Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crankshaft Memory [Crankshaft Rafflesian Rework}
[Image: unknown.png]

Lex: Hey buddy…

A surprise encounter, your gaze is captured by an unusual little creature sitting in a box next to the counter of a local shop.

You can’t help but wave at it and watch it follow your hand as you do.

It’s very quiet, polite even.

You really want to reach out and pet it but you’re not sure if you should…

It could be someone’s therapy animal, or a stray that needs to see a vet but…

You can’t help but reach out a little.

It sniffs your hand.

Lex: So cute….

???: Isn’t he?  Just a little dude.

You leap in surprise with a little with an audible squeak. You turn to see one of the shop’s staff standing behind you, a rusty construct with a tired smile.

???: Ah, sorry about that.

???: Didn’t think that’d spook you, you alright?

Lex: Yeah, didn’t realize you were there.

???: Sorry about that, can’t help but watch when people interact with our tiny friend.

Lex: I getcha. Is he yours?

???: For now, we’re looking for a new home for him. Stray, we found him diving through the trash.

Lex: This guy? He’s so small…

???: Mm. Really young. At his age it’s a miracle he’s managed this well without parents. Managed to make it this far though so he’s got guts.

Lex:  No kidding, has that killer instinct in his eyes. Living on the cold streets.

???: Not as far as we’re concerned. We brought him in for now til someone shows interest in adopting. Unfortunately none of the staff can take him home. Don’t exactly have the money to get all the shots and essentials and all.

Lex: Feel that…

???: We’re all a bunch of loners living alone.

Lex: Shelter hasn’t been any good?

???: Figure a good effort is worth attempting before resorting to that.. Thing is cute enough that someone will want to take him, right?

???: Honestly if nobody does by the end of the month we’ll drop him off.

Lex: Anyone show interest?

???: Nothing serious, guess this isn’t the best place for finding potential pet owners though. He’s only been here for about a week so… still plenty of hope.

Lex: I’m surprised nobody snatched him up immediately, he’s adorable..

???: You thinking about it yourself?

Lex: I mean I’m tempted… Something about this guy just clicks with me.

???:  Yeah, he’s got a good vibe. Patchimus are pretty sweet little things, they’re popular at retirement homes because they’re gentle with old folks. See them used in therapy a good amount.

Lex: Mm, my grandma used to have one. They’re soooo frickin’ cute.

Lex: Honestly? Kinda tempted.

???: Really?

Lex: It’s kind of a big commitment though.. I’d have to talk to my girlfriend about it first.

Lex: But we move in together to a bigger place and money’s been better…

Lex: No promises but you know…

???: I mean no hard feelings if it doesn’t work out.

Lex: Mm…

You give the animal a little pet, it doesn’t seem to care much.

Lex: Stoic. Does he have a name yet?

???: Not really, we kinda rotate daily. Manager got attached to calling him The Grimace.

Lex: Why the grimace?

???: He likes fries.

Lex: I don’t get it.

???: Me neither honestly, asked him and he said it’s a generational thing.

Lex: That’s scary.

Lex: Hope he’s doing okay.

???: Yeah…

Lex: Never got your name either.

???: Don’t really got one, but I’ve been working here a few months now so I need something more. Folks here just call me new guy.

Lex: No name? Really?

???: I’m a old unit from back in the day, memories gone bad. Got lost and then restored. It’s-

Lex: One of those government programs yeah?

???: How’d you know?

Lex: Partner’s a rancher, went through the same thing. Put her through all sorts of research and tests before letting her really go out on her own.

???: Ah… I mean yeah, same here.

???: Thankfully I’ve been hooked up with all sorts of perks to help me get back on my feet but you know..

???: Got a lot of adjusting to do.

Lex: Yeah… I get you.

Lex: Actually um…

???: Hmm?

Lex: Honestly really thinking about picking up this guy. Gonna talk to my partner and all after I’m done with stuff today. Thinking she can come see this guy later too? And might be good to meet her, think she’d be interested in talking about this?

???: Wouldn’t complain, trade notes and all.

Lex: Mm. How long are you open til? Might not pop by until like, evening or something.

???: You’re plenty fine. My shift wraps up around that time anyway.

Lex: Cool. Keep the little guy safe til then.

???: Hehe, alright. See you soon.

You give the two of them one last wave.

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crankshaft Memory [Crankshaft Rafflesian Rework} - by ThreadLurkingComorant - 06-27-2022, 08:55 PM