Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Dopple Effect Ver. 0.91] - Relaunched
[Image: COCFqmI.png]

After a little trek you make it to the path by the golden bundles of vegetation outside the front gate of the city walls.

Dorothy: Sure is a lot of field for how cold and sandy it is.

Diane: Probably some kind of native crop the people of this world stockpiled. Operator?

Papaya: Uh, I got no clue honestly. Could be some sort of engineered stuff. If they got a big fort like this all far out they must have some kind of genetic modification to make a crop ready to take on all sorts of extreme biomes. That or some kind of evolutionary deviation. 

Dorothy: So in other words, either the world is just like this and life figured it out, or someone changed life to figure it out. 

Papaya: That's correct. 

Dorothy: That makes some sense. So there's a coin flip chance we can figure out what kind of tech these people have access to  based on which one right?

Papaya: I mean.. it's a light gauge but not enough on its own. Tech evolves at its own pace.

Diane: Yeah. Some regions are like that too. Not everywhere has the same ability to just send your virtual self into another reality you know.

Papaya: Some regions don't got constructs as advanced as any of us here you know.

Dorothy: You think there's a place without constructs at all?

Diane: Maybe. Read up on some stuff like that at the library. 

Dorothy: Oh, you go to one of those regularly?

Diane: The one on North Flintlock Street, you been there?

Dorothy: Yeah! Go there for the cafe mostly... a bit of a coffee person.

Diane: Dark or light?

Dorothy: Light, milky, and filled with cream. 

Diane: Same. Can't do the dark stuff too well... I mean if I have to I will but you know.

Dorothy: I get you. We should have coffee when we get back honestly.

Diane: Wouldn't mind.

Dorothy: Maybe hit a shop once things get back to normal...

Diane: If they do... I really hope so anyway.

Dorothy: Yeah....

As the two of you reach the edge of the walls past the huge rows of fields, you run into a toll booth. 

[Image: G3YGCIl.png]

There's a guard in front. A dopple like yourself perhaps but very different from the ones back home. 

Diane: You see that?

Dorothy: Yeah what a dork, just standing there.

Diane: Lets see if they'll let us in.

You approach the synthetic looking dopple.

Dorothy: Hello? Um... 

???: State your business. 

Diane: Here to see a friend who might hopefully be in town.

???: Do you have a name? That might make the process easier. All our citizens are registered under an ID system.

Diane: Fizz. Fizz Rock. 

The sentry gives you a confused look.

[Image: 79rPmMg.png]

???: Fizz?

Diane: Yeeesss? Why?

???: Can I have your names please?

Dorothy: Dorothy Coil.

Diane: Diane Rock. 

???: Allow me a moment.

The Dopple seems to stare off into distant space for a while. 

Dorothy: Are they okay?

???: I'm fine, I'm communicating with the Director. Nobody refers to them by their proper name much so it's interesting that you've referred to them as such. They seem unfamiliar with a Dorothy Coil but.... a Diane Rock brings up instant intrigue. 

Diane: Really?

???: Yes, they'd like to see you today actually. We'll send another DOPPLE unit to take you there quickly.

Diane: DOPPLE Unit?

???: Yes.... there's many of us, we're a bit of a hivemind to put it super bluntly. Some call us DOP for short. We have the director to thank for helping us realize a physical form like this. It was a bit of a trade I suppose. 

Dorothy: What do you mean trade?

DOP: The director was without physical form too when we met... They advanced the project in exchange for a physical shell. They became a pretty important figure in this town too, they brought with them many technological advances that made life easier for its citizens. They're a hero here.

A hero in another time and place.

Diane: So can we see them right now?

DOP: Soon. They're wrapping up some things quickly. We need to get you both some identification first though...

Diane: That's fine I guess. 

Dorothy: This gonna be some kind of chip implant or....

DOP: No, just a pair of ID cards. We've scanned you while we were having this discussion, it's quite subtle. Anyway give me just one moment and..... done. Printed and ready.

[Image: B0tBk2T.png]

DOP hands the two of you a pair of ID cards. They're segmented in an unusual way and made of a very sturdy material that will not bend easily. 

You both pocket them. The blocker at the booth pulls out of the way.

Diane: Thanks.

DOP: I'll see you around a ton... I do hope you don't mind me much. I know some people find it frustrating.

Dorothy: No no! You're good. Thanks for helping us out!

DOP: Mmm. In that case I do wish you well, the entrance is ready for you to enter. Stay safe. 

Diane: We will. You too, don't get too bored waiting around for folks to pass by. 

DOP: I won't. Remember things lock up at dark so keep it in mind! Enjoy your time in Strix!

DOP waves at you as you two make your way to the front gate.

Dorothy: Lot of purple in there.

Diane: Has a night time vibe but during the day. Kinda like that. Operator, quick question.

Papaya: Yeah?

Diane: You feel Fizz's signal in there? Like our Fizz?

Papaya: Of course, you okay?

Diane: Feeling a little weird with how much seems to have gone on while they were in here.

Papaya: Time and space are funky like that. Things bugging you.

Diane: A little.

Dorothy: I'm sure they're fine and miss you. We'll see them soon, tell them what's up back home, and then they'll come back with us easily.

Diane: Yeah... Yeah we'll bring them back. 

You start down the tunnel, feeling the light of the sun fade and the artificial glow warm your body.
[Image: HQYlFoV.png]

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Dopple Effect Ver. 0.91] - Relaunched - by ThreadLurkingComorant - 11-08-2020, 05:54 AM