Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
King's Mulligan [Interactive Project]
[Image: cast_a_spell.png]

Tiles: I’ve got it. I’m going to need you to stand back some. Don’t want to be too close.

Courier: Don’t need to tell me twice, don’t feel like getting caught in that…

Xey’re already way out of the way at this point.

You open up your scrap book.

You assemble the items and get to work right away, every object melding together into a giant mist that quickly gathers shape

Courier: So what’s happening here?

Tiles: Archiving and then merging to create a shell. We’ll apply a basic personality so that it has something to work off of when not attended to.

Courier: Is it alive?

Tiles: For now? Not quite yet entirely, merely an extension of the imagination for now. It’ll gain a sense of self overtime of course.

Courier: Can’t say I like the look of things..

The graying world had a certain menace for sure.

Tiles: If you’re really that nervous I can offer you my free hand to cling to.

Courier: N-No, you don’t need to.

The form melts into the silhouette of clock hands in a circle on the ground. The creature begins to ember out.

[Image: summon_that.png]

A strange reptilian beast with a magic 8 ball for a head and a big coat. It carries a cane made of a stone-like material.

You approach it.

Courier: Oh it’s so…

Tiles: Confident? Fiery?

[Image: Smug_Gif.gif]

Courier: Smug. Real bastard energy on that one…

Tiles: It’ll help it survive, I think. We need to name it.
Courier: You got something in mind?

Tiles: Mm.. For you who have newly appeared in this world, I request your assistance.

You give it a little bow.

Tiles: I dub you Bastion, the keeper of my time and Envoy of Erosion. I do hope our partnership is fruitful for both of us.

Courier: Partnership? I thought it was yours to control?

Tiles: No, I merely guide it until we decide to go our separate paths.

Courier: So it can just leave?

Tiles: If it decided it no longer benefits…

Courier: Ah… so um… you had one of these when we found you, right?

Tiles: Mm…

Courier: Was that one alive too or…

Tiles:... I’d rather not talk about that, if it’s alright.

Courier: A-ah, sorry. I won’t press the matter if it’s a sore subject..

Tiles: It always is admittedly but… I’m not upset at you. Besides, I do genuinely wish to get to know you.

Courier: Same to you-

The two of you are cut off by a familiar rabbit.

Gallows: I’m back! I was able to set us up with breakfast in the other room, hopefully none of you mind that I covered this time.

Courier: Gallie! You missed it, it’s

Before xey could finish, he was already taking a good look at Bastion. He gave it a little wave.

[Image: fnal_time.png]

Gallows: I’ve never seen one of these so fresh off the press.. Read so much about them but it’s always so fascinating whenever I do see one..

Tiles: Glad you’re a fan.

Gallows: Top quality too, already has a strong feeling coming from it. Hello!

Bastion didn’t seem to particularly care for this.

Gallows: Geez, already a lot of personality to this one..

Tiles: I wouldn’t tempt fate, leave it be for now.

Gallows: Sorry! I was just excited… anyway, shall we go eat? I know neither of you have eaten in a bit..

Tiles: I would love that right now.

Gallows looks over at Courier.

Gallows: Especially you, you forget too often.

Courier: I’m not exactly used to having a stomach.

Gallows: You should be able to at least feel it.

Courier: I do and I hate it, but I’m too busy to sit down for lunch.

Gallows: Nonsense, you need to take care of yourself or you won’t get much done!

Courier: I suppose… you look out for me so much sometimes.

[Image: F8NCExH.png]

Gallows: You matter to me, I only want best….

Courier: Yes well…

Gallows: Plus we have a lot to cover right now. I need you two to help me on some jobs today.

Tiles: Let me hear it.

Gallows: So the pest situation is difficult and Scab doesn’t want us making a mess, so we’ll need to pick up some repellent from the shop. We’ll also need to meet up with Starman’s group. They’ll be at Dr. Smoke’s pub. There’s two ways in and both have their own risks right now.

Gallows: We can take the rooftops to avoid traffic and patrol. It’s potentially risky if we get caught. There’s another safehouse on the way if we do but we have to be very careful.

Gallows: The other way is through the secret tunnel.

Tiles: Secret tunnel?

Gallows: Secret tunnel! It’s set up by a bunch of sensitives using their magic to keep it under the radar. The one catch is the entrance way is difficult to find and calling the spot wrong well… is a bit of a terror.

Courier: Its residents are less than friendly toward those who fumble in and well, consist of everything you’d rather not run into at night. Otherworldly horrors beyond our vocabulary, manifestations of guilt, walking nightmare fuel, the works.

Gallows: Speak for yourself, some of those horrors are quite the look.

Courier: …What in the world has been haunting your dreams?

Gallows: Plenty.

Tiles: Do… do I want to know?

Gallows: Hard to say? Regardless, since you’re new we should probably give you the pick. I will say that you can probably repair your lance easily and avoid risking the crown spotting us if we take the latter but you don’t want to get lost on the way.

Courier: I think I would rather throw hands with the crown personally… but I’m more than game for either. I trust you.

Gallows: When we’re done we can all go out to get some ice cream. Anyway, your choice from here. 
Secret tunnels and the potential of running into otherworldly horrors and nightmare fuel is ALWAYS the right answer.
We'll get plenty of chances to fight the crown with us around, trust me. The tunnels should be a sight to see.
[Image: lil_lesbian.png]
The group of you sit down in the other room and have yourself a nice meal.

You’re filled in on the group’s motives, the Starman’s plans to out resource the Crown in the long run, and are filled in on the details of the trip you’re about to make.

A world hidden in enchanted mirrors, something out of a dozen children’s books you’ve grown up on. Hard to say if its creation was inspired by or the inspiration for. Sensitives with strong magic use it as a means to get around and handle business without the authorities giving issue.

It’s going to be rather risky, though between the three of you it should be fine.

After you’re done wrapping up, you three clean off your tables and make sure to thank Scab for the mean.

Despite just barely meeting these people, you feel a certain comradery and closeness you used to have…

You missed this.

You’re taken to a room in the basement with a big but otherwise seemingly ordinary mirror. You approach it first, getting a closer look. There’s someone there on the other side, not quite you.

[Image: unknown.png]

Tiles: So this is it? We just step through?

Gallows: Mm, assuming nothing is there to block your path. Usually things are calm around this time, only really gets risky at night.

Courier: Travel by night above and by day below.

Gallows: Exactly.

Tiles: I think someone is there…

Gallows: What do you mean?

Tiles: A stranger blocks our path.

Gallows: What do you see?

Tiles: Not myself but.. Someone who perhaps understands? Not sure what exactly but they certainly give me a strange feeling.

Gallows:... So is it not yourself in there?

Tiles: I don’t think so… they’re standing directly in front of the entrance.
Gallows: That’s an issue then.

Tiles: What do you mean?

Courier: You’re being challenged I think. If the mirror world thinks you may bring harm to it, you may run into some troubles.

Gallows: Mm, exactly. You have to either bargain, convince, or fight your way in. Failure to succeed in any of these fronts makes entry dangerous, might find yourself replaced with a doppleganger.

Tiles: What do you see? The way you’re describing this makes me worry.

Gallows: Nothing on my end.

Tiles: Should I talk to it?

Gallows: Possibly.

Courier: You could perhaps give it permission to enter? Maybe it wants to visit?

Gallows: It’s not a vampire but… that is an option. Be ready to take it down if it seems too wily. Some of them are docile, others are difficult to really trust.

Courier: Supposedly everyone’s got one yeah?

Gallows: Supposedly.

Courier: Never seen mine though…

Gallows: Don’t think yours would be much of a threat frankly, danger level is pretty reflective of your own.

Courier: What are you trying to say?

Gallows: Don’t think you’ve got a mean bone in your body, no offense.

Courier: Technically don’t have bones in the traditional sense but… I can have bite if I need to.

Gallows: Maybe.

Tiles: I mean xey are a sword, no?

Gallows: Just cause you’ve got teeth doesn’t mean you can tear into throats.

Tiles: A odd metaphor…

Gallows: Think it applies. Anyway we’ll have to do something about it, coming back later might take too long.

You step back and get a good look at the reflection. It's beautiful in a sort of abstract way. She talks to you in a voice not quite your own, more akin to the self you hear in your thoughts than what comes out of your mouth. It's both comforting and unnerving at the same time.

[Image: the_other_guy_small.png]

???: We’re planning to avenge everyone, no?

???: Miss them a lot, I imagine you do too?

???: But… I worry you won’t commit all the way.

???: Prove to me otherwise. If I can’t count on you, I’ll do what I have to myself.

???: We could be allies or we can be foes. No matter what, I won’t back down until you prove you can do the job.

???: Give us both the peace we desire.

Courier notices you fixating on the reflection.

Courier: You doing alright? Whatcha seeing now?

Gallows: Is it talking to you? What’s it saying?

???: Those your new friends?

???: They wish to harm me I think.. at least one of them certainly does.

???: Pick your next words wisely, might be all the difference in the world.
Hmm...in stories it's usually best practice to handle this sort of thing on a one-to-one basis, whether you're proving yourself through words or actions. Plus, intentionally provoking it doesn't seem like a great idea.

The best option I can think of is probably to calmly note that it merely seeks evidence of resolve without giving much more information to try to find a balance between not angering the magic mirror person and truth. Maybe ask for a bit of space for the moment so it's not quite as awkward as to talk to a mirror while being intensely watched?

Probably best to try to convince with words first, but if that goes poorly dueling is probably the answer.

If it's not handled one-on-one then it'd probably be best to fight it as quickly as possible, to avoid too much of a mess.
"It's a reflection of me, that's for sure. Much more on the executioner side... very driven. None of us are in danger, she's lost just as much as I have from what it sounds like. And..."
We can say this next part looking her directly in her eyes.
"I sincerely doubt she's the sort to take more away from me if she doesn't need to. We're just to sort to make those who have taken people from us bleed."
CW: Murder.

You make a gesture at your friends, signaling to them to lower their defenses.

Tiles: It's a reflection of me, that's for sure. Much more leaning on the executioner side... and very driven. 

Gallows: You trust her that easily?

Tiles: None of us are in danger, she's lost just as much as I have from what it sounds like. And…

You look your counterpart directly in the eyes.

Tiles: I sincerely doubt she's the sort to take more away from me if she doesn't need to. We're just the sort to make those who have taken people from us bleed.

Though faceless, the mirror form gives you a little chuckle. You can feel her almost smiling despite the lack of face.

???: Well said. I accept it.

???: Tell me this though, what would you do if I didn’t?

Tiles: Though I’d rather not, I’d be plenty willing to fight you. I’ll do what I must to get the job done.

???: Hmm… Do you know what happens to those slain by their doppleganger?

Tiles: I’ve heard stories of being replaced but..

???: Your body is taken and you are left in the mirror but…  Do you trust me knowing that?

Tiles: I don’t sense malicious intent from you. And I outnumber you.

???: You certainly do. Regardless, I don’t think it’ll come to that. Feel like things are in good hands. Besides, if you’re like me then well… you know how lonely it’s been. 

Tiles: Mm..

???: I am happy you’ve found some new friends recently though. Courier and Gallows I believe?

Courier: We just met but we’re hoping she’ll stay in our group. 

Gallows: Likewise, she has a good energy… though perhaps a big clumsy. 

Tiles: I didn’t expect to overshoot that badly… 

Gallows: I mean we’ve all done it, they’re spellbuckers. The giant rats of the angel variety as some would say.

He looks over at Courier.

Courier: Yeah….  Yours was probably the worst though.

Gallows: I don’t want to think about it… that poor bat. 

Tiles: Bat?

He shakes his head at you. 

Your mirror counterpart gestures you to get closer, leaning in to whisper something.

???: So… you managed a date too?

Tiles: I was in a room and everyone was blushing left and right… I couldn’t help it.

???: Understandable. Cute for a sword… you know if you’re not going to go after the rabbit though I might call dibs.

Gallows’ ears rose and he immediately pretended not to notice.

[Image: XBzlSMU.png]

Your mirror friend gives him a playfully flirty wave, he tries to hide the pink on his face. 

Tiles: Heh… anyway so…

???: Sorry to derail. 

Tiles: What can we call you?

???: Perhaps the name you’ve discarded while on your quest? Tutor and Tiles sounds like a nice pair.

Tiles: Mm… I’m not using it at the moment so it’d be fine for now I think. 

Tutor: Than Tutor it is.. It’s cathartic to be able to call myself that honestly. 

Tiles: I wish I could myself but… it’s not the name I want the crown to fear. 

Tutor: To give up your name for the sake of your fallen family… 

Tiles: I do what I have to. 

Gallows: H-hate to interrupt but… we need to get through… 

Tutor: Mm… you’re free to but I have to warn you of something.

Tiles: Is everything alright?

Tutor: I’m not sure, there’s someone in the corner lurking though… I think he wants his turn to talk. 

Tutor scoots to the side to allow you to get a clear view of the most bastardly person you’ve seen in a bit. 

???: I’ve just got business to attend to before I can let you go but… I know you’re all in a rush right now so I’ll just walk with you. 

Gallows grimaces

Gallows: Not today Eddie… 

Eddie: The man of blades, the banished prince.

Hero of a forbidden land.

Stormed the castle to free the crown.

Couldn’t afford to let them down.

Reached the top to slay the king.

Slew brother

Slew father

Slew the goddess too.

Back torn by his sword.

Flesh coiled by her graft.

For when split between two sides.

He chose the people he loved most. 

Gallows: Why are you doing this?

Eddie: You can’t pretend to have never known what you’ve lost. You can’t bury me with the rest of your hurt. Have at me, or I’ll drag the whole group into this.
That seems like part of a really long story uh. Gallows has gone through the mirror realm before? So they probably have some rough judgement as to what's the best move here. Maybe also ask if it does become a fight...any tips to beat the shit outta Eddie quickly?
Yeah, let's ask Gallows what they'd like us to do. I'd also say ignore the info we're getting from Eddie for now, if Gallows wants to talk about it later they can. But learning this info in this context doesn't feel right.
CW: Mentions of Parental Abuse and Death.

Two proxies emerge, mirroring each other with their guards up.

You look over at Gallows, he’s visibly very distressed.

Tiles: Is everything alright?

Gallows: No, not really. I’m not a big fan of having things I’d like to keep to myself spread out for those passing by to see.

Tiles: It seems wrong to have it told like this, I’d rather hear it from you if and when you’d be comfortable..

Gallows: Likewise…

Tiles: Do you have advice to fighting him?

Gallows: I think the threat alone would make him back off. He’s a bastard but far from a fool. Three vs One when I’m his equal would be his early demise.

Eddie interjects.

Eddie:You’re right that I’m not looking to fight, but I am looking for honesty. It’s my pain too, just as much my right to discuss. My other half may be one to bury things but I want closure.. And it’s denied.

Gallows: There’s nothing we can do about it anymore.

Eddie: No there’s not… though we did the best for others, we’ve left ourselves without a home to return to away from all this. One fight straight to the other.

Gallows: A fight worth pushing for.

Eddie: I understand that but… I’m so tired. You’re tired too.

Gallows: I’ll be fine.

Eddie: The rebel heir who burned down his kingdom.

Gallows: One that I no longer am…

Eddie: Proxy wrapped in the flesh of the family.

Gallows: Holding the king’s wrath in hand.

Eddie: And the queen’s soul in its bulb… though now it looks like yours has sealed up completely.

Gallows: It’s a past I wish to bury altogether.

Eddie: Never giving yourself the chance to grieve… it’s not good for you.

Gallows: No, but at the end of the day they weren’t worth grieving I don’t think.

Eddie: You still miss them.

Gallows: They were miserable to live with.

Eddie: Attempts at sell us off to another kingdom…

Gallows: The suffocating outfits that gave us health problems..

Eddie: Those dreaded  lessons…

Gallows: Struck one too many time to want to think about them.

Eddie: Mm..

Gallows: They were cruel to their kingdom.

Eddie: I know…

Gallows: I don’t understand why you have any grief left for them.

Eddie: We both do, I’m just honest.

Eddie: Perhaps I will have at thee in the end, there seems to be no means of us both getting what we want.

Gallows: You seek to fight a losing battle in the end?

Eddie: No.. I seek release from our burden.

Gallows: I can no longer do that, whether you like it or not. The contract-

Eddie: You and your dreaded deals with so many figures of the dark arts. I hate it. You’re going to cost us both dearly one day….

Gallows: What happens, happens.

Both of them sound genuinely miserable in this conversation.

You look over at Tutor for advice, she shakes her head at you just as confused. Courier is looking away altogether. Perhaps you can negotiate peace? Maybe your observant eye can see something? You’re losing so much time…..
Courier: Pardon! Trying to get a word in here!

Everyone’s attention immediately turns to the living sword.

Courier: Don’t know if it’s my place to talk, certainly not my dispute to resolve but…

Courier: I really don’t want to fight here.

Xey look directly at Eddie.

Courier: I don’t want to hurt you.

Eddie is immediately staggered, posture softening.

Eddie: I… don’t want to hurt you either.

Courier approaches the mirror, putting a hand through and offering it to him.

Eddie reaches a hand out in return but is reluctant to commit.

Eddie: I don’t know if I can let this go by but I don’t want to drag anyone I care about into this. You, the resistance, even our newcomer here is growing on me quickly…

Eddie: But… at the end of the day I do need to eventually address something he will not.

Eddie looks over at your rabbity ally.

Gallows: You drag up a past I’ve discarded time and time again-

Eddie: You haven’t. You are a liar and I exist as proof it still lingers on you. You may have burned down bridges and kingdoms to get where you are but your feelings on the matter are eating at you, eating at me! Until you do I will hunt you down until a change happens.

Gallows: And I will cut you down everytime.

Eddie: So be it then… for now I will retreat I think…

He turns his attention back to Courier.

Eddie: I’m sorry for being such trouble but…

Courier: I understand.

Eddie: You really meant that right? You still consider me a friend?
Courier: Mm, even if you’re a reflection you’re still welcome in my book.

Eddie: Thank you…

He turns toward you.

Eddie: We just met but I have a good vibe from you…

Eddie: I hope this isn’t strange to say but, you remind me of a good person I once knew.

Eddie: It feels selfish to attach lingering feelings toward you.. But it makes us feel safe.

Eddie: I do hope we become allies for a long time, him especially could do with more good folk.

Eddie ultimately doesn’t take Courier’s hand, retreating back into the darkness of the mirror.

Eddie: Heed one warning, do not dare enter here without something to cling onto.

Eddie: Know yourself, define yourself or you will vanish fade…..

After a pause, Courier lets out a sigh of relief.

Tiles: You made a good call there, how’d you know?

Courier: I just.. Felt it in my gut really. I figured if he’s a reflection it was worth a shot. I’m worried though, to be honest. That’s the worst I’ve seen him, Gallows…

Gallows: It’s… a lot on my shoulders. Courier and Starman know but I… I’d like to wait before I tell you. Though I imagine you already have speculations yourself so I should say sooner rather than later…

Gallows: For now we should scurry along I think, people are waiting. 

Gallows: Any questions before we dive in quickly?

Anura: Pick which aspects you wish to define yourself as. They will strengthen you, give you more definition for roleplay, and perhaps give you the strength you need in upcoming battle.

Thing You Fear:

Thing You Love:

Feelings On Party Members:

Favorite Meal:

Emotion you Carry into Combat:

A Fond Childhood Memory:

Questions for the DM:

Questions for your Party:

Thing You Fear: Failure, Collapse. For everything that led to this point to amount to nothing. For every drop of blood shed and every bead of sweat to be meaningless in the end. 

Thing You Love:
Protecting what little pieces of safety and comfort exist for others in a world filled with sorrow and strife.

Feelings On Party Members: They all seem like competent and good folk. Hopefully, they'll survive.

Favorite Meal:
Something consistent and plain, that can be achieved even when one's far from the familiar.

Emotion you Carry into Combat: Duty and Dread, in equal measure. The need to move forward and the knowledge of what failure entails.

A Fond Childhood Memory: Perhaps something regarding a notable mentor. Maybe something with whoever taught stuff about knighthood?

Questions for the DM: Catch the DM off guard with something only tangentially related to the game: What's the ideal mirror, in general? What's the best possible mirror? What is the epitome of reflection? It's always fun to ask questions to get to know people.

Questions for your Party: Maybe ask something simple. One possibility is to uh, steal that above question in character as well. Or, maybe ask about something a bit calmer to try to lower the stakes from what just happened. How about uh, weirdest dish you've ever made? Or maybe...if you could have any fashion accessory, what would it be?
Thing You Fear: Not living up to the title we've taken on. For our family having died in vain.

Thing You Love: Honestly? Piecing our armor and gear back together again, for ourself and others. It's very methodical, but it still takes heart. And it can be a helpful way to unwind after a log day of fighting. It's important to focus on fixing things, rather than just breaking the bad.

Feelings On Party Members: Honestly? They're all cute, for sure, but I haven't gotten a good grip of who they are yet. I'd like to know them more, but we'll see if we get that chance.

Favorite Meal: Sausages, fried mushrooms, and toasted bread. A favorite breakfast of ours.

Emotion you Carry into Combat: Responsibility. While it isn't solely up to us to fight, without us others would get hurt. Things tend to get a lot worse when we aren't fighting.

A Fond Childhood Memory: Playing with our siblings with toy swords in the backyard. Our childhood pet bounding alongside us as we did, trying to be included any way it could. Making paper lanterns at the end of that night, and letting them float away without having to worry of them giving away our position. Living was simpler back then.

Questions for the DM: Hmm. I don't have many questions, besides one. If our character got replaced with her mirror form, how would that affect gameplay? Would that be a "game over?"

Questions for your Party: What sort of folk can we expect to encounter in the mirror realm? Is the environment tricky to make your way around? And... what did Eddie mean about needing something to hold onto?
[Image: ozFKiAB.png]

Kolita: I got my answers I think-

Anura: Hold them off for in-game, these will do a little for you in just a moment.

Kolita: Oh?

Anura: A chance. Your character is quite weakened and your skillset lacks the fleshing out you’d expect from someone who’s a trained knight, no?

Kolita: A little…

Anura: You’ll see then soon.

Kolita: Do have questions for you specifically though.

Anura: Mm, that’s true.

Kolita: What’s the perfect mirror? Like… what’s the ideal one? And if we get replaced do we get a game over?

Anura: The idea of creating perfect reflection is difficult to give a clear answer on but there’s certainly a detail that you may have noticed. Tutor’s limb is fractured. For a knight of this era, your weapon is your life. To have no arm is to lose your arm, you understand?

Kolita: Absolutely, I wouldn't want to be caught in this situation myself..

Anura: It represents your ability to stand up for others and yourself. To lose such a thing can be massively disheartening, especially when you’ve lost access to a guild that’ll repair or replace it.

Anura:. The mirror world grants an opportunity to draw a new hand. Cast away the old for something refined. What you have is broken weapons, a bit of knowledge, and a magic system. What you lack is skill. This place is where you truly define your playstyle from now on. Do *not* waste your shot.

Kolita: Sure wouldn’t be opposed. Guessing that’s what the prompts were for?

Anura: Absolutely. Now… shall we resume?

Kolita: You didn’t answer that last part…

Anura: For now I’d say avoid being replaced. I doubt it’d happen anytime soon, lest your mirror counterpart become concerned you’d do wrong.

Kolita: I guess so… one last question?

Anura: Oh?

Kolita: Do you like chocolate cake?

Anura:... Any reason?

Kolita: Just checkin in.

Anura: I love any sort of chocolate honestly.. Could do with some.

Kolita: Noted. Guess that’s everything for now.

Anura: Hmm….  Back to the game I suppose.

Kolita: Mm.

[Image: XBzlSMU.png]
Tiles: I’m just about ready but I have a few questions.

Gallows: We should make it quick, we’ve already been delayed enough.

Tiles: Right so… What’s the ideal mirror? Seems like you were at odds with yours…

Gallows: The ideal mirror is the one that’s not a nuisance. Unfortunately mine is... Yours seems fine thankfully though she seems to have left for now..

Tiles: I do hope she’s okay…

Courier: Sure she is, that world isn’t particularly hostile toward reflections and if she’s a knight like you I imagine she’d hold her own no?

Courier: She does have me worrying about you though…. Overheard your conversation a little.

Tiles: Ah…
Courier: Promise we’ll do everything we can to let you get back at the crown, and we’ll keep you safe.

Tiles: You’ve hardly known me.

Gallows: Aye, but a comrade is a comrade. Starman might be a little hard at first though, they tend to be cautious.

Courier: They’re a kind person at heart but… they won’t let you in without proving you’re someone they can lean on in a pinch.

Tiles: Suppose there’s no issue with being selective during a conflict like ours.

Courier: Almost skewered me early on…

Gallows: To be fair you’re using the body of an enemy, he had more than reason to be cautious…

Courier: Mm… didn’t really choose to be fair. Just ended up thrusted in here.

Gallows: Yeah that’s my bad…

Courier: I got to meet all of you so it’s alright! Anyway, be on your best behavior when we meet them.

Gallows: Mm… Shall we commence?

Tiles: One final thing actually… Eddie said to cling onto something, to risk fading… What goes on in this world?

Gallows: Ah.. he’s absolutely right on that. The mirror world is a haven so long as you don’t let it drag at you too much. Being in there changes you overtime in subtle ways.

Gallows:  Many cases it’s beneficial, but if you spend too much time inside it’ll start warping you, unveiling things in your heart and making them real. Being injured in there may also not strike for lethal the way it would here, but it speeds up the process. It can be reversed but it’s a terrible state to be in.

Gallows: You’ll meet all sorts of folks in there, many just passerbys using the shortcuts like us or those needing retreat from the crown’s grip.

Gallows: Some have become part of that world as if it were their home. They’ll do anything to protect it from harm.

Gallows: We’ll be with you though and we’re just passing by ourselves, you’ll be safe. 
[Image: F8NCExH.png]

Gallows: I really do mean it now, we need to go. Shall we?

Courier: I’m set.

Tiles: Mm, same…

Courier goes ahead and gives you a wave as xey jump through. You follow behind, looking back at Gallows who gives you an assuring nod.

You take the plunge.

It’s cold and overwhelming like jumping into a lake in winter.
At first it’s terrifying, every breath fills your lungs with something not quite air. It shocks your body a little…

After a moment you find yourself stabilizing. Your surroundings start to materialize in your eyes..

You’re in the middle of a tight street. A tower in the distance menaces you. There’s all sorts of long black threads connected by poles and metal domes attached to the buildings nearby. You see a large metal beast of a machine in the background crawl across the ground. You’re a little unnerved by it’s howl…

None of your party members seem to be around. Instead facing you is a stranger in a coat.

They’re looking directly at you.
???: Been monitorin’ you and your little friend group’s interactions just now. Seems like you’re new to this place.

???: I staggered their landing in this world, they’ll be here soon enough but I need a few minutes with you.

???: This place will eat you up alive if you aren’t prepared.

??? And no offense, I take it you aren’t at ye best at the moment.

???: I don’t want you getting hurt because you can’t walk on yer own legs.

???: Prove to me you can hold yer own.

???: Keep me at bay til your friends show up and I’ll reward you greatly.

??? Fail and I’ll send you home. How you’d like to settle this is up to you.

???: Your torture ahead  is yours to choose. The lot of you listening can figure it out.

Ah well. This mystery figure has made themselves pretty clear so I guess. Look them in the eyes. Take a couple paces back, draw thy weapon, and ask for their name of course. They seem like someone interesting. Might as well take this test as an opportunity to meet someone new.
Let's get into Balanced Stance, then start a conversation if we can.
"Pretty kind of you to look out for newbies. Hope I don't disappoint."

Question to Anura: After that, I have a bit of an odd idea. Things that spend a long time in here have a possibility or warping. Does that extend to our weapons, as an extension of us? If we channel our hopes to prove ourself and make our family proud into our weapon, can we make it change? Or would we need to be in the mirror realm longer for that sort of thing to be able to take effect?

(OOC: By "the lot of you listening," do they mean us? The forum goers? Or am I reading too deep into that?)

You look the stranger directly in the eye, taking a moment to step back to gain some safe distance, and raise your weapon. 

???: Ah, combat? I suppose that makes sense, a knightly looking person would be good at sparring. 

Tiles: Of course. It’s pretty kind of you to look out for newbies, hope not to disappoint. 

???: Likewise, keep it clean shall we?

Tiles: Mm, may I have a name?

???: Fielder, and you?

Tiles: Tiles.

Fielder: Wear your family name as yours… good. 

Fielder: Loyalty to yourself is a value people don’t appreciate enough I don’t think. Yer interesting for certain.

Fielder: Protect your pride. 

You take up a balanced stance. 

Fielder starts approaching. 

Fielder: Walking is always a free action til you’ve managed yourself in lancing range. Don’t commit your swing without a follow up, lest you wish to be punished fatally. 

Tiles: The principles of fighting. 

Fielder: Exactly. Commence. 

Your character sheet adjusts to reflect. Your Combat Menu pops up. You may fight in however manner you can freeform but these might help.

MAGIC COMMANDS

REINFORCE: Make your body as sturdy as armor, taking hits from physical blows and weapons with your skin. Equips a page of choice, sturdiness varies on said page. Taking too much damage will BURN the PAGE, deleting from inventory.

RETRIBUTION: Slam your body or limbs into a creature with enchanted energy to record them. Successful knockdown will grab you at least 1x Pages associated with the target.

BESTIARY: Able to fend opponent off with a strike emulating a memory of a living creature you’ve encountered. This is channeled through your BUNBUD. The form taking a lethal blow will BURN the PAGE

RECALL: Use a “Memory” Page of an event to buff and/or heal yourself or others. Effectiveness depends on the page used.

BLITZ: Burn any page to slam the target full force with full body invincibility. Can be used in a panic to break walls, doors, or get out of a struggle.

LAUNCHER: Slam your opponent with the blunt of your weapon hard enough to knock them in the air helplessly.

(NEW)
AVANT GARDE: Gain a free REINFORCE buff for one hit when you initiate a fight yourself.

COMBAT INVENTORY

PAGES x 5 (Breakfast Memory, Old Rubbish Pile, Spellbuckler Memory x 3)

BUNBUD: Bastion EQUIPPED (Status: Healthy/Smug)

Crown Lance EQUIPPED (Status: Broken)

Friend’s Sword (Status: Good)

Retribution’s Cookbook EQUIPPED(Status: Worn)

Knight’s Gown EQUIPPED (Status: Okay)

Bookworm Remnant EQUIPPED

It seems by that last command you’re already seeing payoff…. 

You have initiative, you have a free RETRIBUTION armor buff.

Kolita: Had a bit of a thought.

Anura: Oh?

Kolita: Things go and warp while they’re in this world right? Does that include our weapons? 

Anura: It would! Your character considers her weapon part of her, down to her mirror missing an arm cause her lance broke. Pretty smart catch honestly. This world can accelerate physical growth drastically since it’s hard to become hulked out over a few days or master skills in general. 

Anura: Some of it's good for you, some of it comes at a cost. You know how it is.

Kolita: Is clinging onto family pride something that might change that? 

Anura: You really like that part of the character huh?

Kolita: Little bit… resonates. 

Anura: Not surprised honestly, you look the type. Anyway you’ll see soon enough.

(OOC: I can’t specify)
reinforce w/ breakfast memory, bestiary with spellbuckler
[Image: TCP%20customs.png][Image: 2411]
How many combat commands can we do a turn?
I know the Reinforce command is free because of Avant Garde, maybe we can attack, let them attack, and then hit back with a Retribution? I think we could get some really interesting scraps from this guy.
OOC: Actions will be sequenced based on suggestions. Multiple people suggesting the same command will increase the likelyhood of it being included.
I think I might have an interesting idea for what to do to start off (stealing heavily from previous suggestions)-

AVANT GARDE & REINFORCE w/breakfast memory, then use LAUNCHER to get a clear opening by punting them into the sky, and nail them with RETRIBUTION on the way down.

CW: Blood and Mild Violence.

You cast REINFORCE immediately using a breakfast memory. Because of your AVANT GARDE it was free to cast, your page is not compromised for one charge.

Your little buddy of a puppet Bastion is manifested in a new form, appearing as a Spellbuckler. It’s oddly smug about this.

You initiate the first move, swinging hard with the blunt end of your lance.

Fielder manages to back away in time, only to be shoulder tackled into the ground. Your boosted sturdiness from RETRIBUTION makes the impact like being hit by a wall. You gain a page, "MIRROR FRAGMENT."

Your moment of advantage is cut short.

craaaaaaAAAAAACK...

Your ribs are jabbed with enough force to wind you instantly. Some sort of bullet? A throwing knife?

Your mind is blasted with images of your failure, being unable to even get past this first starting portal. 

What hit you? A Poison dart?

You check your wounds.

It’s… a playing die?

You’re staggered pretty hard right now.

Your mind is filled with images of your potential failure.

Every worst case scenario loops over and over.

After a bit you start to regain your senses.

Fielder begins to lumber back onto his feet.

Fielder: Looks like you’ve gotten a terrible roll, your body is cursed right now.

Fielder: Haven’t gotten this lucky in a bit.

He throws a wide kick, you barely managed to block

Fielder: Good, you still have plenty of fight in you.

Your Status is MILDLY DELIRIOUS but otherwise MOSTLY HEALTHY

Your REINFORCE boost is compromised, another hit will shatter it.

Fielder: I don’t want to see any messing around..

Fielder: This may be a spar but I want you to fight with everything.

Fielder: It's honest that way.

The images start to flash even harder..

You failure to protect your family... 

The fear of dying on the street...

Those who sold you out.

Your heart is inflicted with a terrifying fear.

The kind that'll make you do anything to survive right now.

Make your next turn count.

Take either a tactical or execution stance, I'm not sure.
Recall using Spellbuckler, hoping to buff us or Bastion
Blitz with our last Spellbuckler
CW: Mild Violence

You take the EXECUTION stance. You’ve traded in safety for increased power and lethality.

Your opponent eyes you carefully, anticipating the strike from your weapon.

The tension of the fight in this world makes something feel different, a change coming in…

You mutter your RECALL with the spellbucker memory.

You feel your symptoms lesson and your would heal just a touch..

Your status is UNEASY but otherwise MOSTLY HEALTHY

Your page burns.

Finally you activate one last charge of Spellbucker

Your page burns.

He fires another shot at you, a metal fragment this time.

You see it coming.

You go all out in a powerful BLITZ and slam into your opponent.

Your brief boost of durability rams through his projectile.

He seems genuinely shocked

He lets out a scream as he’s headbutted directly and drops into the concrete hard.

He is currently FLOORED. His Status is CONCUSSION.

You worry you’ve overdone it..

He struggles to get back up after that…

Fielder: Big risk taken there, admire that..

Fielder: Wasn’t expecting someone to have a spell like that on hand, certainly not one I’ve seen.

Fielder: But nonetheless applauded.

Fielder: You need guts in this world…

He spits blood onto the ground

Fielder: I need just a moment, this form isn’t quite as durable as I’d like admittedly…

Fielder: Consequence of fighting mortals on their level I suppose..

Fielder: Can ye believe I’m crying? Involuntary response…

Fielder: Just one moment and we can continue…

He looks pretty miserable right now. 

Ah yikes, didn't realize how powerful that would be.

Let's take a Balanced Stance again and back off, asking,
"Ah, sorry, I can get a bit frightful when cornered. You sure you want to keep going?"

If he says yeah, maybe do another Retribution? We're gonna need more pages. Not sure what else, though perhaps it's be wise to hold our blows a bit. Maybe just aim to strike him, not anything too fancy?

Also, question for Anura, can we give Bastion commands just as we can Gallows, or is it a bit too much of a bastard for that?
 You back off and give the poor bastard some space.

Tiles: Ah, my apologies. Get a bit frightful when in a pinch.

Fielder: Ye don’t say? Nearly did me in for a moment.

Tiles: Are you sure you want to keep going?

He manages to get back up onto his feet.

Fielder: Difficult to say really. You’ve more than proven you have a sense of fight.

Fielder: Though I suppose that shouldn’t be surprising, it’s quite obvious you’re a knight.

Fielder: Will say, you shouldn't let most opponents recover when they’ve been downed, you wanna close fights but…

Fielder: I respect yer sense of honor.

Fielder: I’ll recover quickly, already regaining my senses as we speak.

Tiles: You took a pretty heavy blow to the head.

Fielder: Not mortal, creation of this world really.

Fielder: Disembodied soul that’s melted with the place. One of many meant to watch over the realm.

Tiles: Do you gatekeep everyone?

Fielder: Not always myself but plenty of us exist. This world is supposed to be magic folk’s sanctuary from government rule.I make sure to keep the upcoming conflict out of here so that they can hide out and travel without going through checkpoints

Fielder: You happening to come in wearing the uniform of a fighter? Absolutely a bit of a concern though..

Fielder: I can tell you’re no dog of the king with that said.

Fielder: You came with two others, no?

Tiles: I did, where are they?

Fielder: Looking for you more than likely, one of them is close by.

Fielder: Can detect presences pretty far in this world, nothing gets past me.

Fielder: On a side note, looks like you’ve already grown some from being here. Outfit’s got that asymmetry thing some folks really like.

Tiles: So I have to ask, how much did you change from being here?

Fielder: Hmm… this certainly isn’t my original form by any means but one I’m pretty comfortable with none the less. Take that as you will.

Fielder: With that said you face a few potential friends and foes up ahead. Lucky for you, time is different here. What might seem like hours is mere minutes out there. Don’t worry about being too slow.

Tiles: I was about to say…

Fielder: And don’t be afraid to get comfortable with this world.. But not too comfortable. Changes that come as a result can be good, but the temptation to stay here and become one with the world is always a concern.

Tiles: Is that what happened to you?

Fielder: Wouldn’t say that. Anyway I suppose I’ll present to you a choice.

Fielder: We can continue to spar and you could potentially grow some more…

Fielder: Or you can stop now, take your loot, and I’ll guide you wherever need be.

Fielder: But I don’t want any mercy if we resume, you already gave too much and ye don’t got the resources to keep doing that.

[Image: ozFKiAB.png]

Kolita: Quick question, Can I give commands to my little buddy here?

Kolita: Seems like a bit of a bastard but I figure if Gallows takes orders it can too?

Anura: Oh, it’s essentially a second party member at any time! Usually weaker but it should be good!

Anura: Command to your heart's content! Just be nice and ask please and thank you!
I do not wish you ill, we will stop, lest I do permanent harm. I will not build my strength off of such things as harming anyone but an enemy. Besides, I would not help but give mercy to one who has not wronged me.

to Anura: I get the feeling we could have used any contest in place of this fight, would you have vetoed it if I asked for a duel via a children's card game? just curious.
As tempting as that is, I think you mentioned my friends are looking for me? I'd hate to worry them further. I'm sure I'll get another chance to spar here again, be it with you, or someone else on my path. If you'll lead the way, I'll gladly take my leave. I would love the chance to fight you again in the future, if you're up for it.
bonus question to Anura: are there any chances in the future where we could potentially determine important plot outcomes with a card game?

Tiles: As much as the offer tempts me, you haven’t wronged me in any way and I have friends to catch up with. I’d hate to worry them further… you have my mercy.

Fielder: Understandable move, ye got your priorities right now. Must say though I wouldn’t mind a rematch at some point.

Tiles: I’m sure I’ll spar again, whether it be you or someone else on my path… now if you could leave the way I’ll gladly take my leave but I’d love a chance to fight you again in the future.

Fielder: Absolutely, something more formal perhaps. Now allow me to lead.

The two of you make your way out of the tiny corner you brawled in and toward the bigger streets. They were just as perpetually soaked as the ones in your world but with a glossiness akin to oil all across the main roads. Shadows that vaguely resemble people in a crowd casually passed you with little acknowledgment

Fielder: Don’t mind them, just reflections of the surface world.

Tiles: Can they be harmed? Or harm me for that matter?

Fielder: Nah, not the same as the ones you or your friends might encounter of yourselves. They’re merely illusionary until someone steps through the glass.

Tiles: Noted…

Fielder: Your friends are the rabbit and the sword yes?

Tiles: Mmhmm. I take it you’re monitoring them?

Fielder: Monitor everyone, have to keep an eye out for crown business. As I said, place is meant to be a haven for those avoiding the rule above.  They’re just around the corner.

Tiles: That was fast….

Fielder: I didn’t take you that far off from your path. I would’ve bounced you back though if you couldn’t prove to have fight.

Tiles: Mm….

Fielder: I’m gonna send ye off with them. Between you and me I got a few comments on those two.

Tiles: Oh?

Fielder: Both of them are certainly… interesting. Rabbit there? Got some kind of twisted magic to him, gave me a real run for me money. Yer lucky to have him on your side because he’s a bit troublesome when he doesn’t like you.

Fielder: And sword there? Xey managed to get through with wits alone. Don’t always need to fight when you’re good with words ye know? Plus I couldn’t be mean to a face that sweet. Anyway keep them close, got a feeling they might be lucky for ye.

Tiles: I’ll do my best, I really do want to get to know them better.

You see them in the distance ahead. You give them a little wave.

Fielder: Wish you luck in that regard. Now I’m off if that’s fine with you, I’ll be keeping an eye. You’re welcome here.

Tiles: Of course-

As you turn, Fielder has vanished.

Courier: There you are! Who were you talking to just now?

Tiles: The watchmen of this place I think… they’re gone though.

Gallows: Ah, yeah that happens. There’s a few of them around here. Don’t tend to be big fans of me but we respect each other enough.

Tiles: Oh?

Gallows: Is what it is I supposed. You alright? You look a bit different.

Courier: Got a bit of a wardrobe change it’d seem.

Tiles: Happens in this place apparently…

Gallows: Ah… you might’ve discovered the start of some good magic. We can talk about it in a bit, have a secondary objective of sorts here before we meet Starman.

Courier: Do we? I wasn’t told anything.

Gallows: Mm. Have to meet up with a potential ally who could net us a lot of assistance in the effort. She’s on the way to our exit point-

Before he can even get any words out, the rabbit's hit with the sheer impact of a large, fancily dressed woman of an ambiguous species practically tackling him, picking him up and spinning him into a hug as best as she can with a scepter in hand.

????: Gallows! I can't believe I happened to run into you! My sweet little-
 She stops her spin as she notices you and Courier, using her scepter to steady both her and Gallows

You give a little wave, not wanting to interrupt the two of them but clearly catching her attention. 
 Gallows: Missed you, really wish you hadn't caught me in the middle of work right now honest...

She can't help but pout a bit, settling for placing a kiss right between his ears.
 ????: I was hoping we could squeeze a date in...

????: But the crown never rests, right?

Gallow: Never does... Might have some free time latter tonight after this job though. You busy yourself? Wouldn't mind you walking with us on the way.

????: Yes please.

????: I'm on my way to my own business with the gang, but when I saw you, they said I could go on ahead and we could rendezvous later.

????: Guess I wouldn't have had time to stick around either, but a girl can dream, right?

Gallows: We'll make up for it soon, been too long really... anyway I've got a new person with me so It'd be good to introduce them properly.

????: I see this...always nice to see you too, Courier. 

????: Forgive my manners, you know how I get around him.

Courier: I know how it is, can't blame you two for being excited. Honestly if we weren't handling something right now I'd say just drop him off later.

????: Oohh, an offer to snatch him away...another time!

????: For now...

She turns to face you, still holding Gallows in a squeeze. 
 ????: I am the almighty Court Wizard! Supposed necromancer, boss of spectral crime, and local lover of particular rabbits!

????: But you're a friend of Gallows, so just Motley will do unless we're in public.

You give a little bow in return. 
 Tiles: The Last Knight of Tiles, Tiles for short.

Motley: A knight?

Motley: Hmmm.

Motley: What's the story there?

Kolita: Quick question, could I have challenged Fielder to anything else?

Anura: A little.. but it feels right for the character to do a actual spar honestly? So don't feel bad.

Kolita: Huh... and could I have challenged them to a card game?

Anura: If you had thought about it sure, one of your party members sure did. I think you can figure out who! 

Kolita: What a dork.
Well, I'm the last of my line, as the name would suggest. Took up my family's mantle to carry on their legacy, to protect people, and to avenge them.

Gallows here found me in rough shape a few nights ago... I had bitten off more than I could chew and the crown sought to make an example of me and my companions at the time. My gear is still busted from the event, but I'm working with what I've got. And working alongside Gallows and Courier has been more than helpful for getting me back on my feet, I only hope I can repay them fairly as I work with them.

Tiles: Well, as my name would suggest I’m the last of my line..

Tiles:  I took up my family’s name to carry their legacy, protect others and avenge them.

Tiles: Gallows found me in rough shape a few nights ago.. Bit off more than I can chew and the crown sought to make an example out of me and my companions at the time. My gear’s still busted from the event…

Tiles: At this point I’m left working with what I have..

Tiles: Being alongside Gallows and Courier has done a lot to help me get back on my feet. I can only hope to repay them as I work with them..

Motley: Well, you're in good hands.

Motley: Gallows and I met on a chance encounter, followed by a pleasant evening...

Motley: But since then, we not only have our time as partners, but as comrades in the fight against the crown!

Motley: A friend of his is a friend of mine, especially if they're helping on our quest.

Gallows: Aye.

The rabbit turns to look at you.

Gallows: I know you've got your own goals but I hope you stick around a good while, someone like you would do a ton for us. 

Courier: Every person matters in the effort even if it seems like the impact we're making is small right now.

Tiles: Absolutely. I have plenty of plans of my own but at least for now having a group to support me...

Tiles: It's something I've missed...

Tiles: The loss of my guild has made life lonely to be blunt.

Motley: Consider our ragtag group a new home, then!

Motley: I'm not around a whole lot, but I'll make sure to swing by and make sure you're settling in.

Motley: And if you're ever in Cups, hit me up. That's my town.

Motley: Are we getting moving, then?

Gallows: Mm, we have someone to pick up before we finish our venture here. Someone who could be a massive ally in the effort... 

Courier: You never did explain, when were you told of this? Starman never said anything to me...

Gallows: I have my methods. Now follow me...

You can't help but raise a brow at how much this rabbit is keeping hidden from everyone but you're braced for anything. You certainly feel stronger after your spar earlier. 

This world is doing something to you for certain.

He stops at a house and signals for everyone to stop.

Gallows: You all ready? You're about to meet our secret weapon...

Gallows: Motley, you mind watching the door for a sec?

Motley: No prob at all, sweetheart!

She leans against the wall, tapping her sceptre against her shoulder. 

Motley: I'll hang tight.

The rabbit gives her a smile. 

Gallows: Appreciated, signal if anything goes screwy.

Motley: You got it!

She blows a kiss for emphasis.

Gallows returns the gesture before knocking on the door.

A voice like soft gravel speaks up from the other side.

???: Are you the delivery man?

Gallows: Just a passing wanderer looking for a cup of flour.

???: How many?

Gallows: Three, plus a watchman outside.

???: Come on in…

The door creaks open, Gallows leads you inside. You file in one at a time.

You can hear a kettle heating up tea. The scent of lavender fills the room from the scented candles. It’s cozy….

There’s a reflection much like Yours and Eddie from earlier settled in, a distinct shyness in her posture and tone.

[Image: gif_flicker_2.jpg]

???: You actually came..

Gallows: As promised, couldn’t help but sympathize with your particular position.

???: Mm, thank you.. You’re certain you’re okay with helping me?

Her form flickers.

Gallows: Of course, just need you to fill these two in.

???: Simple enough.

She turns her attention toward you, cheeks immediately turning bright.

???: A knight? A rather well dressed one at that… I wasn’t anticipating you’d go this far for me…

[Image: MOSHED-2022-4-24-3-52-17.gif]

???: Would you like a bit of tea? It’s nothing special but..

[Image: MOSHED-2022-4-24-4-23-26.gif]

Her form seems to keep destabilizing. 

???: Ah, this is embarrassing. I'm sorry....
There's no need to apologize, it's perfectly alright. Some tea would be lovely.

OOC: This is the second time our clothes have been mentioned while we're here - did they change during the battle? What about them changed?
give her a cute look and say that you're here to help 

but also do it flirtatiously

Tiles: There’s no need to apologize, it’s perfectly alright. I'm here to help.

You give her a cute look in response, vocal tone a little flirtatious to test the waters here.

Tiles: Some tea would be lovely.

???: O-Of course, just a moment.

She sprints off to grab some for you.

Courier and Gallows are shaking, trying their very hardest not to let out a laugh.

Tiles: What’s so funny?

Courier: You just always seem so serious and then you have moments like these, it throws me off.

Gallows: I’m not one to speak but… it’s a little amusing.

Tiles: I’m allowed…

The reflection returns with a tray of tea in hand. She nudges a particular cup at you.

???: This one is yours! I do hope everyone likes it….

Gallows: It’s lovely.

Courier: Thank you so much!

Tiles: I needed this to be quite honest…

???: You're welcome to as much as you'd like.

You look at your cup of tea.

Little patterns. Diamonds like your outfit and tiny hearts…

How do you even do that with tea?

???: So... what would you like me to tell you?
Well, how about your name? And what we can help you with, of course.
 Tiles: Well your name for starters, you haven’t told us yet.

???: Ah! Certainly... Crème Sandia. As for my request well…

Crème: It’s complicated and you have a right to refuse.

Gallows: Do you want me to explain?

Crème: It’d be best if I did it myself.

Crème: As you can see I am a reflection, one of someone with a lot of authority and funding in Crown circles. I’m sick of it.

Courier: You’re with the Crown?

Crème: Absolutely not! My surface world counterpart is. I was created a good long time ago when she was a fledgling sorcerer and well… we went our separate ways.

Crème: She distanced herself from me while I was left here forced to watch her tarnish our name and sell our culture to those above.

Tiles: You’re asking us to do a hit job?

Crème: Not quite… She wanders in here often, one of the few figures of the crown aware of this little pocket world.

Crème: I want you to help me ambush her during her daily stroll and land a lethal blow on her.

Crème: Doing so will allow me to replace her in the physical world.

Crème: I have many I miss up there… she refuses to visit anyone from before.

Crème: Her work goes toward crown military. It disgusts me….

Crème: I know it’s a lot to ask someone something like this but… I could be a useful ally to your cause. I’d be more than glad to burn down the crown at this point by contributing my assets toward your effort.

Crème: And perhaps I’d like to get to know some knights..

She blushed.

Crème:  I hope I don’t sound horrible for asking such a task...
This seems like a very reasonable request. Accepted.
I assume you've already tried a heart to heart with her to no avail... don't worry. I don't think any less of you for asking for this.

I accept the request, but I will need more pages to work with. I unfortunately burned through quite a few getting here, and I don't want to go into a battle with a high-ranking official without the proper supplies.

(Let's try the tea as we say this, I'm curious what flavor it'll be)

Tiles: I assume you’ve already tried a heart to heart with her to no avail…

Crème: Mm… I wish I didn’t have to consider such a drastic option…

Tiles: Don’t worry, I don’t think any less of you for asking. There are some where words will never be heard.

Tiles: When those bring harm to others, the option is to fight.

Her ears perk up.

Crème: Do you mean-

Tiles: I accept your request but…

Crème: But..?

Tiles: I need more pages to work with. I burned through quite a few to get here and I’d prefer not to go into a battle with a high ranking official unprepared.  I need proper supplies for a job like this.

Crème: You can look through my storage room, I’ve collected quite a few curiosities…

Tiles: That’d be wonderful…

You finally take a sip of your tea.

She watches nervously.

It immediately warms up your chest and stomach. After being in the cold all day this is doing wonders.

The flavor is minty, maybe with a tinge of raspberry and chocolate? It’s layered with a sharply sweet aftertaste.

You give Crème a smile.

Tiles: That’s quite lovely actually… Thank you.

Crème: Of course! Anything else I can do for you…?

tell us more about the hit, what should we know about her (and yourself) before going into this?

Tiles: Tell us more about this hit job? We need to know a bit more about her…

You reach for a hand.

Tiles: And you as well. I’d like as much information as possible before going further.

Crème: I suppose you do…

She traces a finger on the wall behind the two of you to project a image.

Crème: This is the other me. We’re both quite skilled at magic, I think her more so than me these days. It makes it quite difficult for me to really even attempt to take her on anytime she strolls through here. I’m so little a threat in her mind she doesn’t seem to care. She’s got a nasty talent with axes as well..

Crème: She carries a rather large one on her person, mocks me for being unable to carry it in my weaker state….

Crème: She runs through here regularly as a means to get from place to place. I’ve made attempts of my own but I only find myself on the bad end of a blade repeatedly.

Tiles: You still haven’t given up though.

Crème stands upright, resolve in her posture.

Crème: Never. I want my life back, I want to go back to using magic to help others. I’ll genuinely give you anything at this point if you were to make it happen.

Crème: I hate the idea of trapping someone here in my place but more so the suffering she causes….

Crème: Whatever it takes to undo our sins.

Crème: And… perhaps once I’m free we could get to know each other more? Even if just friends. Your flirtations make me happy but there is no pressure to commit further than that.

Crème: Though perhaps it’s selfish to ask for anything right now..

Crème: In my current state I cannot follow you three back to your world. Such a limitation can be an emotional burden for many.

Crème: No matter what happens though, I wish to assist your cause.

Crème: So please, anything and everything I can do for you I am willing to. 
what kinds of things can you do here in the mirror world to aid us? are there allies we can build up here, supplies we can take into our world? what kind of sway do you have here?

also, where can we start on the hit? should we go directly to her, or is there anywhere we need to stop first?
Axes, you say...I'll have to keep that in mind.
Is there a way to keep her from casting? Is there a way we could keep her from reaching her scraps, if we keep her hands busy?
Which does raise the question, how does she use magic? What's her scrap specialty? What should we expect from her?

Tiles: Where do we go to do the hit? Should we start with her or do we have any stops to handle first?

Tiles: I'd like to be as well prepped as possible.

Crème: I know where she’ll be. She tends to linger around the part of town where the unmarked lie. It’s a personal thing with both do almost daily.. 

Crème: She’ll also have an attendant with her. He’s 19 or so and desperately needs the job to help his family. I’d like you to not hurt him if possible...

Tiles: What resources can we get in this world to aid us? Any allies? Supplies? What kind of sway do you have here?

Crème: I’ve collected many weapons in my attempts to break her down but they’re mostly shattered. If one of you has use for them I could absolutely?

Tiles: About your other self? Axes you say? I’ll have to keep that in mind..

Crème: Mm. She’s able to cast magic by swinging her axe around. I can do the same with a sword but I’ve lost so many fights with her that she’s genuinely weakened me… Combat in this world is about a sense of self and it’s difficult to maintain that when you get repeatedly killed by a stronger version of yourself.

Tiles: And she’s skilled in what exactly? 

Crème: Illusions! It’s how I’ve been able to shift forms and project images and such. The axe is a witchcraft tool that amplifies her abilities significantly to the point where it becomes difficult to tell reality from falsehood. 

Crème: The bright side is as difficult as she makes it to get in, overwhelming her slows down her ability to cast. Her swings and spells hit wide with that said… 

Courier: Shouldn’t be so hard when we’ve got so many folks on our party, right? Bombard her, let you get the kill. Sounds plenty doable.

Crème: I’m confident in the three of you for certain and I’ll aid where I can. I’ll have to stay hidden until you’ve weakened her enough that I’ll have a chance… 

She looks back over to you, blushing a little.

Crème: With that said, I’ll take you to the other room. You need pages for your scrap book?

Tiles: Please if you would…

Crème: Mm! Follow me.

She takes you to a storage room filled with smithing tools and the remains of dozens of broken weapons. 

Crème: Take anything you need! I won’t be using any of these tools anymore.

You stockpile them in your scrap book. 

You end up with about 35 “Broken Arms” in your inventory. 

There’s still some materials left over….

You look at the anvil in front of you. 

Crème: Is something wrong?

Tiles: Do you smith? I may need a favor...

Crème: On my spare time yes… why?

Tiles: I have this lance… it’s very dear to me and-

Crème: Say no more, just tell me what you need. 

Tiles: Could you repair it?

Crème: I could do more than that. Upgrades, enchantments, add-ons! I’m quite in the know when it comes to applying witch tech to such tools. 

Tiles: If it wouldn’t be too much I’d love that…

Crème: Mm! Let me just take a look and.. hmm.

Broken Crown Lance Lv. 1
Damage Type: (PIERCE - Weapon can pierce flesh, armor, and hide)
Secondary Damage Type: (BLUNT- Weapon can use its blunt end to non-lethally slam and knock over foes.)
Features: 

Ability: LAUNCHER - A wide blunt swing that knocks the opponent airborne, leaving them helpless to follow up attack (UNLOCKED)

On Blunt Attack: Gain a page (LOCKED)

On PIERCE Attack: Freeze impacted foe’s body non-lethally. (LOCKED)

Ability: SCRAMBLER - Burn a page to allow yourself a powerful drilling move. (LOCKED)

Ability: STING - When equipped, your PIERCE moves allow you to zoom across a wide area quickly, effectively increasing your range to about 20 feet but accuracy diminishes with distance.) (LOCKED)

Ability: DEMIPARRY - Burn 2 Pages to deflect nearly any attack with a swift block.(LOCKED) 

Ability: BOOSTER SHOT - A energy based PIERCE attack that can drain life from a foe. Stores a healing charge that can be used to heal yourself or others. (LOCKED)

Crème: Your weapon has a lot of potential… I can untap a number of abilities with fragments of broken weapons. I’d need about 5 arms each though…

Crème: You should certainly save a few pages for the fight as well. 

Crème: So what would you like?
get that page gain for the lance
Demiparry and Booster Shot, should help with holding our own in a fight against a tough foe without sustaining too many casualties.
The page gain and freeze would give a good spread where every attack you can make gets you a bonus effect.

Tiles: The page gain would be good in the long run. Feel that with my inventory thin I burn through them quite fast.

Tiles: The freeze feature is the defining element of the lance as well, If you could that’d mean a lot…. 

Tiles: Booster shot would help me throw support options in as well and the Demi-Parry would round out my kit. 

Tiles: The latter two functions are quite new actually, never seen a crown lance with them built in.

Crème: The booster shot is a trademark of my own smithing, plenty of those who work in enchanted arms tend to have unique options such as those. 

Crème: A weapon that’s found itself in the hands of many craftsmen is worth the entire armory of the king. 

Tiles: Mm… I’ve heard legends about these masterpieces as some call them. My mentor had one along those lines.. 

Tiles: You really could do such a task?

Crème: It’d take 20 pieces but if you’re willing.

Tiles: Easy. 15 plus the ability to easily get more should be plenty for the job. 

Crème: If you’re confident then I’ll get to it right away. Now may I?

She holds out her arms.

You hesitantly hand her over the lance. 

She gets to work immediately, unflinching in the face of sparks and flame.

You can’t say you expected her to be the type.

You occasionally look away as she pounds her tools against the cast of metal. It’s a little hard to watch someone handle something so personal to you. 

The simplistic design being chipped at until it forms a certain elegance in its shell... it’s so different from the shattered husk you held not too long ago. 

Tempered to perfection and allowed to cool, Crème presents you with the final product. 

Crème: Give it a good swing! Just…

She takes a step back to give you space.

Crème: Don’t break anything if you can!

With a motion or two you get a good feeling for it and…

The weight is perfect. You feel whole again in the moment. 

You can’t help but get watery eyed a bit. After weeks of being alone on the streets and having your last remnants of your family destroyed in front of you…

You have something familiar again. 

You pull her in for a hug.

Crème: O-Oh?! Are you okay?

Tiles: Thank you… I needed that, I do think… is this okay?

Crème: Mm… It’s the least I can do for you helping me out. 

Crème: Speaking of…

Crème: We should get moving soon, lest we have to wait for another opportunity. Gather your party?

Tiles: Of course. 

The two of you make your way quickly toward the other room. 

Gallows: I could tell someone had an emotional moment in the other room, is everything alright?

Tiles: Mm… I’m set. 

Crème: I should’ve asked but do you two need anything for the job?

Courier: I think I’m good personally. Gally?

Gallows: Gonna go ahead and talk to Motley out there, see if she’s good for a quick hit job. 

Gallows: Mot, if the coast is clear you mind coming in for a sec?

Motley hops in after a quick scan of the area, doing a little flourish for style points.

Motley: What can I do for you?

Gallows: Got a hit in the area, one that'd be pretty disruptive to the old king's folks. 

Gallows: You got time for that?

Motley: Hm...I did have plans tonight with the gang, but...

Motley: They never say no to a good crown-thrashing.

Gallows: We can be quick about it, we got places to go too.

Motley: Give me a second to give them a buzz!

The wizard makes an overly exaggerated gesture with her hand, conjuring a strange, fleshy orb- with a mouth and ear attached. As Mot talks, the ear listens- and another voice comes out the mouth.

Motley: Benji? You there?

Benji: Everything okay, boss?

Motley: I got wrapped up in some other business, crown stuff.

Motley: You guys gonna be okay if I stick around?

Benji: We can handle stuff fine, Mot.

Benji: Say hi to Gally for us!

Motley: You got it. Be good!

She dismisses the orb, standing at attention.
Gallows: That's pretty handy, gotta get myself one of those.

Motley: I'll teach you how to make one sometime!

Motley: Gonna have to get down and dirty with some meat scraps, but...

Motley: I know you don't mind getting into messes!

Gallows: Never. So quick summary is our target is a pretty substantial financier in Crown circles.

He points over to Crème who gives a small wave. 

Gallows: This is her reflection, tired of her hubris and wants to replace her. Following so far?

Motley: So far so good.

Gallows: Her name is Crème, we gotta get the jump on her surface world counterpart and make sure she gets to land the killing blow. 

Gallows: Thinking that it should be an easy job with the bunch of us. 

Crème: I essentially need you folks to wear her down...  Whether it be through distraction or a successful pin, I need to be able to finish the job myself or it's all for nothing. 

Crème: I could reward you on the surface after for your assistance if you need incentive.

Motley: Hmm....

Motley: I'll do it...

Motley: In exchange for a nice dinner!

Crème: Simple enough, I'd be more than willing to prepare something for everyone. Anything you'd like in particular?

Motley: My gang likes a good meat dish or two. That work?

Crème: I'll do the best I can, thank you…

Motley: Then sign us up!

She bows dramatically, hamming it up as ever. 

Motley: Lead the way.

Crème: Mm.. I think we should split into two parties. One group will initiate the fight while the second will assist me in landing the finishing blow. The second group also has to be ready to give chase should the other me attempt to escape the fight.

Gallows: I'm personally good with taking any position. Courier?

Courier: Same really. Got a really good feeling about this job.

Courier: Big enough hit that Starman will forgive us I think.

Gallows: You got a preference, Motley?

Motley: Hmm...first group. 

She turns to face you, a coy smile on her face. 

Motley: Curious what our new friend here will pick, though.
Oh I'm fine with either, but I think I'd be good with the first group. Would like to get a few pages off of the enemy if I can, and I should hopefully be able to heal the crew with the new ability my lance has. Plus, I'd hate to steal any thunder in the second group.

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.