Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots

Erasure- 2020
Ringor Mortis + Zenthis, Punch Clock Animal/General Morbit
CW: Alcohol (brief), gaslighting, mind control

Quarry accepts Wane's invitation to talk.

Wane kicks back in their armchair, big enough to practically a throne. They could be any size they wanted in godspace, but large suited them- they liked the feeling of towering over people, feeling strong, and being able to back those claims up.

And tonight, they're feeling stronger than ever. A new sport, invented by them, of course, was reaching new heights of popularity, and their people are celebrating from dusk until dawn. Nothing was better to them than hearing the cheers of an excited crowd in the magic mirror hanging over their fireplace, and right now, they're relishing it in the privacy of their own extraplanar home.

A loud unpleasant ringing fills the space without warning, slowly quieting down until it is silent again. A figure steps straight out of the wall next to the fireplace. Quarry stands at her normal height of 9 feet, looking rather imposing to Wane’s 8 feet, despite her fragile looking glass body.

"Wane, right?"

"What th-" Wane scrambles in their chair, practically scooting their whole body up into it. "Who the fuck are you?!"

"You sent me a letter, you said you wanted to see me asap. You can't tell me you forgot about me already?" Quarry says, leaning against the wall they came through.

"...ah. You're the uh, rebellion kid." They lean in, squinting. "Pretty sure you weren't a high god though, not in my notes."

"I'm hardly a kid, in most species I'd be counted as elderly," she says indignantly. "And I'm not a high god, I'm just great." She smiles at her small half pun.

"Then you're not supposed to be here!" An unexpected smile spreads across their face. "That's some trick."

"If you say so," she says, shrugging. "It's just something I'm able to do. So... you are Wane, correct? God of bravado and..." the barest hint of uncertainty crosses her face, "Truth?"

"The one and only- you're pretty interesting right off the bat, you know!" They settle back into a proper sitting position, kicking back. "You were already on our radar before, but now, after this little stunt? Whoof!" Their smile only grows, seemingly ignoring the other god's uncertainty.  "You intrigue me."

She sighs imperceptibly at those words. "Yes I've had no shortage of people being... intrigued by me." She grabs a chunk out of the stone wall which reforms itself into a chair in her hands that she slams down before sitting in it backwards. "So what is it that you want? Everyone seems to want me for one reason or another."

"I'm curious! Like you said, everybody is. You're a rarity! Something new and exciting!"

She raises an eyebrow. "Really? Just curiosity? You didn't ask me to come talk to you for anything else?"

"Well...you got me there. I got an offer, but only if I get to know you a little first. Make small talk. Ask questions."

"Basic vetting shit I take it? Wanting to make sure I'm not a murderer or a liar?"

"Pretty much, yeah."

"Well if that's the case then do I get to ask shit to find out if you're a murderer or a liar?"

"I can answer that easy- for one thing, only a murderer if you consider honest and mutual bloodsport as murder. It's got rules, it's got honor- nobody forced into it, not like other regions. You ever hear of the things they do to people in Monte? Horrible!"

"I can't say I'm too fond of bloodsports, honorable or not," she says, leaning back slightly, "So what about the other one. You a liar?"

"Everyone lies at some point or another, but if I was a liar, I wouldn't be a very good god of truth, would I?"

"No, I suppose you'd be pretty shitty, huh?" She says, "So, what questions did you have for me then?"

"First off, what's your deal? Domains, motifs. Fill me in."

"Well, I already know yours, so I suppose its only fair," she says, looking up at the ceiling, "Rebellion, law, and..." she pauses, "My motifs are glass and paint."

"Glass and paint, nice...very nice. And those domains, too! You must have some pretty sweet powers under your belt."

"I... suppose. But I try to use them responsibly. There's few things worse than someone powerful abusing said powers," they reply, looking pointedly back at Wane, "Wouldn't you agree?"

And that's exactly why we've got you in our sights!" They continue to ignore the other god's jabs, summoning a flask of ale with a flick of their wrist. "You drink?"

"Not during business, that's for sure."

"Fair enough!" They down a large gulp. "Takes a lot more than this to get me running my mouth, so not a problem for me. Got good tolerance and all that."

"If you say so..." they mumble, "So, do you have more questions, or did I pass already?"

"No, no, I got more questions." They raised a hand. "Relax, we're taking this easy. I was planning on making it more formal, but you interrupted me during my well, me time."

"Yes well, I find it easier to gauge what kind of person someone is when they've been caught somewhat off guard."

"Makes it easier on me, to be honest! But, if you're ready to get down to brass tacks, I'll be upfront- we've got problems here in Taverne. Bet you've heard of em, considering one of my kids is kind of an infamous little bitch." They snort. "Forgive the language, but she's earned it."

"I've heard stories from some of my people, yes."

"Her people, they're good people. They deserve better than the treatment she gives them, and the religion she preaches. I've tried to appeal to her as a mother, but...I'm at my wit's end. Both Wax and I are." They point at the greater god, leaning in just a bit. "But you, with those domains...I heard good things, but to hear that confirmation makes me sure of it. You could be a great ally for us."

"If I agreed to this, what exactly would you expect me to do, Wane?"

"Well, you'd get a proper alliance with us- can't be easy out there on your own. Our resources are your resources, as long as it's reasonable. You'd be able to conduct your business however you want, long as you aren't as bad as my shitty daughter and you mean the best for your people, and when we need you, you pitch in with whatever you got. We'll do the same for you."

"I will help your people, same way I help all people, but I won't ally with you."

"Fair enough." They slump back in their chair. "Do I get a reason why?"

"Well it's like I said, I really hate it when people misuse their powers."

They watch her expression carefully, not saying a word.

"I don't know why you did, but I can feel that you fucked with my head. More than once."

They place their ale down on the side table by their chair, keeping full eye contact. "That's a pretty serious accusation!"

"Oh for fuck- you know that just saying 'no I didn't' would be way more convincing, right?"

"You wouldn't believe that even if it is the truth. I know a set opinion when I see one, kid."

"Yeah and I know a liar when I hear one. I just don't get why you messed with my head of all people, and a while ago, too..."

"I don't go messing with people's heads!" Their face grows fierce, if only for a moment. "That'd be unethical as hell and I wouldn't stand for it, I don't stand for my own daughter doing that to people, for god's sake! That's why I wanted to talk to you in the first place!"

She looks down while mumbling to herself, clearly not listening to what Wane said. "Why would I be singled out? I didn't even know they were aware I existed then. Unless..."

"If you're just here to make ridiculous conspiracy theories about me, there's pleeeenty of other gods you can talk to. Like you said, everybody's got an interest in you."

Her face twists into an expression of panicked comprehension, "It wasn't just- I thought it was only- what happened that you needed to-" panicked, she tries to get up and back away, but she trips on her chair, sending it and her to the ground. She lays there, panting, looking up at Wane.

"Wane, what the fuck did you do?"

They say nothing, their expression softening into something immensely sad.

Quarry feels her heart sink as her fears are confirmed. "What... what did you do?" She asks again.

They rise from their chair, taking a few steps towards her before kneeling at her side. When they speak, there's something almost numbing in their voice, their tone full of sorrow. "What's your third domain, Quarry?"

"I- it- it's insight," she says, feeling as though the words are forcing their way up her throat.

They make a soft hum of acknowledgment, placing a large hand on top of her head. "I'm sorry, for this."

"Wh- what are you doing?" She says, trying to crawl backwards but finding it hard to move.

"You came here to talk with me, and you decided the deal was no good. You didn't have a very good time with me, but aside from that, you have no issue with me. Just another failed high god offer, and now you're ready to leave." They close their eyes tight, squeezing them shut before letting out an impossibly long exhale. "This is your truth."

She blinks a couple times before bringing a hand up to her head, "Ugh, what happened, why are we on the floor?"

"You took a spill all of a sudden, kid...think the heat of the fire was too much for you. You're practically close enough to get melted."

"Ugh my fucking head... can that happen? If I got melted here would it hurt me outside?"

"Nah, you'd be fine as soon as you check out- plus side of hanging out in a place like this!" They clapped her on the back before helping her up. "There we go!"

"Thanks... you know, you're actually kind of ok, it's too bad that we weren't able to work out a deal because of..." She trails off, then shakes her head, "Uh, something. I guess this godspace thing was a little more tiring than I thought."

"It's your first time, right? You'll get used to it."

"No I've... tested it a little... I think I'm just going to... go," she says, falling forward. But rather than smacking face first into the floor, she passes straight through it and is gone.

Wane lingers for a moment before going back to their chair, staggering slightly before collapsing into it. 

The cheers of their people no longer feel comforting.

Not much does, after this.
[Image: TCP%20customs.png][Image: 2411]

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Messages In This Thread
[SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:21 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:22 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:24 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:27 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:28 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:29 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:34 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:37 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:41 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:44 AM
RE: [SIDESTORY] Morbit Oneshots - by skinstealer - 11-20-2019, 03:47 AM