Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pokemon is a matter of scale (story)
(working title)
This is a fic about a pokemon trainer called Jed who is also a TCP. If I write enough of this that it gets to the point of Jed entering a gym it would be cool if I could play against someone else's gym leader they've made in pokemon showdown and then write up the battle afterwards. Feel free to leave any comments or feedback.

“This is a bad idea, Jed.”

“Just shut it Amos, this is going to be so cool.”

It was a sunny morning. The two TCPs were walking through a small forest near where they lived, rolling a pokeball in front of them as they did so. Jed was an accident type, he had a thread slung around his shoulder, and was feeling good about his chances today. Amos was a resource type, and was starting to have second thoughts about agreeing to their friend’s plan.

They stopped in front of a tree. There didn’t seem to be anything particularly special about it, but Jed began approaching it.

“This is the one. You stay here with the pokeball, don’t let it see you or you might scare it off.”

Amos looked around skeptically.

“What am I meant to hide with? And how do you know this is the right tree anyway?”

“I don’t know, just think of something! Surely it can’t be that hard, there’s plenty of twigs and leaves and, stuff.” Jed started shimmying up the trunk, pressing his hands and feet against the rough surface to solidify his position before shifting his body weight. He made use of small cracks and protrusions to gain further progress, and stopped on a small branch about a meter up to catch his breath. “And, I’ve been coming to this tree every day since last week. I know what it looks like, and I know there’s a pidgey that comes around here every noon.” He continued his climb.

“Really? The same one each time?”

“Yep, has a nest around here or something I bet, probably.”

“Jeeze…” Amos gave an exasperated sigh, but they started covering themselves anyway. If the pidgey did show up, they didn’t want to ruin everything their friend was (admittedly in their opinion, ill-advisedly) trying to do.

Finally, Jed pulled himself onto one of the upper branches, and began unwinding the thread from his shoulder. He held each end along with a few loops in each hand, with some slack in the line between them.

“Do you even know how to do this?” Amos called out from below.

“I’ve watched videos, and if it doesn’t work there’s always plan B. Now shhhhh!” He waited for a few minutes, before hearing a sudden flapping of wings. A pidgey glided down through the air from the canopy above, dropping to the ground carefully. It took a few steps towards the tree, seemingly unaware of the TCPs’ presence

Jed carefully crawled along the branch he was on until he was right above the pidgey, still inspecting the grass for bugs. This was it, he could do this, he knew he could. He looped the thread around his arms a few times, carefully positioned himself…

And then dropped from the branch onto the pidgey’s back, slipping the thread neatly around its head.

Instantly the pidgey jumped up in the air and started squawking furiously. It took off at a run and flapped its wings chaotically as it tried to dislodge its new rider. Jed, for his part, had been intending to direct the pidgey over to where Amos was waiting, but was currently unable to think much beyond the jolt of being pulled up and down in very quick succession, much like a bumpy rollercoaster, and why hadn’t anyone warned him about this. Amos ran out of their cover, but the pair had already moved too far for them to help, not that they knew what exactly they would’ve been supposed to do in this kind of situation anyway.

As the pidgey tried to get its wings and legs in order while also turning its head to keep him in its vision, Jed desperately tried to remember those videos he had watched. He wracked his memory, and recalled that pidgeys didn’t like fighting, but if disturbed, would retaliate ferociously. That didn’t seem like a very helpful piece of information at the moment. None of the videos had seemed to spend much time on the catching part that he was currently engaged with, instead focusing much more on training and bonding with the pokemon. And those parts looked really cool! He was really looking forward to getting to know his pidgey, caring for it, feeding it. He’d never had a pet or anything like one before. But first he would need to catch it, which was proving more difficult than expected.

The pidgey had finally managed to get itself together, and lifted off into the air. It corkscrewed in circles, clapping its wings together to send gusts of wind in every direction, unable to properly aim at its target. It started flying faster and took tighter turns, spinning and looping around the trees. The sky kept moving from above Jed to below him and back again, and he felt the thread begin to loosen around his arms. Unable to direct the pidgey, almost unable to even hold on any longer, Jed did the only thing he could.

He shifted a small switch inside himself, and ascended.

Instantly, he felt energised, except the energy wasn’t in his body, but outside of him, enveloping him. It still felt his though, his to spend and use. He regripped the thread with two newly-formed arms, the pull of inertia separating him from the pidgey no longer seeming quite so strong, and then he pushed at it.

The pidgey collided with a large leaf that hung in its path, before clipping its talon on a branch, flapping with its left wing when it meant to flap right, and then hitting the tree that Amos and Jeb had originally been at head-first. It slid to the ground, where it groggily stood back onto its feet, took a few steps in a circle, squawked a feeble “piddgggeyyy…” and then collapsed onto one side.

Amos stepped over to it slowly.
“Jed?”

They waited a few moments in silence, until a head popped up from a nearby bush.

“I did it! Did you see that? I told you I could do it Amos!”

“I guess Plan B worked.”

“Yeah I knew it would! Woohoo! I got a pidgey!”

“Hold on, I need to get the pokeball.”

“Oh yeah, do that! Do it before it wakes up!”

Soon, the two of them were walking back the way they had come, Jed pushing the pokeball containing his new pokemon ahead and then running to catch up with it. Amos was happy things had turned out for the best, and they had to admit it had been pretty cool to watch. He wasn’t entirely sure about if it had all really been necessary though.

“Did you really need to ride it?”

“Well I want to be able to ride it to places I want to go eventually, so really I was just getting some early training in. Also I couldn’t exactly have just thrown the pokeball.”

“That’s what I’m talking about. I mean, I think you can get miniature pokeballs in some places. I don’t think our local store has them, but I think you can order them online.”

“Wait, how small?”

“Like, the size of my head.”

Jed stopped rolling the pokeball that was slightly shorter than his shoulders, and paused for a moment, thinking.

“That would definitely have made it a lot easier…”

“Yeah that’s what I’m sayin-”

“...But nowhere near as awesome! Maybe next time though. If I can’t ride it.”

Amos closed their eyes and raised a hand to their face. They weren’t truly annoyed or frustrated at their friend’s antics, but they really wished he would listen sometimes.

“Next time?”

“Yeah! Don’t you forget, I’m going to be a-”

“-Pokemon champion some day, yes I remember. Come on, let’s go home.”

And home they went.
Oh right we have signatures