Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crankshaft/Masa Specials and More
CRANKSHAFT WINTER SPRING 2021 Prelude
CW: Mention of Falling.

[Image: jTUpQVE.png]

Manzana stood at the balcony outside her hotel window, taking in the air of her old home region. It's been a good while since she's had to return here and thankfully it was what seemed to be a relatively low scale job. 
 Despite her efforts to keep her thoughts on the sights and smells of the city though, she couldn't avoid being pestered by a presence she's had around for a good chunk of her life.

You know you're pretty close to the ledge. Someone could push you.

Manzana: Are you threatening my life?

Only a little.

Manzana: Why are you like this?

Because we're friends.

Maznana rolled their eyes.

Anyway you got a job commissioned by one of the local high gods huh? Nice. 

Manzana: It's just another job.

Yeah but like, it's for a god of witchcraft you know? That's a pretty big deal considering your occupation here.

Manzana: Your point?

My point is you look kinda sour when you should be taking this in as a sign that you've really gotten far you know?

Manzana: I'm not big into smiling.

You do it for suits all the time.

Manzana: That's all fake and for show, I'm not going to show up looking grim.

Yeah well, I think it's pretty exciting. Don't fuck up! You have the full details?

Manzana: Mmhmm, can't say I've messed around much with cases like this but I'll see what I can do. 

Oh?

Manzana: Mind palace stuff. Speaking of, you should probably show your face instead of loitering in mine.

Yeah yeah hold on.

Manzana: Anytime now Platino.

The lurking presence reveals himself properly, a shadowy spoof of the rabbit by the balcony.

Platino: Don't see what the big deal is, most folks can't see me anyway.

Manzana: I like having a face to the ghosts that torment me.

Platino: Aww, you like seeing my mug?

Manzana: It makes things easier for me. So why are you here?

Platino: Figured you needed a heads up on stuff. Your client's been hit by some nasty angelic activity. Tapping into
that might be a little risky. 

Manzana: How'd you figure that out?

Platino: I snooped. Got hit by the uh, what locals dub "Big Summit".

Manzana: The cryptid?

Platino: Sorta, that's what most folks think but people behind the scenes know a little more. Bastard jacked up the island's climate a bit last winter and they never managed to actually stop it.

Manzana: Mm. I was detecting all sorts of weird activity lately when setting up my equipment and it's been worse than usual.

Platino: Than usual?

Manzana: Plaza has a pretty big history of being trampled by angels. There's all sorts of monuments and holidays in memoriam here. 

Platino: For a place that's such a popular vacation spot, it sounds like it's been rough huh?

Manzana: It only really became big with tourists after the efforts to revive everything. The gods, at least Mori anyway, pushed out a lot of relief programs, cheap housing, and means to get folks back on their feet. You wouldn't think it from looking at the capital though where the big spenders have taken over.

Platino: The more you know. You like it here at all? 

Manzana: I have some sentiment for it. Home region and all.

Platino: Some?

Manzana: I mean I didn't grow up here on the best terms but it's still where I came from. I care about it a little.

Platino: You got any people around here?

Manzana: Not really, nobody I could easily go and track down. Some of them I'm not even sure if they're still around...

Platino: Old folks?

Manzana: Yeah... A lot of old folks were nice to me. I was a kid living on the streets but people were willing to help me out. 

Platino: Do I count?

Manzana: Maybe. How old are you?

Platino: I've lost track so that might say something. Being a ghost trapped between worlds is a hard job.

Manzana: Sounds complicated.

Platino: Absolutely is. You still gotta at some point bring me back to the physical world properly you know. It's your end of the contract.

Manzana: I'm working on it. I'm just scared what you'd do.

Platino: What, you don't trust me?

Manzana: I have a hard time imagining you not being a chaos elemental with a physical form yes. 

Platino: Aww, I promise I'll be good though! 

Manzana gave him a quiet glare.

Platino: Anyway, you're gonna have to make good on that at some point.

Manzana: The only part I technically had to make good on is getting you back to this world. Whether you're stuck a ghost or not is up to me.

Platino: I'm sure you want me out of your hair at some point though right? Can't wait to get back to some peace and quiet?

Manzana: Maybe. When I'm retired.

Platino: Really hope you're not gonna make me wait that long, if you're anything like your mentor you're gonna be working til you’re 80. 

Manzana: I'd be amazed if I get 80 years with you around.

Platino: Ouch. 

Manzana: Saying as it is, no offense but you've gotten me in some bad spots plenty of times.

Platino: Yeah but I get you out, don't I?

Manzana: Barely.... but to your credit you do more for me than you cause trouble.

Platino: Sounds like a compliment.

Manzana: Hmm... 

Platino: Hmm? Not gonna dispute that?

Manzana: Maybe, if you’re looking for something to cling onto. It’s cold out here. Think I’m gonna head inside. If you’d like you could join me in figuring out what’s watchable on hotel tv.

Platino: Sure.

Manzana walked back into her hotel room, Platino following behind.

Platino: So, you nervous about your job at all? Genuine feelings on this.

Manzana: Not really but I should be if it’s something that Mori of all people requested. A god of witchcraft means that you’d be already surrounded by damn good witches, and if they need outside help for this that’s not a good sign.

Platino: Is the patient someone big? Gotta be pretty important right?

Manzana: From the looks of it no, just a local from a dueling scene by one of the island’s big boardwalks. Her track record isn’t that interesting for the most part either.

Platino: Alexandra Leon. Likely a civilian casualty of some kind. Got the nickname “Lex Rambo” for her overly aggressive style but it seems like it doesn’t pay off enough to reach any kind of big fame. Civilian casualty or a friend seem like the best guesses.

Manzana: Absolutely not a friend, Mori mostly sticks within their circles. Young people are rarely around them these days.

Platino: Interesting.

Manzana: It doesn’t matter much though, as long as I do the job and get paid.

She grabbed the controller and flicked the television on before flopping onto the hotel’s bed.

Platino: You think you got this?

Manzana: I mean I have to right? Can’t underperform for a god.

Platino: Your mentor would kick your ass if you did.

Manzana: I know.

[Image: 3jVOivs.png]

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crankshaft/Masa Specials and More - by ThreadLurkingComorant - 04-12-2021, 07:54 PM