Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots
Convertible - 2020
Rin + Shivers, Patchwork Kernel
CW: serious injury, self-harm, breakdown

Pepper helps an injured opponent.

Pepper threw the subsequent match and hopped out of the arena.

It didn't take them long to find her, out in the hall.
They hurried over. "Woahwoah, hey- You can't walk on that. I'm sorry I- But, look, I can get help."

"It's fine, ssseriously..." The ruffneck staggered, barely having made any distance and hugging the wall.

Pepper stepped around in front of her, halting her progress.
"It's not fine, I wasn't even trying-" They shook their head.
"I can get you help, I know a doctor. Same one that patches me up. 
Let me help."

"I don't need a doctor, kid." She tried to scoot around, wobbling in the process.

"Not a kid. And I busted your leg.
I... felt it." They pulled out their phone. "Gimme a sec. I'll call 'em."

"You're fun size, close enough." She let out a huff, flopping entirely against the wall. "Fine, but I'm not paying a dime. I don't want to deal with con jobs today."

They rolled their eyes.
"Well, at least I'm fun."
The next fight started up just as Pepper pulled out their phone, noise of the announcer and crowd pouring down in through the hallway.

"Here, hang on. Let's get out of here first."
The pockitt stood beside her, offering an arm. "You can use me as support. But if you make another short joke, I'm dropping you." They smiled.

"N-no promises." She leaned over onto them, heavier than she looked.

Pepper grunted from the weight immediately, already straining. "Oo... kay. Let's... get you out of here."
They made their way down the hall, slowly but surely.

"Why do you feel a need to help me out, anyway? Like, no offense, but this is d-dirty money. You're supposed to take the win and bail."

"I wasn't doing it for the money." They said simply. "And I didn't mean to hit you. Not like that."

"So that makes you okay with dragging around a complete stranger who almost beat your ass?"

"Pfft. 'Almost beat my ass.' Uh-huh, sure." The exit was in sight just ahead.
Carrie could feel the pockitt shaking as their muscles strained.
"That was one-sided and you know it."

She tried to put a little less weight on them, crystals brushing against their ear. "How do you know I wasn't sandbagging?"

"I've had plenty of people do that with me before. Kinda comes with the territory of being this, y'know, 'fun.'
I'd know if you were. You weren't.
...Not til that last hit."
They turned their head up to her.
"You leaned into that one."

"Had to give them a good show before I lost."

"Didn't think I would hit that hard, huh?"

"Oh, no, you gave me pleeeenty of warning on that front."

"Riiight, right, I gotcha. So you just-" 
They stopped to push the door open, exhaling from exertion.
"...wanted a shattered femur. Sure. Makes sense."

"Doesn't everybody, at some point in their lives? I don't see why it's so weird."

They chuckled just a little, shaking their head.
"Did you drive a car here? It'd be a better place to lay you down than just outside."

"Yeah, parked a little ways from here...turn left."

They turned with a huff, pressing on.
"Tell me which one when you see it."

"Convertible. Right ahead."

Pepper made a face the second they saw the car.
"Yeah. Showing up to an underground fight ring in that.
Using the illegal fight money you risk your life for to... buy expensive cars. Naturally."

"Don't knock the car, it's not even mine."

"Stolen, or something?"
They tried to open the back door, finding it locked.
"Please tell me you still got the keys on you, at least." 
The pockitt was barely standing by this point.

"Relax-" She rifled through her pocket and tossed the keys out, barely able to catch them. "It's my dad's."

"Stolen?" They repeated.

"Borrowed."

"Stolen. Gotcha."
Once she unlocked the door, they leaned her in, helping her hang onto the door and slowly slide into the car.
"Yeah just... lay there a second. Try not to move that leg at all." Pepper pulled out their phone.

She flopped back onto the seat, letting out a deep exhale. "It's not stealing if he knows I have it."

"Either way, it was stupid to drive this thing to a place like this. No clue how it's even still here."
They scrolled down to Sasha in their phone, thumb hovering over the button.
Pepper rubbed their temple.

"...God, this is stupid."

"If you're gonna snitch on me to some doctor, do it now or let me figure it out on my own."

"Oh believe me, they already know I do this kinda stuff, but that's the last thing you should be worried about right now.
Maybe focus on that pretty important bone in your leg probably being in pieces."
With a sigh, they tapped the call button, waiting as it rang.

"Eh. I'd just wait in a park or something for it to get better."

"A park- You'd--" They let the sentence trail off with a sigh.
"Just... one sec."
Pepper stepped away and started talking on their phone, giving Carrie plenty of time to think.

It's not like she'd die or anything. A broken leg wasn't the worst in the world, and she'd had way worse before. This was nothing compared to everything else she'd had to deal with in the ring over the years- but, she had to admit: that pockitt punched like a freight train, and even after gauging those heavy hits before throwing the fight, she wasn't really ready for the sheer impact of the tiny fighter's fist.

They stepped back around to the car a couple of minutes later, looking oddly shaken up.
"Hey, look, uh... are-
Do you think you'd be okay here? By yourself?
Til the doctor gets here. I mean I know it's-
Like..."
Pepper trailed off, unable to find the right words.

"Lemme guess, you're in trouble?"

They were looking off in the distance.
"They're just my doctor. They are pissed at me, though.
And I don't uh... really wanna... be here for that, when they get here.
But I don't want to leave you here with..." They briefly glanced over and vaguely gestured in the general direction of her leg.
"...Yeah."

"Like I said, I'll live. Bail if you gotta."

Pepper faced her this time, making eye contact; guilt and concern mixed up in their expression.
"You sure? And I mean really sure?
You've already lied to me with your whole... 'oh yeah sure I can definitely just limp out of here on my broken leg by myself', so... 
...don't exactly trust you to tell me if you'll really be okay or not."

She gave them a dead serious stare. "I wasn't lying."

They rolled their eyes.
"Not what I mean. I'm sure you're tough or whatever and that's great, but nobody's a superhero with their leg in pieces.
And this place isn't safe; inside or outside. Anybody might've come in and-
And I mean, anyone still could mess with you if I just leave you here by yourself, especially in this kind of car, so I don't see how--"

"Take a closer look at my leg, fun size."

"Don't call me-" They huffed, peering down at her leg, hoping maybe the blow wasn't as bad as it felt before.

The bone was jutting out, just enough for it to be very clearly, not actually bone.

"Oh god, I-" They winced at the sight for a second before taking a closer look.
"Is... what is that?"

Upon closer inspection, it appeared to be a kind of pink-tinted crystal, vaguely in the shape of a normal ruffneck femur. "The bone that you broke. Does that look like a normal break to you?"

"No, but it... I'm guessing whatever it is means it isn't gonna be as serious of an injury, but...
I mean it still hurts doesn't it? Like... that looks-" They rubbed their face with one of their paws, staring down at the crystal bone.
"Do you have, just, anything at all for the pain? Or I could like, go get some. I think there was a gas station a ways up the road, I could... get you something."

"I don't know if you realize this-" She made wobbly finger guns. "But I am high as balls right now, and I baaaarely feel it. You're gonna worry yourself sick over nothing."

"High as-
I can't just leave you out here, while-"
Pepper bit their thumb.
"Please, isn't there anything I can... do to help? At all?"

She tossed the keys at them. "Go to the glovebox, passenger side. Obviously."

They fumbled a bit but caught them and delicately shut the backseat door.
The passenger door opened and they climbed in.
Pepper's head popped out into Carrie's view from behind the passenger seat.
"What am I looking for?"

"Pack of gum. Not the mint one, the fruit one. Yellow box. Like, banana yellow."

"...Gum?"

"Yeah?"

They looked at her, then popped the glovebox and retrieved the gum, handing her the whole pack.
"Does this like... help with your leg? Some kinda weird pain med or something?"

She took out a piece and ripped off the wrapper with her teeth, spitting it to the side before popping the whole stick in her mouth. "You asked if you could help, and gum helps me keep my head clear. It's one of those, like, stim things."

Their ears visibly drooped an inch or so.
"...That's all?"

"Don't knock the power of this gum."

They righted themself in the seat, taking a deep breath and sliding their paw down their head.
Pepper sat in silence for a little while.

Carrie could hear paper rustling and movement.
Soon after, the pockitt's arm rounded the corner, holding a yellow sticky note with numbers written on it, just barely visible thanks to the dim overhead light.
"If something happens, call me. I'll head straight back. You have a phone, right?"

"Yep. Probably gonna call my stepmom after this doctor friend of yours patches me up, because wow, you know what, I don't think I should be driving like this."

Pepper only frowned at the joke, looking away.
They closed the glovebox.
"...I doubt it makes a difference, but I'm really sorry about your leg.
I know you took the hit on purpose, but I was also swinging harder than I needed to.
I was... out of it.
Barely even remember any of it. 
It's not remotely okay for me to go into fights like that. ...Could've hurt you way worse than just a broken leg.
Wasn't even-" 

They shook their head. 
"Doesn't matter.
Sorry, again." They hopped out.

"Hey. Hey, before you go- ah, shit." She exhaled again, blowing her hair out of her face. "Hope they don't get a complex or something."

"Oh I'm sure it's way too late for that."
The pockitt stuck their tiny arm between the seat and the side of the car, jingling the keys over by Carrie.
"Almost forgot."

"Right. Keeeeys." She floundered around for them, missing once before grabbing them for real.

Pepper let them go.
"Be careful. Don't die or anything.

...Also the doc's name is Sasha.
They look like a strawberry. You'll know 'em when you see 'em."
The door shut, footfalls on gravel trailing off.

"A strawberry...that'll be a first."

A few minutes later, a car pulled slowly through the parking lot, stopping next to Carrie's car.
The vehicle was difficult to make out through the tinted windows.
Someone got out, the figure only coming into view once they rounded the corner and knocked on the backdoor window with their knuckle.
They were a red selected hybrid who happened to sport white spots.

"Door's unlocked." She made sure to speak up and point at the handle.

They opened the door and right away looked around to all the other seats in the car.
"Hey. Sasha.
Did Pepper already leave?"

"Yeah, they bailed hard. You scared 'em real good."

The snake pinched the bridge of their snout and closed their eyes.
They inhaled, then exhaled, and opened their eyes.

Sasha looked down at the wound, seeming unphased.
"It's Carrie, right? How's your pain?"

"Too high to feel pretty much any of it, but there is a bit of an edge sneaking in."

Sasha looked up at her.
"High on what?"

"Not any shit you'd know about, probably."

"Carrie, if you want my help, then I need to know all the details. 
I can't give you anything to help with the pain unless I know it won't interact badly with whatever you took."

"Eastite, rare variant that doesn't show up in nature. Only one known source in existence."

Sasha made eye contact.
"...Where did it come from?"

She tapped the crystals on her neck.

"You should be careful with those."
Sasha pulled a pill bottle out of their hoodie pocket and retrieved two pills, handing them over to Carrie.

"What're these?"

"For the pain. Low dosage, nothing addictive.
Shouldn't cause any issues with eastite, especially at low strength.
But they should take the edge off."

"Hold on a sec." She shoved her hand down below the seat and dug out the gum wrapper from earlier. "Gotta spit this out first."

"Take your time.
After you take those, we need to get you to a hospital. I brought crutches if you want me to take you in my car, or we can go in yours.
Your pick."

"No hospital."

They leaned back into the car.
"Why?"

"I can fix the leg myself and then call my stepmom."

"...Even if you can move the crystals, that's a delicate procedure.
And... I can't imagine how painful that'd be. Even with the medicine, I'm... really not sure how much it'd help.
We could get you to a hospital, and make sure it gets fixed right. I don't see why that's a bad thing."

"Are you like, from here?"

"No, but I don't see the relevance.
If you're talking about medical bills, I can pay them.
I'm not really sure how hospitals work here, but... it wouldn't take long to research. I can help."

"One, I can pay my own bills. Two, it's relevant because the hospitals here suck ass. They don't know how to treat regular people, let alone god kids." She huffed.

"Well... I'm not a surgeon, but I can be here for you operating on yourself, at least.
I have stronger pain meds, too, if it comes down to it.
And I'm here. I'm not going to leave you to do this alone."
They crouched down a little, giving Carrie a smile.
"Why don't we call your stepmom? We can get you back to your place... or her place. Anywhere that's safe for you to do this."

"See, now that's more sensible. You got a good head on your shoulders." She shoved her hand into her other pocket, getting out her phone and trying to dial a number, goofing a few times. "Fucking...phone. Hey, Stylo? Yeah, it's Carrie. I need to crash at your place for a bit. No, I'm fine." She sighed, a muffled voice clearly chewing her out on the other end. "It's just a broken leg, for god's sake. You know I've had worse."

Sasha stood back up and leaned against the car outside, wary of anyone potentially coming over in the meantime.

"I'll only be the night- yes, you can tell Dad. Just say we're having, like, I don't know, girl's night or something. Yeah. Yeah, I have someone to drive me. No, they're not a serial killer- you know I could take one of those anyway, right?"

The snake's eyes widened just a little when overhearing the conversation, feeling awkward.
They stepped a few feet away from the car, intending to give her some privacy.

"Yeah, alright...it's fine. I'll be fine. Bye." She closed her phone with a snapping motion. "Okay, c'mon back, I'm done having her chew me out."

Sasha stepped back over.
"Alright, which car-..." They stopped and looked over the convertible.
"We can take your car. I don't think it'd last sitting out here."
They opened the door and got into the front seat, clasping on their seatbelt as they looked back at Carrie. "Got the address? And the keys?"

"Yeah, it's not too far from here." She tossed the keys at the front seat. "North on Main, left turn onto Granite. Two next rights after that."

Sasha caught them.
"Try and buckle yourself in as best you can."
They started up the car.

She managed to drag herself up into a slight sitting position, just barely managing to buckle up. "Easy on the gas, this thing likes to go fast."

"I'm gonna be going slow either way, want to make sure your leg moves as little as possible."

Sasha carefully pulled out of the gravel lot, finally on the road.

It didn't take them long to bring it up.
"...Pepper told me you took the hit on purpose."

"Yeah. Happens."

"Why?"

"Maybe I just wanted to see how hard they hit."

"I don't think so."

"What do you think it is, then. You're a doctor, right?"

"I'm not that kind of doctor, but it seems like you were trying to hurt yourself."

"I heal quick. It's not going to be a problem."

Sasha's concern wasn't hidden at all; their voice dropped in volume and took on a soft and serious tone.
"Why did you want to hurt yourself?"

"Dunno."

"...Carrie, I know you don't... know me, but... you can talk to me about it."

"No, as in, I literally don't know. I just get out there and throw fights, because some part of me thinks it's the right thing to do for some goddamn reason. That's all there is to it, and in the long run-" She threw her hands up, just enough to be seen from the rearview mirror. "I heal up fine. So it's not a problem."

"...Why go through all the trouble? Coming out to a place like this, getting in the ring, then letting yourself get hurt and throwing the fight?"

"Why not? It works, and if I don't throw the fight, I get paid."

"Do you need the money?"

"Nope, but it's nice having cash I can spend a little more guilt free. After all, like- you win a fight like that, you earned it. And I always throw for whenever a scrub comes in. I don't want to wail on people who can't throw a punch back."

"Pepper seemed like that to you?"

"Oh, nah. They were gonna win either way."

"...Did you want them to hurt you?"

"Guess I wanted to see how it felt to take one of those punches head on."

"And you don't know why you wanted that?"

"Just popped into my head and I did it."

Sasha was silent for a few moments.

"You know, you remind me a lot of Pepper."

"Yeah? How?"

"Neither of you are fighting for good reasons, and neither of you seem to care about your own well-being."

"I mean, I can't argue there. My reasons suuuuck, and I can't really bring myself to give a shit. But it's fine in the end. "

"It's not fine." They snapped despite themself, pulling back their tone immediately.
"...People care about you.
You don't deserve to do that to yourself. You don't deserve that hurt."
They looked up into the rear view mirror.
"...Neither of you do."

She was pointedly avoiding eye contact. "I mean, you don't even know me. Who's to say what I deserve?"

They didn't stare, turning their gaze back to the road.
"I know I don't know you, but I still know that much.
You should try to learn it yourself."

"Maybe when I'm less blitzed out of my mind. Can baaarely think- stop, this is it on the left."

The car stopped slowly, and Sasha got out.
The snake pulled the crutches from the side seat with them, and opened the back door, offering a claw.
"Ready?"

She took their hand, a lot more careful than earlier. "Yeah. Let's get this over with."

Sasha was delicate, helping Carrie up and placing the crutches in her hands.
They made sure to hold on until she was ready.
"Got 'em?"

Carrie did her best to keep herself up, nodding. A blue crystalline figure stepped out onto the porch, arms crossed. The house itself was nice, suburban- not matching the new arrival's crisp, expensive looking business suit at all.

Sasha stayed right by Carrie, keeping an arm hovering behind her just in case.
They looked up at the figure.
"Hey. Carrie's gonna be okay. I'm Sasha."

"Stylo. I'd shake your hand, but… let's wait until things are handled." She opened the door and made way for the two of them, keeping a close eye on both.

Sasha nodded.
"It's appreciated either way. I'm sorry about all of this." The snake put all their focus back on Carrie, making sure not to let her fall as they made their way inside.

The house was cluttered but clean, lots of little art pieces everywhere- but everything had its place, clearly and deliberately positioned. Most of them were abstract sculptures, ranging from tiny knick knacks to a centerpiece on the table. "Couch is big enough for this, I already laid down a blanket."

The snake was already on their way over with Carrie, letting her get down easy.
They breathed a short sigh once she made it safely.

With that, they finally turned their attention to Stylo, holding out a claw.
"It's nice to meet you. Wish it was under better circumstances."

She took it, her height suddenly apparent as she loomed over. "Likewise. I'm sorry that you had to find her like this, I've been trying-"  She shot her stepdaughter a glare. "-to get her to knock this bad habit off."

Sasha breathed through their nose, holding eye contact for a little bit longer, just thinking.
"Stylo, could I talk with you outside?"

"By all means." She stepped forward to ruffle Carrie's hair, getting an exasperated sigh. "You stay put."

Sasha stepped outside, walking out a few paces down the driveway, facing away from Stylo.
Their claw went up under their chin, and they bit their lip.

She closed the door behind them, making sure not to catch her tail in the door. "Go ahead and say whatever you need to say, as harsh as you need to be."

They turned around.
"Is Carrie... seeing a therapist?"

"We've tried- I mean, I've tried. Her father means well, but he doesn't know a single thing when it comes to mental healthcare."

"She's old enough to make her own decisions, but does she just not want to go to one?"

"More that it's incredibly to find any sort of healthcare for people in her position. I'm not sure if you picked up on this, but she's not your average ruffneck."

"Are therapists here not willing to see her, then?"

"Oh, willing, yes. Able to get to the actual problems? No. Carrie's willing to do therapy as well, but finding therapy for, well..." She wasn't able to dance around it. "A god's half-mortal child, that's immensely difficult. Gods are already without a lot of resources, and it's made infinitely worse for hybrid kids."

Sasha looked to the side, seemingly scanning their own thoughts.
"I don't really... see what the problem is.
If her therapists aren't able to handle things like that, then they don't sound like good therapists.
I can potentially set her up with someone over the phone, even, if that'd help.
Because I really think she needs it, especially if she's willing.
It's not just the fights."

"I know she needs it, and...we've seen some great therapists, ones that can help with most of it- but none of them can really cut into something like this. If there's someone out there, I intend on finding them, but..."

"I can help."

"I'd rather not involve you more than I already have- I appreciate it, don't get me wrong, but this is a family issue."

They shook their head, almost cutting Stylo off.
"With all due respect- things are worse than probably you realize.
...That broken leg she has right now, she let herself take that hit on purpose.
She told me as much.
She said she does it fairly often, and tonight it escalated to..." They shook their head, whole body trembling visibly.
The snake looked at the ground, then met her gaze again.
"It could be worse next time.
This isn't something that can wait."

"...you're right."

"Are you willing to let me help, then?"

"We'll see. I'm afraid I don't exactly trust easily, and I'll only accept help on a practical standpoint. If it gets too personal, I'll ask you to step back."

"Oh, I... didn't mean...
I'm not a therapist. But I do know of some. A lot of them take appointments by phone.
I'm from Idyth, and that's where the clinics I know of are.
I could try setting her up with some until she gets a good fit.
...It might take a while, but it'll be worth it, even if it only helps a little."
They looked to the side, thinking, then glanced back at Stylo.
"...And if Carrie does need anyone to talk to beyond that, I can do that, too.
I want to help. Any way I can."

"That's a long way from here."

"I know. 
Like I said, they'll usually take phone appointments.
But I could also help look somewhere closer to where she lives.
There's a lot of options. She doesn't have to do it by herself; the two of you don't."

"I'll consider it. Phone appointments would probably be best for her anyway...she may not look it, but she has a lot of anxiety about being outside. Unless, well." She made a face. "She's under the influence."

"I can help her find the right people for that, not a problem at all.
Do you want my number?"

"Mm, and I'll give you mine as well. Do you have a pen and paper?

"I have my phone."
They pulled it out of their pocket and went to the contacts.
'PEPPER' showed as the most recent call.
Sasha's expression wilted, just enough to be noticeable.

"Something wrong?"

They shook their head. "Nope. I'm good."
They tapped the new contact button, the pair exchanging numbers in just a few moments.
"Alright, are you okay with driving me back to my car?
Carrie offered, but I'm not sure if she asked you.
If not, I can walk. It isn't too far."

"No, I'll drive. It's the least I can do." She jingled Carrie's keys, having snatched them from her stepdaughter while she wasn't looking. "I assume you want shotgun."

Sasha nodded, breathing a quick sigh.
The snake looked exhausted, as if they'd been holding themself up just long enough to make sure things went okay.
They climbed into the car.

Stylo pushed the seat back before climbing in, trying to fit in as best she could. "Normally I'd put the top up, but...I figure we have things to talk about, if you're going to work with me on this."

They nodded.
"That's fine, I can answer any questions you might have."

She got the car started and pulled out slowly, making sure to look both ways. "How did you find Carrie, again?"

They took a deep breath.
"The person who caused the injury is a friend of mine.
They got Carrie out of the ring and helped her to her car, then called me to come make sure to get her home safe."

"And they didn't stick around."

Sasha shook their head.
"I.. think they left because I was coming."

"Did they have reason to?" She kept her tone even, not accusatory in the slightest.

They looked at the floor.
"...They weren't supposed to be fighting in places like that anymore.
Myself, and their other friends, talked with them and they agreed they wouldn't.
...When they called me to ask for my help, I snapped at them.
They probably left because they felt... too guilty to face me after that. 
Them leaving could've put Carrie in danger.
I'm sorry. It was my fault, I should've thought that through. 
I don't really have an excuse."

"It's not your fault that they felt guilty. They were doing something they shouldn't have, and it's not on you that they broke a promise."

"Doesn't change that I could've thought through things better."

"Mm, but anyone can say that about pretty much anything. You did the right thing and stuck it out regardless, to help someone you didn't even know. Not many people are willing to do that."

"I wasn't going to turn my back on someone like that, and I think most people would've done the same. 
I don't really feel good knowing-"
They shook the train of thought away, lifting their head back up.
"Sorry.
This isn't your problem, and you've had enough to deal with tonight already. You don't need to worry about me."
The snake took another breath. 
"But I do appreciate what you said."

"It's nothing. I'm only saying the truth, at the very least how I see it."

"Definitely appreciated."
They swiftly switched topics, undoubtedly trying to divert attention away from what they were thinking about.

"Did you have any more questions? About what happened, or about finding a therapist, or anything, really.
I'm here to help."

"About this Idyth therapy thing...what if a crisis happens? They'd be so far away."

"They'd be able to contact medical professionals within the area if it was... something serious to the point that it required physical attention here. 
Same as any therapist.
There are also crisis lines that they usually go over first session, in case the therapist isn't available at the time."

"Carrie doesn't do well with crisis lines, we've tried that much. She thinks they're...impersonal."

"She might be able to get referred out somewhere closer by, too.
Her therapist can probably answer that question better than I could, though.
...I can also be available in the moment, if she needs someone to talk to, but I'd assume she'd be more comfortable calling you, or a friend."

"She's never been the best at making friends, unfortunately...but I'll bring it up with her, see if she'd be comfortable with that."

They nodded, looking straight ahead through the windshield. "I'm happy to help however I can."

"And what is it that you do, again? As a job. No offense, but… I can tell you're not from around here."

"None taken. I'm a doctor.
That's why my friend called me out to help Carrie."

"And does your friend work with you?"

They smiled and puffed air out of their nostrils. 
"You could say that.
...They're technically one of my patients. I get called in whenever they get hurt."

"Sounds like you've been riding together for some time now."

"It hasn't been too long, but I've been helping them - all of them, there's a group of five... technically four - whenever they get hurt.
Which is... often enough for me to be worried."

"You have any plans to talk things out with your friend after this, then?"

"...Are you sure you want to know about all this?
If you're worried about me, I'm--"

"I'm just curious."

"...I want to, but I'm expecting them to avoid my calls.
...Worst case scenario: they may already be out fighting somewhere else now, and there's nothing I can really do about it."

"And what will you do if that's the case?"

"That they're ducking my calls or that they're out fighting?"

"Either, really."

"Can't do anything about the fighting.
Doubt there's much I can do if they're avoiding me, either. I could try calling another one of our friends, but if they just won't talk to me there's..."
They stopped, going silent for a moment before they continued.
"Not... much I can do. 
With any of it."

"Has this kind of fight happened before?"

"I wouldn't call it a fight. They don't want to talk to me because they feel guilty about what happened, and don't want to deal with that.
That's what I'm guessing from our phonecall, anyways, they didn't say much."

"Well, whatever it is- has it happened before?"

"A couple of times. 
Not this bad, usually.
This is different. 
...Not... just that they hurt someone else badly this time, but... 
...they aren't doing well."

"Then you'll have to work extra hard to make it okay again- and so will they."

They shook their head ‘no’.
"It's not from me.
Something is... setting them off.
They wouldn't be out fighting this much unless something was getting to them, and it's been like this since they got to Taverne."
Sasha put their claw slightly over their mouth, staring blankly out the window.
"They're from Solitude, they told me once, so I'm guessing it's bad memories coming back.
But I'm sure they wouldn't tell me if I asked. And asking at all could just make it worse, but they would never talk to me or anyone else, otherwise.
So I don't know if I should try to ask about it, or if I should even risk pressing it considering they could just break contact again at that point; if they even decide to talk with me again in the first place, after everything with this- 
and-
I'm... Sorry.
I'm worried. I could've just said I was worried. That's all."

"Did it help to put it into words?"

Sasha seemed annoyed at themself for even getting into it.
"Thank you, for... trying to help. 
I'll be alright.
Last thing you need right now is to be worrying about me."

"I don't mind, I'm the one who asked in the first place. I wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't genuinely interested in hearing out the situation."

"I can handle it.
And I'm sure Pepper- ...I'm sure my friend will be okay.
I just hope I can get them to stay in their hotel instead of going out like this."

"Well...pass on my thanks. They helped my stepdaughter out as well, and while I wish they stuck around, I refuse to let their help go uncredited."
She paused for a moment.
"Even if they were the reason her bone was broken in the first place."

"I can let them know next time I talk with them.
...Thank you, by the way. For being there for Carrie, and for being so understanding with all of this.
In my job, I see a lot of kids with parents who don't seem to care that much.
I know Carrie isn't a kid, but I'm still glad to know that she's in good hands with you."

"Thank you, for saying that. I don't think I'm exactly the ideal mother, but...I try. She deserves that much." She slowed the car, pulling up to Sasha's. "That yours?"

"Yup," they nodded, acknowledging the car-shaped hunk of junk as theirs.

The snake got out of the car, turning to talk with Stylo.
"If you or Carrie needs anything, let me know, okay?
And tell her she can keep the crutches."

"I'll pass it on." She tapped the steering wheel a bit, trying to figure out a good farewell. "You take care out there- and good luck with your friend."

"You too, and I appreciate it.
Be safe."
With that, they shut the door, waving to Stylo as she drove off.

Sasha waited until she was completely out of sight to unlock their car and get in.

They crossed one arm over their middle, using the other to hold up their head, propping it on their knuckles.
The snake rubbed their forehead with their thumb, pressing in deeper as time passed.
They sank deeper down, starting to curl up in the seat.
Both hands switched to cover up their face, squeezing, as if to force back tears.

Only a few escaped, rolling down their cheek as they sniffled.
They were quickly wiped away, Sasha inhaling deep, 
then exhaling.
Repeating the process over and over.

The snake leaned back against their seat with a final exhale, their eyes turning to look out the window.

Well past the trees surrounding the parking lot, the sun was starting to rise, enveloping everything ahead in a dull, blue glow.

They stared. 

Their mind drifted, just for a few moments, only to the view ahead of them.

Sasha pulled out their phone, navigating to their contacts.

‘PEPPER’.

Their gaze hung on the name, looking through it.

The snake straightened up in their seat with a sigh, and hit the call button.

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Messages In This Thread
[SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:21 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:22 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:24 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:27 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:28 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:29 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:34 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:37 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:41 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:44 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:47 AM