Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Masa con Papas: Proxy's Memory
The Saboteur
[Third Reading]

[Image: tEYLuFz.png]

After a long walk and you and your cousin’s rumbling stomachs playing back track the entire time, you’re led to a cozy little spot right where the hazy streets were about to turn into the bigger city at the center of the island. It was one of those local shops that seemed to also be a residence past the entrance room.

Opera: A few of our crew should be here right now on the second floor. Got a courtesy done here by our saboteur in question, she’s a local… she’s nice once she gets used to you but she might take some time.

Geezer: I can get that.

Charon:  You mentioned you met her through Fenton and Hickory?

Opera: Mm! They said she was the legitimate deal and they’ve worked with her before on their own endeavors.. Not sure what but you know how those two are, they’re always fighting for something.

Geezer: Rebels to the end…

Opera: Rebels to the end. Anyway, let me just unlock and...

As Opera opens the door, it’s yanked closed from within, causing her to stumble. Geezer manages to swoop in and catch her. You walk over and investigate the door yourself.

Geezer: You alright there?

Opera: Yeah…

Charon: Who was that in there? Are we compromised?

Opera: No, that’s uh…

???: That’s the pro who’s going to save your little heist. Now let me fill you in quick, I was told the sweet moomin looking one would show up later today to join our little quest and… yeah, he seems as good boy as the descriptions so congrats.

???: The dog with the spooky eyes though? Wasn’t given any mention and frankly that worries me. There’s a nasty aura around him and I don’t know if I can trust any of you right now.

No mention?

???: I wanna talk to him one on one before I let any of you in, I don’t like surprise guests.

Charon: I can respect that, though I’d like the formality of exchanging names first.

???: A really fancy one, either another good boy or the boldest con man. I’ll bite.

The door creaked open enough to expose the unnatural darkness of the room ahead.

???: Once you step in here, there’s no going back though. You fuck up, you give me any sign that you’ll compromise the job and well… can’t ensure your safety. If you’ve got nothing to hide, walk right in.

You approach without a remote hint of being phased, the darkness enveloping the entrance and isolating the two of you from the rest of the world.

It’s quite a pocket but a temporary crack between realities, and the surrounding aura has a certain genuine curiosity and menace attached to it.

???: Gonna take initiative here. Name?

Charon: Charon Judgment, professional knight and alright at what I do.

???: Rosario, local saboteur and jack of all trades. Gotta say for the type of prose you use that’s surprisingly a modest description. You got that air of confidence though. You’ve seen some serious shit haven’t you?

Charon: What do you mean?

Rosario: You came in here without even the tiniest stagger, can’t smell an inch of fear in you. Can’t tell if you’re stupid or the real deal frankly.

Charon: Might be a little of both, they’re not mutually exclusive.

Rosario: A jokester, cute honestly.

She approached, her face in full view.

Rosario: Though a pretty face and a wisecrack aren’t really helping your case here.

Charon: Not even a little?

Rosario: God no, that’s the first sign of a devil in disguise.

Charon: Mm.. that’s not entirely off the mark, can’t say for sure what I am these days.

Rosario: Same boat really, bit of a chimera myself.

Charon: Feel that, can’t walk through the streets without everyone’s pets screaming at me.

Rosario: You’re just bad with animals. Happens to me sometimes too though, they know something’s up.

Charon: Mm.. couldn’t keep any pets growing up because of that. Most animals are instantly aggro’d on sight. Shame too, grandmother used to have a familiar she used to ride in and out of town and eventually just had to give it away..

Rosario: Dang... used to be a cute little critter that followed me home from school. Then one day mom got a little stir crazy and cursed me for life. Wouldn’t even show up at the school after that.

Charon: Ah….

Rosario: Called herself a witch, ironically got burned alive after her work leaked. Dad was never really around so I got no sentimentality toward him.

Charon: Never really knew my parents at all personally, but they sure left me with tons to worry about.

Rosario: Oh, passed away?

Charon: Don’t know for sure, but I’ve done some sleuthing and they’re probably alive. Maybe...

Rosario: Ah.

Charon: In hindsight it’s pretty obvious though the exact details are unclear. Between the small number of possibilities, fiend biology being a nightmare, and potential partners well… I can’t say I like it.

Rosario: Really? How bad could it be?

You shake your head.

Rosario: That bad? Now you have to tell me.

Charon: Do I really? Feels like we’re already pretty off topic..

Rosario: You wanna pass the screening? My rules.

You lean into her ear and whisper. Her eyes widen.

Rosario: You’re kidding… that’s ridiculous. Too weird, maybe even too many?

Charon: I told you.

Rosario: , you gotta ask that doctor to check again. Like no offense but…

Charon: Trust me, I know.

Rosario: You sure someone didn’t mix samples by accident? Like..

Charon: It’s a very real possibility.

Rosario: Well shit… what a nightmare.

Charon: Mm… granted it’s still mostly speculation and by the nature of things well...

Rosario: Ugh.. I’m sorry.

Rosario: I was going to do this whole routine but I think I’d just dive into a rabbit hole.

Charon: You’re not going to keep going? I’m a little disappointed.

Rosario: Think it’d be bullying at that point.

Charon: Your point?

Rosario: You’re a weird ass dog… creature.

You can’t help but smirk at her.

Rosario: No wonder your aura is so off. Fuck…

The realm of shadow and static around you rapidly retreated into her body.

Rosario: Congrats, you’ve passed in the most fucked up way. How’s that make you feel?

Charon: I can’t really say. Better is almost correct but good is absolutely wrong.

Rosario: No kidding. Gonna be interesting having you around, always appreciate working with a fun wild card.

Charon: What do you mean by that?

Rosario: Don’t know what to expect from you at this point, there was someone of similar description in an earlier draft of the recruitment plan but the name Charon was never there and your vibe doesn’t match at all..

She looks over your shoulder at Opera. You turn around and follow suit. She tilts her head with genuine confusion.

Rosario: Gotta wonder really… you should go check up on them. Looking forward to talking more at tonight’s meeting though, you seem cool.

She gives you a pat on the back before walking through the black door.

You can’t help but feel a little nervous at her comments. Despite this you make your way over to check on your friend and cousin.

Geezer: You took a good bit in there, you alright?

Charon: Mm… was a bit tense for my liking to be honest.

Geezer: No kidding, shit was spooky.

Charon: You two alright?

Opera: Mmhmm! Got me super scared at first though, last time she got that serious, there was a bit of a fight…

Charon: With who?

Opera: Mercury.

Geezer: Yeah that checks out…

Opera: Everyone ended up being mostly okay in the end though. Glad you weren’t hurt at all...

Charon: Mmm…

You get lost in thought for a moment.

Opera: Are you sure everything’s alright?

Charon: Honestly? I got something to talk about privately. Matter of something she said.

Opera: I can talk to her if she went too far…

Charon: Nothing like that... She said my name was never given to her period. You know anything about this?

Opera: I’d assume it’s because we couldn’t track you down too well, got lucky that we found you in town.. Never got sent out for Erica or Arabis for the same reasons… I’m not the one who handled the actual list she got though.

Charon: I suppose that makes sense..

Opera: Did suggest you for this but… you’re really hard to find actually. Geezer’s the only one in your family we could pin down without trouble. Is that everything?

Charon: For now I suppose… just had me a little concerned.

Opera: You’re here though, that’s what matters right?

Charon: Guess so. It’ll be nice to meet up with everyone again-

Geezer interrupts the two of you.

Geezer: Hey, just realized I’m in town to talk to a friend of mine who might be handy to bring in. Gonna try to see them before it gets too late. Hate to do this last second but…

Opera: We need all the help we can get honestly, just be back quick please…

Geezer: I’ll do what I can. If I take too long, start without me and fill me in later. Save a bit of something for me too, I’m starving. Might stop for a burger on the way back too...

Opera: Mm!

Charon: Of course, don’t be too long out there.

Geezer gives you a confident little wave as he adjusts his jacket and starts walking.

You return it with a little gesture.

He keeps it going until he’s just a dot at the end of the sidewalk.

What a dork.

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Immortal Husk - by ThreadLurkingComorant - 10-31-2021, 03:49 PM
RE: The Immortal Husk - by ThreadLurkingComorant - 11-04-2021, 10:01 PM