Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crankshaft Memory [Crankshaft Rafflesian Rework}
[Image: unknown.png]

CW: Discussions of Psychiatric Trauma

The two of you make it in front of her workplace just fine.

People pass by with their hair messy and office and referee uniforms replaced with something much lighter and comfortable.

After a bit, you spot Dotty make her way out among the crowd. You give her a wave. She’s gives you a look of surprise, half happy to see you and half concerned that you’re there instead of waiting for her at home.

Dotty: Lex? Everything okay?

Lex: Yeah? Why?

Dotty: You usually don’t wait outside the office for me like this..

Lex: I was in the neighborhood and I thought maybe you’d like someone to walk home with…

Dotty: Aww…

Lex: Plus I got someone for you to meet today?

Dotty looks over at Helado.

Dotty: Friend of yours?

Lex: Cousin actually!

Dotty: Oh! Oh god is your family in town?

Helado: Nah, just me today. So you’ve been the one taking care of our Alexandra this whole time yeah? I can see it. Big, strong, probably got a good head on your shoulders.

Dotty: I’m not really all that..

Helado: Nonsense! I can see it just at a glance. Anyway…

He offers out a hand. Dotty returns it.

Helado: Helado.

Dotty: Dorothy.

You’re surprised. You’ve never seen her introduce herself by her proper first name before.

Helado: Nice, nice. So how long? How’d you meet? You gotta fill me in on these things you know?

Dotty: Few years now actually? Lex uh..

Lex: I got caught up in some street fighting that went a bit far.. Sent an official over to investigate  and well..

Dotty: That official happened to be me. Both her and the other person had licenses to duel for sport so we had to sort of dive in to inspect and see if it was bad enough to suspend them. A lot of under the table stuff happens and people get killed by it..

Lex: Anyway she was really nice the whole time and well…

Dotty: She asked me out..

Lex: After that we kinda just clicked and well…now we’re a thing.

Helado: You got in trouble with a sports commission and walked out with a girlfriend? Damn dude.

Lex: I mean… I guess when you put it like that yeah.

Helado: Gonna have to try that for myself one day, maybe I’ll be lucky.

Dotty: No offense, but most folks in the position are a little old for you.

Helado: How old we talking?

Dotty: Some of them are grandparents.

Helado: I’m not scared to slow dance.

Lex: Oh my god, you’re so awful!

Helado: She’s gotta know how embarrassing your family is!

Lex: You gotta ease people into this!

Helado: Little honesty goes a long way.

Dotty: So.. are we being invited over?

Helado: I mean if you want. I’m not going to snitch but your mom and dad are going to want to know eventually.

Lex: Can we get a minute to talk?

Dotty: Yeah, I might have to think about it myself too.

Helado: Go on ahead, take your time.

You and Dotty make a bit of distance to discuss among yourselves.

Dotty: So what’s your call?

Lex: Split… Family can be a little protective when it comes to new people and I don’t want to force you to go through them heckling you. Plus I gotta check in with Jam and also ask Spice and Targe if it’s okay if I take some time off of work…  You?

Dotty: Terrified… but I’ve kind of wanted this for a bit? I know that sounds weird but.. I’ve never had a chance at this sort of thing before. Living like a normal person.

Dotty: My memory has all these holes. A lot of it’s come back over the past few months, and a lot of nice things that make me want to cry thinking about them but..… nothing like what we have right now. A lot happened and most of it was hard but… that version of me always held out.

Dotty: Always wanted what I’ve got today with you. I know you’re nervous too though.

Lex: Mostly because I’ve been awful about keeping in contact.. A lot’s happened you know? Scared I’m going to walk in and they’ll barely recognize me. Also know Jam’s had mixed feelings in the past about it.

Dotty: What’s up with them?

Lex:  It’s weird… They want to go see them too but..they never knew about us being two different people. Scared of not being accepted, you know?

Dotty: Ah… didn’t even think about that.

Lex: Folks are a bit superstitious and got scared when Jam kept getting more and more distinct. That difference in cadence when they talk freaked them out so bad… Thankfully, my aunt and uncle got them to take me to a doctor instead of an exorcist but that still was pretty bad…

Dotty: What happened there?

Lex: Cut me off, forgot they even existed. Anytime they came out they had to hide from people. Had to lie through a lot of psyche exams and questionnaires too just to be safe. We both did I guess… but as much as that sucked, they remember growing up with them too. Still misses them a lot.

Dotty: I don’t think I could go back to talking to anyone after being put through that.

Lex: Me neither… honestly I want to talk to them back home, weigh in on it.

Dotty: Only fair.

Lex: Don’t want to leave my cousin hanging though.

Dotty: I got you.

She turned and walked back toward Helado.

Dotty: Excuse me? Is it okay if we get back to you later on this? We’re sort of figuring things out and we’d have to schedule time off to visit and all that.

Helado: Yeah? I mean I don’t see why not, nobody knows but me and I’m not saying anything if you want me to keep quiet. You still up for ice cream though? Been a bit, want to at least hang out a little while I got time today.

Dotty’s ears perk up. She gives you a look.

Dotty: Ice cream?

Lex: Yeah, we were going to surprise you.

Dotty: He’s like, not going to make us sign up for anything if we do right?

Lex: Nah he’s cool.

Dotty: Shit dude….

You follow suit, continuing where Dotty left off.

Lex: Think we’re still good for that. We’re thinking about the visit and all but it’s sort of sudden and we need time to figure that out and well-

Helado: Nah I get you. I’ll make sure to set you up with my number by the end of the day.

Lex: You sure?

Helado: I know your folks, I get you. Just don’t go quiet on me or anything yeah? We gotta all hang out more.

Lex: Yeah…

Helado: So are we good to treat ourselves?

Lex: Dotty?

Dotty: Wouldn’t mind honestly..

Lex: I think we’re good to go!

Helado: Perfecto! Promise you this place is dope, you’ll love it. Now let’s head off before it gets too dark, don’t know left from right once nightfall hits.

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crankshaft Memory [Crankshaft Rafflesian Rework} - by ThreadLurkingComorant - 01-28-2022, 09:55 PM