say you’re nervous and insecure a good deal…

An awkward silence permeates through the room--

KATE: Anyways, you’ll be fine. You’re gonna be great at this, okay? We all know you’re good enough.
RIJK: I’m good enough…
KATE: Yeah.
MOON LOGIC: People aren’t measured in skills or any sort of value, for that matter. You have nothing to be insecure about; you’re every bit as much of a person as the rest of us. And-- Ms. Geartown, correct me if I’m wrong-- Project Plot Armour’s main requirement for its candidate is that they’re a person, correct?
KATE: You’re not a scientist, detective, but yeah basically.
RIJK: Ah… Thank you, everyone.
KATE: Oh, yeah, we should test if the thing works!
RIJK: Are you sure, Kate? You instructed me to give exposition beforehand--
KATE: Yeah, yeah, go ahead and do that, kiddo. Everyone be quiet for like a minute, okay?

Ah, er… Hello, everyone. I’m a student at Dangerzone High, a special needs school in the zone of Eclipse. It’s a little northwest of the Luxson Cluster… If that means anything to you. It’s… dangerous here, as the name implies. Our science teacher just gave me this… little pin collar thing… that’s meant to make me… protected by voices from another world, I think. That’s Project Plot Armour. I think the class just gave it to me because I’m the most likely to die, haha…

I’m supposed to listen for the voices from another world now, I think. Please, go ahead and say you’re out there-- maybe I can answer questions if you’re confused about this at all?
why is dangerzone high so dangerous? why do they think you’re going to die? why are all of your names so cool?
no longer active
Yo.

Question the first: why are there voices with names attached? is plot armor just like a mic attached to some transcontinental mcguffin?

Question B: what do you mean 'our'?

Question III: What kind of lunatic names a school 'Dangerzone High'?
This doesn't seem like a type of protection you would use for physical hazards, exactly. What sort of stuff do you see day to day?  and not the stuff on any news reels...
RIJK: Oh, that's a little fast.
AMITY: It's working?
KATE: Oh shit, it's working!

I stand up from my seat, moving to the whiteboard and uncapping a pen. I'm going to write your questions in sequence on it now, so we can all answer them together-- I don't think I'd be good enough at some of these on my own...
Quote:
why is dangerzone high so dangerous?

MOON LOGIC: Eclipse is a zone of dimensional anomaly. Dangerzone High, unlike the majority of the zone, is on the unstable, alien, incredibly hostile "nightside," and it's technically meant to be a research facility. I'm honestly not sure why it's also a school, but the rest of the students are at about my level of competence, I'd say, so it all sort of works out.
AMITY: Most of the students and faculty here are scrap sensitive, and we've all held our own in a fight, but... what's out there on the nightside isn't friendly to us. It's not horrors or anything, usually, but it's... the sort of stuff people call in knights for nevertheless.
TORPEDO: We're lucky to have a couple on staff.
BULLET: It's not stuff teens should be dealing with. This place is practically designed to churn out one perfect knight for every twenty dead kids it causes. But that's half the point of it, right, Amity? That's the sort of reason two prestigious Selected drop off their scrap sensitive kid, or two De'moneres in high society decide their parody child's been a little too precocious and they send them off here--
AMITY: ...You're right.
BULLET: Yeah. It's the garbage chute for whatever dayside Eclipse-- or anywhere else with the means-- doesn't deem as normal. Off to the nightside to get the quality education only a constant threat of death can provide.
Quote:
why do they think you’re going to die?

RIJK: It's because I'm weak.

Everyone stares at me with a concerned look. People open their mouths and close them as if to mention some rebuttal that, as it doesn't exist in the first place, never escapes their lips--

MOON LOGIC: I was just saying how people don't have any kind of inherent ranking to them. You're not weak, you're just--
RIJK: Less likely to survive an alien hell environment.
BULLET: No one here's expected or supposed to survive in the first place, and you're one of the few people here on good terms with their parent. You're doing alright for yourself, pal.
Quote:
why are all of your names so cool?

DRAGON KITE: Isn't it obvious? It's because we're so very, very cool ourselves.
AMITY: We are?
MOON LOGIC: No, his logic is completely irrefutable. We're all incredibly cool.
RIJK: Even me?
MOON LOGIC: Yes, absolutely. Again, please don't put yourself down.
Quote:
why are there voices with names attached?

Oh, can you not... see everyone? I'll have to draw them for you sometime, or show you our ID cards, or something.

MOON LOGIC: Should we introduce ourselves?
VOLLEY: ...Volley First. She/they, seventeen. Student. Knight in training.

Everyone takes a moment to look in the direction of Volley's wavering voice as she gives an introduction, surprised she's brave enough to speak. Most of us look proud of her.

BULLET: Bullet First, he/it, twenty-two. Teacher's assistant. Resident asshole.
TORPEDO: Torpedo First, he, twenty-seven, teacher. No particular subject, just in general.
BULLET: Torpedo oh-so-conveniently forgets to mention he's our family's best boy knight.
DRAGON KITE: Dragon Kite! He/they, chronologically six mentally sixteen, student. I'm a fake person. Or like... a real person, just... artificial.
MOON LOGIC: Moon Logic d'Arte; they/he, sixteen, student and teen detective.
AMITY: Amity Avalon, she/they, sixteen, student. Everyone here says I'm a very skilled sensitive.
RIJK: Rijk Skip, he, sixteen, student. Uh... I draw sometimes?
KATE: And last but not least! Kate Geartown, she, twenty-five, friendly neighbourhood witch and science teacher.
KATE: Very happy to meet you, incidentally. I'm overjoyed my invention is working.
Quote:
is plot armor just like a mic attached to some transcontinental mcguffin?

KATE: Haha, basically! Got it in one.
KATE: The theory behind it is that like... By communicating with you all, Rijk-- or whoever else holds Project Plot Armour-- is the protagonist of the story that's being told to you, and therefore, through that, is less likely to die. No idea if it actually works! Kinda cool regardless!
Quote:
what do you mean 'our'?

RIJK: I'm answering this out loud so no one gets confused...
RIJK: I said "our science teacher" gave me the pin Project Plot Armour is contained in. I mean all of us, Class 12.
MOON LOGIC: Probably worth mentioning most of the other classes are either completely wiped out or have lost enough students to be consolidated into other, smaller classes.
KATE: Yep! Torpedo's Class 12's teacher, but I'm inter-departmental, so I've seen... a lot of tragedy occur here.
Quote:
What kind of lunatic names a school 'Dangerzone High'?

Torpedo and Kate exchange a nervous glance towards each other while everyone else wonders the sentiment behind the question.

TORPEDO: Poet is... not a model individual.
KATE: That's not giving them enough credit. Poet's fine, she's just a fucking weirdo.
TORPEDO: I have no good words to say about the high god that creates Sunset "as an experiment" and creates a school in his new greater god's zone that specifically caters to killing children. I do my best to ensure nobody here fucking dies, but... I am not the only teacher, and most others are... not knights.
TORPEDO: But yes, Poet is the high god primarily responsible for creating this dismal school as well as its principal. We're rather lucky it's never around.
Quote:
What sort of stuff do you see day to day?

AMITY: Strange, black flora with a will of its own, just outside the windows, curiously tapping against them as if we're the pet fish of some nightside giant.
MOON LOGIC: Creatures not unlike the more dangerous examples of Morbit fauna, but... unstoppable. Things that regenerate and keep going indefinitely.
DRAGON KITE: Like... just a world completely filled with boss battles, basically.
BULLET: I'm still holding out hope for that mythical heart storeroom. You know, the thing where all us hollowhearts are supposed to be keeping our hearts extradimensionally or whatever.
RIJK: The sky is my favourite part... It's a deep purple coupled with pink, red, and fiery hues, like an eternal sunset. It doesn't change often-- the time of day is always the same, and weather is infrequent-- but it doesn't have to if it's beautiful.

I'm sure all of that is a lot to take in...
I think you should all go home and/or somewhere safe. You all seem like very nice individuals and it would be a real shame if you were to die.
no longer active
Quote:
Poet is the high god primarily responsible for creating this dismal school as well as its principal. We're rather lucky it's never around.

I would expect we are going to meet them eventually, something is going to notice at least...

What is causing so many classes to be wiped out? Usually we can assist by organising co-operation, but if there's some sort of competition setting students against each other those efforts could be stymied.

Who is Rijk's parent, that would send them to such a place, I assume they work here or have some sort of blackmail holding them back. Are you in contact with them?

Also, in most schools we know of, time is controlled, what is happening next on the schedule?
Is there anything you want to ask us?
Oh right we have signatures
Ok, so if plot armor somehow makes your life into a contemporary narrative, we should know what kind of story that is. Horror is right out, unless it's a parody, as 'Dangerzone High' is an absurd name. we don't have an inciting incident for this to be a mystery yet, but I don't think the 'setting' lends itself well to that either. Romance is also right out, the 'audience' participation gimmick would just ruin the mood way too much, even in a RomCom. Comedy itself doesn't seem to fit, even dark comedy, for the same reasons as romance. That leaves us with two common high school fiction genres: Slice of Life, and Adventure. 

Slice of life is still on the table, despite the constant mortal peril y'all are under. I've seen weirder. the tone would just have to be irreverent, or ignore the people who die. as a main character you'd be safe.

Adventure is a lot trickier. It's the oldest kind of story told. whatever the case you'll go to hell and back, and come out of it stronger, though not without some losses. there's a good chance at least one person you care about will die, and there's a lot you'd have to shoulder. I think this is the most likely genre you're in, if Plot Armor is working as advertised.
isn’t there a detective here? i feel like a mystery is still very plausible. it isn’t uncommon to establish characters before introducing the mystery.
no longer active
Let's see... I can... "scroll back" through what you've said to me, so...

RIJK: I'll address these one at a time...
RIJK: It's not formal questions anymore, so... firstly, the... audience?
KATE: Yeah, that works.
RIJK: They're concerned for our safety. They think we're all very nice, and it would be tragic if we died...

Everyone takes in some air, looks from one direction to the next. Nobody wants to mention what we're all thinking-- that few of us really have anyone who would care. I have my mother, who sent me here because the education really is good, but...

AMITY: My parents want me to die, I think. They'd be happy to have me out of their tentacles.
BULLET: Volley and I are here as part of our knight training. The family wants us to get good or die trying, basically.
DRAGON KITE: Kate, why are we here again?
KATE: It's better than Consumption.
DRAGON KITE: Right! I have no idea what Consumption is like, but I believe that.
MOON LOGIC: Death is simply a risk of the job.
AMITY: Hey, don't pretend you're not here for the exact same reason I am! Your rich parents are just as awful as mine are!
MOON LOGIC: Come on, let me sound cool while the device is on...
RIJK: Anyways...
RIJK: They expect to meet Poet eventually...

Some people shudder, some roll their eyes.

TORPEDO: Pray it doesn't happen soon.
KATE: No, they have a point. The audience has gotta meet the mastermind behind this morbid tale at some point, yeah?
RIJK: I've never met them, what's so bad about them?
AMITY: Well--
KATE: Oh, what's so bad about the fucker who makes sure to put all the best, most promising people with a few brain difficulties in the same deadly place? Gee, I wonder.
RIJK: ...Oh. I think I see.
KATE: It's not any kind of social engineering or nothin', either! He just thinks it's funny to see... how did she word it again? "The mortal struggle for survival..."
RIJK: ...I can't decide if that's better or worse.
MOON LOGIC: Better, I think... but if people are using it as social engineering rather than its intended purpose of... twisted entertainment, I guess it has the same effect, in the end.
RIJK: They want to know what causes us to be wiped out--
MOON LOGIC: Ah, a simple question! We've effectively already answered, haven't we?
KATE: It's called Dangerzone High because-- well, messed up fool behind the name aside-- 'cause we're in a dangerous zone. I'm sure we'll see one of the monsters that bursts through the barrier every so often-- it's been easier for me to create a rapid rebuilding program than to make impervious materials to protect us all.
KATE: That being said, there are impervious materials, they're just reserved for the dormitory bunker.

I'll address my mother by myself... Really, she is a nice woman, I just... need teachers who will be patient with me, and the quality of education here is far better than Eclipse's ordinary public schools. I've had a very nice time here, when my life has been in less than immediate danger, at least. She sends a lot of messages online-- she'd text, but due to the nature of the nightside, telecommunications don't seem to work normally here. They work, just... they're only really useful if you've lost a loved one to angel timeline messes.

RIJK: What's next on our schedule?
KATE: Free day.
TORPEDO: You can't just decide that.
KATE: Overruled. I'm doing my fun experiment bullshit. I can decide whatever I want in that regard.
TORPEDO: ...Any objections, class?

Most everyone shakes their heads.

VOLLEY: ...I had some history questions, but they can wait. This is... something different.
RIJK: Is there anything any of us want to ask the audience?

I have my own questions, if I'm honest, but those can wait.

MOON LOGIC: Two, in my case.
MOON LOGIC: What sort of world are you from?
MOON LOGIC: And... Do you think you can solve a mystery faster than I can?
DRAGON KITE: This is where Maize normally tells you off for being too cocky, right?
MOON LOGIC: That's right. Do you want to ask anything?
DRAGON KITE: Hmm... What are your favourite snacks?

I'm writing down what everyone is asking on the whiteboard now. I'm determined to relay to everyone the answers they seek.

MOON LOGIC: What if you don't know what the alien snacks are?
DRAGON KITE: I'll be amazed by the funny names alone, then!
MOON LOGIC: Fair enough.
BULLET: Hey, if we're a "story" now, what genre do you think this is?
RIJK: That was actually one of their questions... Let me... copy all their thoughts down. Shouldn't take long...
Quote:
Ok, so if plot armor somehow makes your life into a contemporary narrative, we should know what kind of story that is. Horror is right out, unless it's a parody, as 'Dangerzone High' is an absurd name. we don't have an inciting incident for this to be a mystery yet, but I don't think the 'setting' lends itself well to that either. Romance is also right out, the 'audience' participation gimmick would just ruin the mood way too much, even in a RomCom. Comedy itself doesn't seem to fit, even dark comedy, for the same reasons as romance. That leaves us with two common high school fiction genres: Slice of Life, and Adventure. 

Slice of life is still on the table, despite the constant mortal peril y'all are under. I've seen weirder. the tone would just have to be irreverent, or ignore the people who die. as a main character you'd be safe.

Adventure is a lot trickier. It's the oldest kind of story told. whatever the case you'll go to hell and back, and come out of it stronger, though not without some losses. there's a good chance at least one person you care about will die, and there's a lot you'd have to shoulder. I think this is the most likely genre you're in, if Plot Armor is working as advertised.

Quote:
isn’t there a detective here? i feel like a mystery is still very plausible. it isn’t uncommon to establish characters before introducing the mystery.

RIJK: Phew.
DRAGON KITE: That was a lot of writing, little man.
MOON LOGIC: I think whoever said mystery is right. I'm here, after all.
KATE: It's a death game.

Everyone goes silent.

RIJK: A what?
BULLET: Oh, you haven't heard of them? That's... kind of rough.
KATE: They had this kind of thing back in Consumption all the time, both real and fictional.
MOON LOGIC: Wait, you mean the genre from my point-and-click games is--
KATE: Very real, yes. My first date was at one.
DRAGON KITE: Wait, you've dated?
BULLET: Probably not the time, pal.
TORPEDO: Everyone, calm down. No one here is going to kill or be killed on my watch.
KATE: Oh, of course not. The alien monsters outside are gonna do the killing, as usual.
KATE: We're just as likely to die as before the project was implemented. Except Rijk, of course. Can't go around changing the viewpoint character that easily, yeah?
RIJK: And you're sure I can't give the pin to someone else--
KATE: We've been over this.
KATE: Just a couple days for now, yeah? It's not so bad.
RIJK: It... still just feels like a lot of responsibility I don't deserve...

It's a very interesting sort of ebb and flow, I've noticed. I have to actively stop to let you all in, and then everything flashes into my mind in a second, a half dozen thoughts with perfect clarity.
Ok, to answer your questions... MOON LOGIC: Our planet is called earth, in the Orion arm of the milky way galaxy. we have a single yellow sun, and a carbon life based ecosystem. our species is called Humanity, or humans, and we're the only sapient one. all 7.5 billion of us. Things are relatively peaceful, all things considered. we don't have wildlife that breaks down walls on a regular basis, most danger comes from other humans. 

As for can I solve a mystery faster than you? probably not. never been a big mystery fan.

DRAGON KITE: I'm not good at picking favorites... but recently I've been eating these really good banana granola bars. 

and I guess we've cemented the genre as a Thriller then, sub-genre death game. That's good for you, bad for everyone around you. Can't continue to tell the story if our main character dies off(you can, but not in a contemporary death game). Everyone else is fair game. now. if this is a death game, then there are rules, or at least a win condition. and don't say make it to graduation because I will punch you. if we can't make it to the win condition then that means we go the other direction a death game story can go, we break the game, and break the cycle. What that means in this context I don't know. regardless, if there are no rules, gimmicks, or win conditions, then this isn't a death game.
The largest living organism on our planet is an underground fungal colony !!!! Just thought you should know. this is the most important thing to know about where we’re from, honestly. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

also if this is a death game (genre) then i think we are going to run into some Weird puzzles. can’t fucking wait. For the puzzles. not the death i hope there is like zero of that.

i think it depends on the mystery? i mean we both have different areas of knowledge so who would be better at putting together any given clues just depends on whether the clues are related to mushrooms and bugs or. Something else (last part is a joke)

also check out these bad boys
[Image: 51Tz2MT11rL.jpg]
no longer active
RIJK: Apparently they're from "Earth." It's... somewhere far in space I'm not sure if I can repeat accurately. There are seven and a half billion of them and there's only one species and I don't have a picture of them or idea of how to draw them. Most danger comes from their own species-- "humans" I think?
RIJK: And the most important thing about their planet is that the largest organism is an underground fungal colony... I wonder if it's a high god or something?
RIJK: As for snacks, just two people have told me theirs-- banana granola bars, and... hold on, I have a picture I gotta draw...

Everyone stands in polite silence as i wipe half the blackboard to put this on it.

[Image: dzh__chocorooms.png]

DRAGON KITE: Hey, Moon Logic.
MOON LOGIC: Hm?
DRAGON KITE: You able to read that? You know all sorts of weird shit, I wouldn't be surprised.
MOON LOGIC: "Meiji--" which is either a place or a time, never really clear with learning about Earth stuff-- and "Chocorooms--" which... chocolate... mushrooms? I think?
RIJK: They were talking a lot about mushrooms, I think. That sounds right.
MOON LOGIC: But yeah, that's about as much as I can make out.
RIJK: Should I redraw the rest?
MOON LOGIC: Nah, it's probably just product information.
RIJK: That makes sen--

I'm halfway through the word "sense" when a gurgling roar resounds from outside the clasroom. Half the people in the room already have their proxies with them and everyone pours out of the door; a few gesture expectantly at me to follow them. They're going to the right, and it sounded like something entering the medical bay... It's probably on the smaller side, but I wouldn't know from here. Some of the pack animals have been learning the medical bay is where the incapacitated folks are.

I grab my sketchbook, pencil, and eraser, and I move out the door and listen for a moment to cover up that I'm paralyzed with fear. My proxy still hasn't shown up-- I'm sure it will show up eventually if I... bother to see what's going on. No one should be dying... hopefully? But as it stands, I'm not sure what to do or where to go-- running away seems like the best option here so far.
RIJK run towards the danger. You only live once.
[Image: 7ypC3K8.gif]
This sounds like the inciting incident to me. you should go investigate. No, seriously. The narrative will pull you toward the event either way. still... run at the first sign of danger. stick behind your classmates. 

Also There's no massive fungal colon- hold on let me look that up real quick. OK there's one that's about two miles across, but that's it. It's not a god, it's just the worlds largest living organism. also gods mean something different here if you think we worship fungus. our religions are mutually exclusive. if you believe in one that means you don't believe in the others God or gods. a God is usually said to be omnipotent, and there's no way to prove they exist, so... they probably don't exist. but we don't worship fungus. 

sorry about the rant. Fungus just kinda freaks me out.
Is there anything you're actually, like, supposed to do in this situation? Like call for backup or something like that?
Also when you say the pack animals have been learning where incapacitated people are, what do you mean exactly, because there is an incredibly ominous implication i can draw from that that i really hope isn't the case.
maybe you should ask one of your friends if they will go check it out with you? preferably one with their proxy out and ready
no longer active
You don't want to be picked off by these creature, they're pack animals, right? If you the weakest one of the pack, and you aren't even with the pack, then you'd most certainly be attacked. Go join the others.
[Image: lil_lesbian.png]
Since everyone else is already on their way there, I steel myself and follow the group down the hall. I could see anything once I'm there-- but I won't, right? I'll be protected... That's how it works, isn't it?

The medical bay isn't too far. Once I'm there, I whip out my sketchbook to

RIJK: What are these creatures called, again?
MOON LOGIC: Sligers. Slug ligers... Pretty simple, right?
RIJK: N-no...
TORPEDO: Status report?
KATE: Bad! Godawful! Hey, Rijk, don't fuckin look, alright?
RIJK: What's going on?
TORPEDO: Nothing to worry about. Most of your classmates are safe and alive, and we've nearly driven them back. It's needless to worry, Rijk.
RIJK: Teacher, please, who--
TORPEDO(?): Alicorn.

The voice sounds like Torpedo's, but it's... coming from a layer proxy I've never seen before. I realize they were the one who told me not to worry, as well...

Well, anyways, here's my drawing.

[Image: unknown.png]

If I remember correctly... Radula-subtype sliger. There's one medusa subtype, from what I can glean of the chaos, but there are a half dozen or so of these... Vicious pack animals with absurdly fast regeneration, absurdly high tolerance for adverse conditions, and a tendency to invert their digestive systems as a form of attack. This subtype has a chainsaw for guts...

RIJK: Do you need any help?
KATE: Seriously, don't come here.
TORPEDO(?): Volley couldn't handle it.
Hmm. I expect that whatever happened is extremely gruesome. If you go in there you're going to be filled with terror unlike anything you've experiences yet, I think. But it might be important for you to go in, if you're the protagonist. No judgement either way, I think you'll be fine choosing to either go in or stay out. It will just answer a question about your 'character'. Do you think you can face this? Should you?
Take their advice, don't go over. From what your teachers are saying it sounds particularly gruesome.

Maybe talk to Volley, do what you can to calm her down? That'd be something you could do to help without getting to close to the carnage.
was... was alicorn your friend? i’m so sorry.
no longer active
I'm...

I'm not used to this. None of us are. We've been seeing death for more than a year each now, but we don't ever get used to having the people we care about-- could have cared more about-- taken from us. Alicorn was kind, he didn't deserve this, he should have gotten the chance to wake up-- ah, probably worth mentioning he became comatose a few months after I first met him, so at least it's... possible he didn't feel any pain when he left.

But he still didn't deserve whatever happened to him. I don't think I want to learn about the state his body is in, not right now.

RIJK: Teacher, where's Volley?
TORPEDO: I have no idea, honestly--
TORPEDO(?): She's somewhere safe.

Two... of them. The Torpedo in front of me can't be the Torpedo that called from behind the shredded medical curtain, fighting off the three remaining sligers.

RIJK: Who are you?
TORPEDO(?): I'm Armament. We should probably get this body somewhere safer.
RIJK: I don't want to look--
ARMAMENT: Volley's. Don't worry, she's alive.
RIJK: I... don't understand, but okay.

A hand of thick steel from the proxy before me-- bullet scrap affinity, if I'd have to guess-- grips my forearm and drags me down the hall. The stranger, Armament, seems to be taking me towards student quarters. A million questions run through my mind, but I don't know where to begin with them, and I remain silent.
Probably best to stay quiet for now.
Hang in there. I'm sure it'll all be explained soon enough.
Would you like as to give you something pleasant to focus on right now? It seems like we can send images pretty easily, I could send you some of landscapes and stimmy things.
I agree with the sentiment of taking your mind off things. take some time to process stuff. I'm willing to answer more questions about home, like we're gearing up for landing people on another planet. already did the moon, we're going back there too.
Following your advice, I stay silent, thinking about you aliens and what you've told me about yourselves so far, and let Armament lead me-- towards the dorms, staying on the student level of the winding structure, taking a familiar path-- pulling free Volley's student ID card from somewhere... I let out a nervous noise, against my will.

ARMAMENT: Are you alright?
RIJK: I'm... I'm worried about Volley...
ARMAMENT: She's fine. Panicking, but fine.
RIJK: How can you tell, how do you know--

The proxy shimmers and fades, revealing... Volley? No, not quite-- this Armament could be her twin, if not for the differing pattern of halos. Where Volley's make her resemble an angel type TCP-- you know, the non-Morbit angel ones-- Armament's make him look like...

ARMAMENT: The resemblance is intentional.
RIJK: What?
ARMAMENT: It's a little bit like angel things... It's as if I'm Torpedo from another timeline, only I'm sharing my sister's body instead of keeping my own. I'm used to this by now. I don't remember clearly how many years it's been since I woke up here.
RIJK: What?

What?

Can I even process this? Am I sure what's being said right now? Am I having auditory hallucinations-- no, Moon Logic's scrap side effects are... more clearly puzzles. This isn't trying to tell me anything I can directly understand, there's no pun or riddle here. I just have no idea what's in front of me.

ARMAMENT: I don't know how to make this clearer. I was Torpedo, once, but now I'm not, and Volley and I share a body. We're not the only ones here, mind you, but... I'm taking care of her. She's safe as I can make her, especially in her room. Make yourself comfortable, while you can.
RIJK: I... Okay.

I take a plush of a long fish and idly begin playing with it. Ah-- can any of you explain this?
listen, You have aliens talking to you, making you the protagonist of a story. how is this what trips you up? Accept these people share a body and just move on.
I'm not sure if I can, really. Maybe it's angel junk?
That's a fair point. I've seen weirder than two people sharing a body. I've... Well, I'm thankful it's peaceful, the weird situation I'm in this time. This isn't a scrap ghost aggressively trying to replace another person, or scrap-sensitive plants telepathically begging not to be killed, or anything else like that. It's just that there's two of Torpedo and one lives inside Volley now, and probably has for much longer than I've been aware of it. I'm making a bigger deal of it than I should be.

ARMAMENT: I suppose I'm lucky Judge didn't meet you, instead.
RIJK: Judge?
ARMAMENT: Another of us, who live with Volley. It's technically everyone's body in turn, but as Volley has trouble leaving it to anyone else, we sort of consider it hers.
RIJK: How many of you are there?
ARMAMENT: Let's see... There's myself, Volley, Judge, Moonlight, Konpeitou, View, Extra, and Comrade.
RIJK: Why would it be a bad idea for me to meet Judge?
ARMAMENT: If I'm... somewhere between another version of Torpedo and simply Volley's view of him, then... Judge is the same, but for Bullet. Do you see where I'm going with this?
RIJK: Bullet is fine, I think... But... I don't know him as well as Volley must. He does seem like the type to be... maybe not the best sibling, I'm not sure, I'm not really a good judge of these things--
ARMAMENT: You're right, though.

It's strange to hear Volley's voice, shifted down in pitch as far as someone else's soul can take it, and know it belongs to another person.

ARMAMENT: I... I'll admit I was not the best sibling I could be before coming here-- or even after I did, for that matter. I have been... on occasion avoidant, on occasion overzealous.
ARMAMENT: But I'm trying, now. I'm being... about as good as I can be, I think. I'm keeping Volley safe, and... I suppose my counterpart is too busy keeping everyone else as safe as he can to bother checking on his sister. It's almost funny.
RIJK: I see... How are you helping Volley right now, exactly? I don't doubt you are, I'm just curious...
ARMAMENT: Inside. Within the mind, I can interact with her, and I can look more like myself as I do. I'm holding her close as she cries on me.
RIJK: ...I'm kind of envious. I want to be held... I think I want to cry...
ARMAMENT: That's a natural response to the situation you're in. If you're comfortable with someone who knows more about you than the average stranger doing so, you can--

I crash into the body Armament currently occupies and cry onto his shoulder. He wraps arms around me, hands much more slender than the ones that had gripped me as he'd led me here. I can feel my tears leak out hot onto rubbery skin and soft cloth alike, minutes at a time spent in silence.

ARMAMENT: I'm curious.
RIJK: Hm?
ARMAMENT: You, out there. Our audience.
RIJK: The people behind the pin?
ARMAMENT: Yes, them. The ones you're responsible for.
ARMAMENT: Have you ever heard of something like what I am happening to anyone else before?
Well we don't have magic, so take all of this with a grain of salt, might be different for y'all. There's something called Dissociative Identity Disorder, In which someone's mind makes different consciousnesses, for lack of a better term, to cope with trauma, usually childhood trauma if I'm remembering correctly.

There are folks that can have multiple people living inside them naturally, without trauma, but It might be rarer than DID. Collectively they are called Plural and/or a System. Whoever's in control of the body is doing what is called 'fronting', There's apparently some kind of inner world in the mind that's referred to as 'headspace', where System members can take radically different forms and kind of exist in this world when not at the front.

uh, there's a lot more, but I'm not really qualified to talk about it from the top of my head. I could go find like a FAQ or a wiki page or something if you want more info.
Why do you ask, anyway?
That's... a lot. I take out my sketchbook and immediately begin transcribing your responses.

[Image: unknown.png]

I hand them to Armament, who reads them over intently.

ARMAMENT: Why do I ask...?
ARMAMENT: Interesting question.
ARMAMENT: I suppose I wanted to feel less alone, and now, knowing this, I do.
RIJK: Hope it helps, I think...

We sit in silence for an extended period of time, with Armament simply thinking of what to say and I holding this very long nice fish plushie.

ARMAMENT: My hold on... fronting... I'm not convinced this applies to me, but the term seems useful in this situation.
ARMAMENT: Anyways, my hold on fronting is slipping.
RIJK: Oh?
ARMAMENT: Prepare to meet Judge, within a few seconds.
ARMAMENT: Any final questions?
RIJK: Why don't you think it applies to you?
ARMAMENT: I don't doubt Volley and the rest of us are a system; she's been through some shit.
ARMAMENT: But I'm still fairly certain I'm from another timeline.
ARMAMENT: I remember the moments I left there and got here, after all.
RIJK: That makes sense. Hold on, I'll see if anyone has anything else.
ARMAMENT: Make it quick, for both our sakes.
oh right. uh forgot something applicable to Armament's situation. Hmm... how to put this... I forget the term for it, but like, a fictional character, can split into it's own member, that from their perspective, just started to exist in this person's mind, totally believing their source material is real, and having memories from it. I don't know if that can happen with real people. like people who aren't fictional, but I don't see a reason why It couldn't. 

So like, maybe you aren't from another timeline, and the differences between you and the Bullet you know are because of what Volley thought of Bullet, their image of that person in their mind, was different from reality. Then your memories of leaving that timeline would be another kind of coping mechanism so that your personality doesn't self destruct. Or you could be from an alternate timeline. Honestly I'm not sure it makes any kind of functional difference, if there are infinite timelines there would be an Armament exactly the same in one of them. 

Jeez, I don't know enough about this, I feel like I'm butchering this explanation since it's all second hand knowledge I haven't paid much attention to.
Is everyone else also alternate timeline versions of Volley's family members?
And does anybody else know about this?
RIJK: Does anyone else know about this?
ARMAMENT: You're the first we've told out loud.
ARMAMENT: Come to think of it, we don't talk about this condition online, either...
RIJK: Is anyone else.. an alternate version of someone?

The silence that follows is ominous, as are the evolving expressions on the face of the body before me. The laughter that erupts from the voice of someone I'm sure is no longer Armament is cackling, echoing.

JUDGE(?): That's for us to know and you to keep guessing.
JUDGE(?): It's Judge First, for the record. Heya.

Judge slides a hand and a cocky grin in my direction, a gesture I somehow can't help but perceive as being covered in grease. I take his hand politely and shake it, nevertheless; his grip is tight as a vise before it dissipates.

RIJK: Hello, Judge.
RIJK: I had another thing the audience meant to relay, if that's okay with you?
JUDGE: Sure, sure.
RIJK: There's a concept called an "introject" in which people with the... situation you all seem to have in which a person, real or fictional, is copied into the mind and begins existing separately from their... source.

A brief pause as Judge makes a mock gesture of being deep in thought.

JUDGE: Ah, interesting.
JUDGE: I might go ahead and antagonize Armament with that, that'll be fun.
JUDGE: Of course, he might be able to do it right back at me...
RIJK: Oh?
JUDGE: Oh, I'm an "introject" for sure, of nothing and no one you're gonna know about.
RIJK: Ah...
JUDGE: To be honest, I'm kind of tired of you right now?
RIJK: That's okay, I'm sorry, I'll leave--
JUDGE: No, not yet--
JUDGE: Although, actually, that's not a bad idea.
JUDGE: If you're not gonna stick around and play therapist for our broken as fuck mind, you can just scram.
JUDGE: I can take out what I'm feelin' on roguelikes instead of on you, I guess. Volley counts you as a "friend." That's ridiculous, she never talks to anyone. She doesn't have any friends.

I think on it for a moment, glancing between the door and Judge... I suppose playing therapist for a moment seems like the more interesting thing for the audience, and I do... want to try and help, I admit. I'm used to being belittled by my own mind, why would it be so different from someone else?

RIJK: Alright, I'll... try to play the therapist for you.
RIJK: Where should we begin...?
JUDGE: Any ideas, doc?
hoo boy I am not qualified for this. give me a sec. OK, I looked some stuff up and got some ideas. Firstly, y'all need to get along. You share the same mind, the same resources, and hurting each other will only lead to hurting yourself in the long run. 

To help with that you need therapy, which I guess we're doing now. It might be a good idea to pick up meditation, at least so you can be more aware of each other and your... hold on, forgot the term, Headspace! yeah, your headspace. next idea is creative therapies, such as art/music therapy. you all are your own person, and you need to be able to express yourselves. pick a hobby, something creative, and each of you spend a bit of time on your hobby, expressing yourself.

Those are more general ideas, but if you want us to get into the nitty gritty of it, you need to talk about your life, what led you to where you all are today, what happened to make each of you split, if there is a cause, sometimes there's not, or so I'm told. Get a fainting couch and get comfortable because talking about your feelings is hard.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. SEE A LICENSED PSYCHOLOGIST. a supportive friend, and a support system are great things to have, but seriously therapy is nothing you should mess around with unless you have no other choice which maybe you do you're stuck in a meet shredder of a school that's seemingly sole purpose is Darwinist kill or be killed horror survival trial by fire lunacy.
honestly, don't play therapist for your friends. share coping mechanisms, give them space to vent, sure, but you are not a therapist. and judge i know you are in a bad mood but taking it out on rijk isn't fair and i'm sure you know it. wanting help is one thing but telling someone they aren't worth being around if they aren't comforting/helping you is incredibly shitty and honestly says that You aren't worth being around instead. i'm sorry you're struggling but lashing out with manipulative behavior won't help anything.
no longer active
Don't play therapist because you think it'll be more interesting for the audience. As the audience, I really don't want to see you people treat you poorly unnecessarily.
While it isn't great to play therapist for your friends 24/7, it especially isn't great to have your first experience with someone you just met be that. It's not a great basis to start a friendship, especially with how he worded it. You aren't obligated to make this person feel better.
...I did not pick up on that. well I picked up on Judge being a bit mean, but like, not that bad. eh. I mean by all means you should stand up for yourself, and not get pushed around. I just didn't see that because I suck at people.
RIJK: First of all, I'm not obligated to do this-- the audience seems to care about my well-being more than I do?
RIJK: You've been rude and manipulative to me, and they're not standing for it, at least.
JUDGE: Rude and manipulative, huh...
JUDGE: I guess that's how I am without a little voice inside my head to tell me "no."
JUDGE: Of course, that little voice takes on many annoying forms itself. Volley has all these very reasonable explanations as to why all people are bad and we shouldn't talk to them, Armament knows all about how to be a "responsible person" and not get in trouble...
JUDGE: What do I know? How to get in trouble, mostly.
RIJK: That doesn't sound... very good for any party involved.
RIJK: People are designed to help each other, sort of in general-- that's why we have society, right?
JUDGE: Society's never done anything good for anyone in here, but go on.
RIJK: Maybe you can have... your own society? Inside of you? And you can help each other there?
RIJK: And no one's going to want to help you if you're going to be like that.

Judge looks very much like he'd rather be anywhere else.

JUDGE: I'm...
JUDGE: I'm not designed to say this, but...
JUDGE: I'm sorry.
RIJK: I... don't know whether or not to accept that.
JUDGE: Do you want my reasoning?
RIJK: ...I wanted an apology more than I want to hear what motive you have behind it, no.
JUDGE: No, no, not like that! Yikes! What kind of asshole have I made myself out to be?
JUDGE: I just mean... why I'm like this.
JUDGE: We've all got a sort of "job" in here, and mine's to be a bad example. I'm made to be what not to do.
RIJK: Do you want to be like that?
JUDGE: Fuck no! But it's what I'm stuck with, isn't it?
JUDGE: I'm supposed to be conniving and rude and horrible until we get what we need because no one else can or should use my methods. Thanks for falling for it, by the way.
RIJK: I'm not falling for anything. I'm here to help Volley if I can.
JUDGE: If you're worried about her, she's passed out over here. We've got like, a living room, with a few couches, and she's on one of them. She seems alright for now.
RIJK: Have you tried... going against your nature?
JUDGE: Why would I do something like that?
RIJK: Because underneath it, you seem like a good person to me.
RIJK: You could have lied and told me that Volley's well-being hinged on me doing something you wanted of me, but you told me what sounds like the truth.

Judge offers a terrified gaze to the floor.

JUDGE: Thank... you, I think...
RIJK: Are you alright?
JUDGE: Oh, I'm definitely doing bad on top of my usual state of not alright, but that's not your fault. I think my identity's just collapsing, y'know?
JUDGE: Convinced all my life I'm scum and you just go ahead and tell me I'm good?
JUDGE: Me, good?
RIJK: I don't really see why not.
JUDGE: Oh, to see why not would require years of therapy-exposition we don't have, and I'm not about to inflict that on ya.
JUDGE: The most I can say is an incredibly strained "thank you."
JUDGE: Feel free to actually leave, by the way, if you want. I know I've done nothing that would convince anyone I'm anything worth helping.
RIJK: I don't want to go.
RIJK: If nothing else, I want to check on Volley once she can tell me she's doing alright herself.

I hope I've satisfied the balance between helping and standing my ground. I hope not to disappoint...
no rijk that was great! and judge i think an apology is a great start. i can’t and won’t accept an apology on rijk’s behalf but i feel better about interacting w you right now and less worried about rijk (Sorry rijk you’re the protagonist and I Care You) just... don’t forget okay? You’re responsible for your own actions regardless of what role you feel you have to fit yourself in and that means that you don’t have to try to “be a bad example” if you don’t want to
no longer active
Rijk, you shouldn't feel like you need to appease us. We aren't running your life, we're just here to give advice and suggestions. You can and should ignore us if you don't agree with us. if you feel like you need to apease an audience then get some 'character development' into a better person that cares for themself.
Alright, I'll try to keep that in mind... Thank you, everyone, for caring about me when I'm not certain how to.

RIJK: The apology is good, by the way... I'm still going to be a little wary myself, but... It's a good start to being a good person.
RIJK: He doesn't have to be anything that he doesn't want to be, no matter what his-- your?-- brain says. He's responsible for his own actions.
VOLLEY: I'll let him know that.
RIJK: Volley! You're back!
VOLLEY: Yeah, and I've got a headache... They told you much too much.
RIJK: Was it oversharing of them to just... exist around me?
VOLLEY: ...I guess not. I'll try not to count it as that, anyways...
RIJK: Are you okay?
VOLLEY: Considering... everything? No, not really...
RIJK: Should I go?
VOLLEY: ...Not yet. I think I need someone.
RIJK: Okay.

Volley clings to my arm and begins sobbing onto my shoulder. It's a startling movement, and I jump a bit at it at first, before she fully settles in. Gently, cautiously, I attempt to pet her hair.

VOLLEY: He and I were... friends, we knew each other back before we--
VOLLEY: We watched cartoons together, we would go out and pick flowers together--
VOLLEY: When he came here, he always wondered if he could talk with the plants, since they seemed--

She's no longer coherent.

RIJK: It's okay to cry, Volley.
VOLLEY: I know, and I just...
VOLLEY: I knew it was going to happen eventually, I just--
VOLLEY: I thought the plug would get pulled, I didn't expect to...
VOLLEY: So many holes...
RIJK: It must have been terrifying. Sickening.
VOLLEY: It was! It was.
VOLLEY: I just... I keep seeing it every time I close my eyes, you know?
RIJK: I've... heard about that, at least. I think I understand.
VOLLEY: Probably.
VOLLEY: I want to... not be here. I want to not be here again, and have someone else be here for me.
VOLLEY: But I can't do that. I can't just run away from the truth, and even if I could, someone else would have to face it.
VOLLEY: And there's the chance they'd be someone who knew him, too...
RIJK: It'll be alright.
RIJK: Do you want to play a game?
VOLLEY: ...Not right now, Rijk.
VOLLEY: Thank you for offering, but I just want to... lay here and close my eyes until I don't see anything.
RIJK: That's alright. Go ahead and do that.
VOLLEY: Just keep talking, alright?
Want to hear a story?

Long ago when Earth was full of magic and wonder there was a princess locked in the tallest tower of a castle guarded by a farce dragon. She awaited the day a prince in shining armor, her one true love, would come to save her.

Meanwhile a wicked Lord conspired to gain power and status. he banished all the magical beings in his fiefdom to a swamp where a terrible green monster lived, and looked to marry into royalty. 

The monster in the swamp was a grotesque green beast, fat and ugly, hated by all. He wanted nothing more than to be left alone. When the magical beings invaded his swamp he yelled, threatened, and pled with them to leave, but they were more scared of the lord than they were of him. So with great reluctance, the monster sought out the lord.

When he arrived in the Lord's town it was empty, but he could hear cheers coming form the coliseum. he investigated and saw the Lord watching over bouts of gladiatorial combat. Seeing a monster, the assembled knights went from testing their strength against each other to attempting to take down the monster. without even trying to, the monster bested them all, and got an audience with the Lord. Conniving as ever, the lord said the monster could have his swamp back, if he went and rescued the princess for him so that he may be wed into royalty.

The monster agreed and set out to find the princess. he walked for days before finding the castle. as he entered he picked up armor and weapons from fallen knights to use against the dragon, and made his way through the castle. The princess, seeing a brave hero there to rescue her, watched in awe as the disguised monster made little work of the dragon.

When he reached her chamber, the monster saw the princess was asleep. not caring for her, he simply picked her up and ran for it. the princess knew this was not how things were done, and as soon as they were out of the castle the monster stripped of the armor and revealed himself.

The princess demanded to go back to the tower, adamant that her one true love could not be so monstrous. The monster did not care, and simply picked her up as he made his way back. as night came the princess hid in some ruins, refusing to sleep near the monster, but during the night the monster heard something, and concerned entered the ruins.

The princess was crying. and she had changed. for a curse was set upon her. every night she would lose her beauty and humanity, becoming a monster. The monster saw straight away who the princess was, and saw her for her true beauty. durring their journy back the two became close.

Then, it was time to say goodbye. the princess would be wed to the Lord, and true loves kiss would set her free. The monster sulked outside the town, having grown fond of the princess, and as he heard wedding bells, knew for sure that he loved the princess.

In an act of love he objected to the wedding. as the sun started to dip bellow the horizon, the Lord saw the princess transform and was disgusted. The monster confessed his true love then, and the princess saw a person that would never judge her, never give her up, or let her down.

They kissed, and at first it seemed as though the curse wasn't lifted, but as the sun rose over the horizon she didn't change back, and realized that it had been, and that her value never lied in her beauty, and that this was who she truly was all along. Two monsters saw the beauty in each other, even as the world did not, and they lived happily ever after.
If you know any songs that keep an even and slow beat, i'ld suggest singing those, Rijk.
RIJK: ...I have a story.
VOLLEY: From the audience? That sounds good, right now...
RIJK: "Long ago, when Earth was full of magic and wonder, there was a princess locked in the tallest tower of a castle guarded by a farce dragon."
VOLLEY: A farce dragon...
RIJK: It must be a typo, I assume they meant "fierce..."
RIJK: "She awaited the day a prince in shining armour, her one true love, would come to save her."

Volley sighs, a slight growl escaping her lips as she grips her snout.

VOLLEY: Oh, it's one of those fairy tales.
RIJK: Hey, true love is a nice thought!
VOLLEY: Sure, but it's never... realistic, exactly. Maybe some people have it, but... surely not everyone.
RIJK: ...Let's not think about that.
RIJK: "Meanwhile, a wicked Lord conspired to gain power and status. He banished all the magical beings in his fiefdom to a swamp where a terrible green monster lived, and looked to marry into royalty."
RIJK: "The monster in the swamp was a grotesque green beast, fat and ugly, hated by all. He wanted nothing more than to be left alone."
VOLLEY: Oh, mood.
RIJK: Hey, that's my friend you're being mean to.
VOLLEY: Friend...
RIJK: "When the magical beings invaded his swamp he yelled, threatened, and pled with them to leave, but they were more scared of the lord than they were of him. So with great reluctance, the monster sought out the lord."
RIJK: "When he arrived in the Lord's town it was empty, but he could hear cheers coming form the coliseum. He investigated and saw the Lord watching over bouts of gladiatorial combat."
RIJK: "Seeing a monster, the assembled knights went from testing their strength against each other to attempting to take down the monster. Without even trying to, the monster bested them all, and got an audience with the Lord."
VOLLEY: When I was a kid, I used to daydream about doing that to my family...
RIJK: Really? That seems rough...
VOLLEY: Yeah. It felt... more for fun than anything, at the time, but it's kind of fucked up to look back on. I'd imagine myself as some kind of terror and see myself going up against every great knight that has stood before me, because I thought that was the only way to be better than them.
VOLLEY: I don't have that kind of hope anymore.
RIJK: That's definitely rough.
RIJK: "Conniving as ever, the lord said the monster could have his swamp back, if he went and rescued the princess for him so that he may be wed into royalty."
RIJK: "The monster agreed and set out to find the princess. He walked for days before finding the castle. As he entered, he picked up armour and weapons from fallen knights to use against the dragon, and made his way through the castle. The princess, seeing a brave hero there to rescue her, watched in awe as the disguised monster made little work of the dragon."
RIJK: "When he reached her chamber, the monster saw the princess was asleep. Not caring for her, he simply picked her up and ran for it. The princess knew this was not how things were done, and as soon as they were out of the castle the monster stripped of the armour and revealed himself."
VOLLEY: I don't know, I feel I'd be grateful for some sort of rescuer no matter how personally rude they were to me.
RIJK: That's... sort of worrying.
VOLLEY: Haha, probably...
RIJK: "The princess demanded to go back to the tower, adamant that her one true love could not be so monstrous."

Volley snorts; the fact that she's making a sound close to laughter seems promising.

VOLLEY: Now that's just plain rude. He doesn't control how he looks, does he?
RIJK: I can't disagree with that...
RIJK: "The monster did not care, and simply picked her up as he made his way back. As night came the princess hid in some ruins, refusing to sleep near the monster, but during the night the monster heard something, and concerned entered the ruins."
RIJK: "The princess was crying, and she had changed. For a curse was set upon her: every night she would lose her beauty and humanity, becoming a monster. The monster saw straight away who the princess was, and saw her for her true beauty. During their journey back the two became close."
RIJK: "Then, it was time to say goodbye. The princess would be wed to the Lord, and true love's kiss would set her free. The monster sulked outside the town, having grown fond of the princess, and as he heard wedding bells, knew for sure that he loved the princess."
RIJK: "In an act of love he objected to the wedding. As the sun started to dip bellow the horizon, the Lord saw the princess transform and was disgusted."
VOLLEY: Bellow the horizon...
RIJK: I assume they meant "below..."
VOLLEY: Oh, I know, it's just funny to me to point it out.
RIJK: That's fair.
RIJK: "The monster confessed his true love then, and the princess saw a person that would never judge her, never give her up, or let her down."
VOLLEY: To have someone who would never desert you, never make you cry or say goodbye...
VOLLEY: I'll admit it's a nice fantasy.
RIJK: "They kissed, and at first it seemed as though the curse wasn't lifted, but as the sun rose over the horizon she didn't change back, and realized that it had been, and that her value never lied in her beauty, and that this was who she truly was all along. Two monsters saw the beauty in each other, even as the world did not, and they lived happily ever after."
VOLLEY: That was sweet.

She turns over from the place in my lap where she'd flopped down, angling my face to look down at her.

VOLLEY: Thank you, Rijk.
VOLLEY: And thank you too to your audience who gave us that story.
VOLLEY: You can leave now, if you want, or you can stay here a while.
RIJK: I'm... not sure. What would you rather?
VOLLEY: I don't have anything better to do than be near you right now. If you go, I'll just sleep and hope I don't think about... anything I don't want to think about.
You're not in any hurry to be anywhere, right? Sometimes It's nice to just be with someone else, even if you don't talk. It's comforting to have someone else nearby when you're feeling bad. Sometimes it's nice to just talk about nonsense, small talk, whatever. Ultimately it's up to you, but I think Volley would appreciate your company.
The two of you should contact the others to see if they are alright, perhaps. Otherwise, Volley mentioned roguelikes? It would be interesting to hear how you sit on the spectrum of risk management in those.
Roguelikes...? I'm not particularly good at them, but somehow I seem to manage... My reaction time isn't the best, so I move through a stage with caution over speed. I've heard it's a good strategy, but I still do relatively poor with it...

RIJK: I'll stay here, I think.
RIJK: We can play a game, if you like? I heard from--
VOLLEY: A game. Yeah, a game would be nice.

She rolls off my lap with an exhale that seems to be more from impact than any mood, and begins to set up a game for two players.

VOLLEY: A rhythm game. Something to take my mind off of things as best I can.
VOLLEY: The plan is to enter the music trance zone and stay there until things are...
VOLLEY: Until I'm strong enough to get out of it on my own, I guess. Things aren't going to be okay, I can't expect them to be.
VOLLEY: I don't know why it takes me so long to learn that...
RIJK: ...I think it takes all of us a while. I'm not as impacted by this as you are-- you knew each other growing up, after all-- I'm still...
RIJK: Earlier today I'd assumed he'd wake up and be fine--
VOLLEY: Can we not talk about him?
RIJK: Alright. I'm sorry.
VOLLEY: Thank you, it's no problem. I mean. It isn't anymore. You know.

She hands me a controller with one hand as she gesticulates with the other, then settles beside me and navigates the game console to the game she'd inserted. We sit together like this, for a while, with myself losing the majority of these lackadaisical rhythm battles Volley has brought to us.

RIJK: You're very good at this...
VOLLEY: I've been trying so hard to get perfect on the single player campaign. It requires... a degree of input precision I'd call unnatural. But I've been getting there.
RIJK: Do you ever use your scraps to... sort of soft reset a game?
VOLLEY: Yeah, absolutely. Reversion affinity is handy for a lot of things...
RIJK: Should I envy that?
VOLLEY: Absolutely not. Your scrap affinity can make plush toys come to life! There's nothing cooler than that.
RIJK: It can do that...?
VOLLEY: You've done it before, haven't you?
RIJK: I'm not sure... Maybe Moon Logic did? They're good at using scraps that aren't their own affinity...
VOLLEY: Perhaps. I can't remember too well, either... Either way, it's possible for you.
RIJK: It's possible... I'll have to remember that in the future. It sounds... comforting.

This continues on for time imperceptible, somewhere I would hazard a guess to be around an hour or two, before someone knocks at our door.

TORPEDO: Volley, you alright?
TORPEDO: We've been looking for you for a while. You've got to stop disappearing like that...