Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Peligro
PELIGRO
A Horror Mini Series

A Bird and a Demon Rabbit form a pact to escape.

CW: Blood, Death, Violence, Horror,Occult, Heavy themes and discussions of religious trauma and queer struggles.

[Image: 1041106071676260443_image.png]

Tonight you’re about to commit a crime against god.

You rushed home as soon as you could, not wanting to waste a moment right now.

You’re going to ask for a huge favor, one you didn’t think you had to make.

You’ve been storing a lot of it for a rainy day…

Tool of the Unsolved

Threads of a Fiend Hermit

A shot of the best drink you can offer..

And a recent addition you’ve come across through unfortunate means:

A Limb of an Unburied Peer.

You manage to get the ritual going with little issue,

The radio tunes in, sounds flickering in staggers of hymn and violent episodes.
[Image: 1041107255426297856_image.png]

You’ve played with angel frequencies as much as any kid in this town does in secret, a simple pleasure that lies in rebellion of the town’s status quo.

You never stopped your acts of defiance however, recording conversations with all sorts of otherworldly entities…

Learning about the outside world

Other worlds..

Recording every talk to cling onto later..

But your family held you to never summon one directly, especially not in a panic.

You’re breaking that today. The hand starts to smoke, a vessel for the entity.

Your materials are the finest you’ve offered.

You set your aims high.

A figure begins to emerge from the smoke, melting flesh and bone to reform from what’s left…

“Someone’s in trouble…”

“That’d be me…”

“If you’re bringing out the good stuff, you really need this.”

““Yeah…”

“Then allow me to introduce myself before we talk any sort of deal.”
[Image: 1041107846965772348_image.png]

The figure takes a more cohesive shape quickly..

“Frida, at your service…”

A rabbity tall humanoid with metal fangs and a fragmented body.

Your feathers stand up at the sight.

You pause in the moment, maybe a little too long.

“Perhaps your name? Or are you too scared…”
[Image: 1041108162452926564_image.png]

You’re fucked either way, no turning back…

You wing it.

“Shit, you’re actually really cute.... Never seen any of ya’ll up close.. radio folks”

“Cute…?”

“Mmhmm.. That too much? I can step back if-”

“Say it again.”

“Cute? Like that?”

“Mmhmm. Keep telling me nice things… and finish introducing yourself, I did my part."

“Javi.”

“Adorable…"

Oh god, does she mean that?

and the other part of the bargain.”

“Love the whole look you have going on, like honestly..”

“Try my best what what I have but.. It’s nice to hear it. feel so special. Continuing on though...”

“Mm?”

“Your request? You’re making a contract, no?

“Yeah, need a huge one. Need to get out of town really bad, it’s a lot to explain but this place is a nightmare, I’m probably going to jail in the next 24 hour, whole lot kind of just happened.”

“I’ll say, your offering was pretty fresh. Who’d you kill?”

“I didn’t? But nobody’s going to believe me at this point. Local cops hate my ass, want any excuse to throw me into the woods. Place can burn down honestly just…”

“If you want me to send you elsewhere, I can do that. You take a contract and my power is yours.”

“Right.. The whole host thing-”

“Mmm, tempting as it is I’m feeling good right now and I’m not into the whole life long servitude part. I also don’t do card readings.”

“What I can do though is loan you my strength, in exchange for something to hold me over while you do.. The rest of the offering. Where is it?

The rest? Right.

“Corpse is in my car, really don’t want people seeing anything though…”

“I can be discreet, maybe even buy you some time. And… maybe when this is all over…”

“Yes.”

“You didn’t even let me finish, you know how dangerous that is with folks like me?”

“Is it a date?”

“You're winning me over pretty fast. Maybe”

“Honestly if it wasn’t a shit show today I’d ask right now but like… you know.”

“One step at a time. Take me to the car and fill me in on the details. You have me very curious about how you ended up with a dead person in your trunk.."

"She's not in my trunk!"

"First mistake, ah well. If anyone sent over authorities I can fend them off. Now hurry, time's wasting. One quick warning though."

"My Magic does not come free. The longer you're exposed, the more intertwined your view of the world will become with it.

You will see things others won't."

"Is that a risk you're ready to take?"

"I'll do it."

[Image: 1041556193279234128_image.png]
You lead the rabbit to the tarped car, opening the door letting her peek in through.

“Ah..”

“Mm…”

“Grotesque. Who was this?”

“Former classmate from back in the day, we were never really close. Followed me into the woods and got jumped by a watchman.”

“Like a guy…?

“No, more like… an angry forest spirit? You’re from out of town so I guess I need to explain a lot..”

“Just a little fill in would be nice. Despite the common belief, folks like me aren’t all seekers of knowledge. Don’t know shit.”

“So gist is the surrounding woods are a bit parasitic. Makes traveling out kind of a hazard even with roads entering in and out.  Supply trucks have to be armored to hell and tooled with flames and noise makers to keep creatures off of them.”

“They’re very territorial and covered with this nasty moss.”

“Explains your friend here…”

“Yeah….  It’s gross. Going to have to confront the family….”

“So what’s this moss do? You said it was parasitic.”

“I’m… not sure? It crawls all over bodies of people who get dropped in the woods and then overnight a cocoon appears nearby.”

“But they’re hella dangerous.’

“I see…”

“I should make quick work then.”

“What’s that mean? What are you-” You’re cut off as she opens the door and evaporates into a thick smoke.

“Frida? Frida don’t-”

THe smoke seeps through the cracks and seams of the car inside and quickly engulfs any view of the inside.

After moments of hissing and crunching from within, the smoke clears up.

A rabbity woman sits inside, baring only light resemblance to the corpse from before.

[Image: 1041556539829399613_image.png]

“Oh my fucking…  what did you do?!”

“Recycled her material, figured it’d be better than letting her turn and become a problem later.”

“I’m gonna be sick man.…”

“Plus… leaves no body for you to hide. Perfect, right?”

“You turned this into a missing person’s case dude…”

“Oh!”

“.... I didn’t think this through.”

“You really didn’t!”

“Well.. nobody saw you at the scene, I figure.”

“People probably heard the screaming. Plus she died in my car technically .... there’s still a mess.”

“She wasn’t dead when you found her?”

“Not yet… wounds did her in fast though. Wanted to take her to get help but… you know.”

“I’m scared. If anyone spotted me on the way here, my life’s turbo done…”

“No proof that you did anything.”

“They’d only just want a reason to put me on trial at this point. Place sucks and folks hate my ass.”

“Really?”

“Really. Never were big on my family for being from overseas, kept talking about how we were all secretly demonics. Folks are on my ass constantly over um….”

“Over…?”

“You know…”

She shakes her head at you in confusion.

“People here are conservative, let’s put it at that.”

“...OOOOH. Oh my god.”

“Yeah..”

“This is one of THOSE type of places?”

“Yeah.”

“With churches on every block and all that?”

“Mm…”

“Christ…”

“Yeah no.They give you shit here just for saying you don’t want kids like. I’m honestly good. I got a few friends and I love them to death but… ugh. Honestly I wish I could take them with me.”

“Mm…”

“I don’t… really want to be here? There’s a few forest hermits who’re nice but… that’s not viable for me. All of them are fiends who don’t have to worry about getting mauled… even if I don’t get arrested, folks will blame me.”

“Fiends? The monster folk?”

“Mmhmm. You familiar?”

“Little bit. There a lot of them?”

“Yeah, why?”

“That’s… huh.”

“They’re not bad you know…”

“It’s nothing like that just… thinking. Seems like a hell of a place…”

“Yeah no kidding.”

“Let’s…..”

You hear a motorbike driving up the street.
Fuck.

You grab the rabbit’s arm and start pulling.

“Hey! Not so rough!”

“Get inside, that’s them.”

“What? Why-”

“Feds, now-”

“Feds..” The gears turn in her head for a moment.

“Ah! Gotcha. Just…. Hold up I can fix this…” She pulls you into the car with her suddenly.

“Frida! Frida, stop fucking around! We need to go-!”

The door closes behind, the dark mist fills the room again.
The world is drowned out, sounds fading.

You awaken in a dimly lit room with the rabbit next to you, car sitting in the corner. Her zipper faced form smiles at you.

“Sorry to have to do that.. Your plan wasn’t going to work out so I made an emergency call.”

“Welcome to my home. Get comfy.”

[Image: 1044840287530401842_image.png?width=664&height=670]

You step out of the car door cautiously, catching an eye of both the rabbit’s mortal guise and spectral form next to each other excitedly grinning your way.

“You’re pretty proud of yourself right now.”

“Can’t be helped really, just got to save someone’s life. Bit of a new one for me.”

“What’s the usual job like?”

“Someone asks for a big thing in exchange for their soul or something, proceeds to cause all sorts of problems and I collect when they eventually get themselves blown up.”

“Honestly I gotta be picky about who I let summon me…”

“Can you do that?”

“Sorta. But without contracts I’m stick in limbo without any way out. People like you let me get some fresh air.”

Both forms seem to be synched up, on closer look realizing her spectral form is just a projection at the moment.

“So… what about now?

“Now we wait til things are clear before we pop back into your world together. Til then maybe we can just hang?”

“Yeah… I could do with that. What’s there to do in here?”

“Well… need to hook you up with some self defense for starters.”

“Like a gun..?

“It’s a backwash conservative town, everyone and their mums hook you up with that. Something stronger. Going to share a bit of the magic…”

The rabbit reaches a hand toward you before stopping.

“Actually I should ask if you’re okay with me uh.. I’m going to mark you.”

“O-Oh?”

“Yeah, bit of a thing. Any preference? Chest, back, some place you could cover up in general is good.”

“What kind of marking is it?”

“Something indicative of who you made your pact with. So uh… you know.. Stitches or zipper likely.”

“Oh wow um.. See stitches on the neck or joints would be pretty aesthetic but I feel like the zipper would be so striking….”

“It’d be harder to cover up.”

“Maybe I don’t want to.”

“You want people to know?”

“Nobody’s going to fuck around with that so….”

“Good point.”

“Stitches sound cute though.. And they could pass for a choker or something.”

“Really up to you. We don’t even have to do it now bu-”

You poke her cheek playfully. “The sooner we get out of town, the sooner we can hang out, right?”

“I-I mean yeah.”

“Mm…. honestly I’ve always wanted to get cool mods like that but folks here get pissy. Even tattoos get you the stink eye…”

“That’s another option. You think about this a lot?”

“Always. It’s kinda embarrassing to think about…”

Too embarrassing to share?”

“Maybe? I mean I guess I can..”

“So… when I was in high school I saw a photo set of someone with a sea mine for a head.”

“Thought that was the cutest thing…. Is that weird?”

“I can arrange that too…”

“Maybe… feels like a big one to invest in… can you pick? Something smaller though. Think I’ll be here all day if you don’t…”

“Hmm..” Her hand lowered toward the back of your neck. “How’s that feel?”

“Kind of like that actually. Very discreet, like a necklace or a choker…”

“Then I can just…” She traced her finger all the way round before pulling her hand back.

“Give it a shot.”

You felt around a line of metal teeth now settled there until you manage to touch the zip. It was larger than average. The rabbit places a tiny mirror in the palm of your free hand.

“I… really like that actually. Does it do anything?”

“Not yet but.. When you’re in a pinch, pull it as hard as you can.”

“It’ll bring out your potential.”

Before you can finish processing those words you yank it open, feeling your body quickly boil and shed from the neck outward.

Your whole body becomes snarled with curved feathers and metal linings and the sensation of seeing the world from an outside perspective briefly.

The zipper reforms and holds together your newfound form. The rabbit looks at you with awe and a tint of red.

“Oh my god you went straight for it. You bastard.”

“A-Am I okay?”

“Sure are! You’d actually make a pretty cool looking entity honestly… how you feeling?”

Your whole world feels weightless and brittle compared to you right now. You could flip a car with no issue.

“Wild…”

The rabbit grabs the zipper and pops it off, teeth and all. Your form reverts instantly.

“Perfect. Hopefully you won’t need to use that.”

You feel around your neck, metal zipper teeth gone and replaced with a simple stitch pattern.

The rabbit slides the metal chunk into your pocket.

“I haven’t made my end of the deal happen so you’re free from anything permanent yet…”

“So for now you got a neat little tool to save for an emergency. Line it up with any living thing and rip it right open. You’ll never know what’ll happen but it’ll always be something to capitalize off of.”

“That sounds super dangerous.”

“It is! But… I wanna trust you, and you need every bit I can give you to get through this alive so… consider it a trial session.”

“Now, wanna head back soon? You had loose ends to deal with.”

“Yeah, let’s go meet some folk, get you familiar.”

[Image: 1049060930014679131_image.png]

The two of you pop back into town, now late into the evening where the sun barely creeks across the horizon.

Something about the world around you looks.. Different.

You squint your eyes at the familiar locale.

Javi: Frida?

Even the way your voice comes out doesn’t feel quite right….

Frida: Yeah?

Javi: Think I’m a bit out of it.

Frida: Whatcha mean?

Javi: Everything feels… filtered?

Javi: Can’t put it down..

Frida: Ah, that’s the bleed over from making a deal.

Frida: Both the host and the dealer of the contract gain a bit from each other.

Frida: One of those dual world things, you know?

Frida: People from across time and space see the same things differently a lot of the time. You’re probably seeing my version of things!

Javi: Hearing differently too..

Frida: Yeah, that happens.

Javi: Everything feels…

Javi: Like…

Javi: Oh god, I can’t stand my own voice right now it’s too weird…

Javi: Can you do anything about this?

Frida: You’ll just have to adjust, this your first time making a contract?

Javi: First like this. Most I’ve done is trade for minor favors.

Frida: Yeah? Like what?

Javi: Blood for rent money is a big one.

Frida: Ah.. yeah I don’t do that sort of thing. Don’t got money at all!

Javi: Don’t most of you folks have a treasury?

Frida: Yeah well.. Not me!

Frida: Anyway, where to?

Javi: We should probably find a spot soon.. Traveling at night without protection is a bit of a hassle. Know a spot where other witchy folks like to meet up.

Javi: It’s a small town and it’s pretty puritan so we all have to work around that.

Frida: Right, came up a bit.

You started walking down the street with a bit of a faster pace.

Frida hovers behind you, maybe a little too close.

Javi: You mind backing up a bit?

She scoots back a bit.

Frida: Sorry! Not uh.. Used to this..

Frida: Been a good bit.

Javi: All good…

You fiddle with the zipper, now tucked away in a pocket.

Javi: So… why the whole zipper thing?

Javi: That a thing from wherever you came?

Frida: Don’t think so. Result of magic of my own. Don’t think I was a ghost originally.

Frida: Guess most people aren’t though.

Javi: That’s true…

Frida: 100% rabbit though.

Javi: Yeah, seems to be consistent. Not any kind of rabbit I’ve seen.

Frida: Distant region, distant world, pick an answer that makes more sense to you.

Frida: Guess I’m not technically only rabbit shaped though. Kinda just ate some meat and spat it back out as me!

Javi: That’s pretty fucked up. You do that a lot?

Frida: Not really! Not my first time with it though.

Frida: Fine though, like I said: Don’t like mucking with living bodies like that. Feels wrong, you know?

Javi: Mm.

Frida: Plus I wanna hang out. Not just cause we were flirting but also I need people sometimes.

Javi: I’m a person.

Frida: You are! Works out.

Frida: So uh.. These local cops.

Javi: Kinda just a bunch of thumbs most of the time. Grew up firing their parents’ guns and decided they wanted to be able to keep one on their person anywhere they go.

Javi: Mostly just bored and standing there like a sad dog but.. Don’t think they’d take well to murder.

Frida: Don’t imagine so.

Javi: Church keeps them in line, prefers to do executions.

Frida: Really? Like what? Old school gallows? The chair?

Javi: Send you on a pilgrimage up the mountain. Place is so filled with nasty spirits that you’ll never come back.

Javi: Anyone who goes through without an armored vehicle ends up becoming a member of their ranks. Say there’s only one person who came back successfully.

Javi: And that guy’s family is now the richest in town. Sealed off from the rest of the world.

Frida: Get away with murder *and* get rich? I could help with that…

Javi: I don’t know… think I just want out honestly.

Frida: That might just *be* the way out.

Javi:... Yeah.

Javi: I’ll consider it.

At the end of your walk is a quiet little diner, lights dull from age but still bright enough to catch your eye among the trees and lonely rural homes.

Frida: Is that the place? I could use a bite…

Frida: Please?

Javi: That’s the spot, we’ll get some grub while we’re there.

Javi: Gonna have to initiate you a bit but I’m sure you’ll be fine. You got the vibe.

Frida: What’s that mean?

Javi: You’ll see.

[Image: 1058840031483150416_image.png]

The two of you make your way into the diner, nobody at the usual bar setup when you arrive.

This usually happens around this time, there's generally a big enough lull between shifts that nobody's too worried about anything being stolen or messed with during the 20 minutes of nothing.

Is it smart? Not really.

But also there’s not a lot of good spots at night, nobody's risking getting the boot.

You and the rabbit both slide into the booth, getting comfortable under the cozy lighting.

The view out the window is awfully nice from a distance. Captures your eye instantly.

Frida: Don’t see any waiter around, things okay?

Javi: Yeah, it’s pretty normal. Day shift crew leaves on the hour, only one who stays is the dishwasher just in case.

Frida: That safe?

Javi: Yeah? It’s really a nothing town. Nobody’s worried about getting robbed like that.

Frida: Didn’t you say there were all sorts of messed up things in town?

Javi: Yeah but… they don’t really mess with this place.

Javi: There’s main two diners in town. One closer to the middle, and one on the edge of town.

Javi: Both are pretty important for the people living here and people passing by. Town’s guardian blessed the areas to keep dangerous creatures away.

Frida: If you’ve got someone who can do that, why not protect the whole town?

Javi: Wish I knew, woods are nasty cursed. If it were up to me I’d salt the whole thing til I could walk out without trouble. But… you know.

Frida: Yeah…

Frida: You really can’t drive out but people can just pass by like that? Thought you said vehicles needed to be armored.

Javi: It’s weird right?

Javi: Friend of mine had a theory they’re keeping us in or something.
Javi: My folks moved out here just fine but.. They could never really leave like that.

Frida: They still around?

Javi: Eh… not in the mood to go into that if that’s alright.

Frida: Sure, sorry…

You look out the window again. You’re mesmerized by the sights.

Frida: Whatcha lookin at?

Javi: Just the stars… never seen them that wild looking.

Frida: No? Huh…

Frida: Ah! You know what? That’s actually a bit of a perk of the contract.

Javi: Seeing pretty things in the sky?

Frida: Nope. You get to see the world the same way I do.

Frida: This whole planet’s got filtered skies controlled by all sorts of regal nonsense.

Javi: You mean the whole god monarchy.

Frida: Yeah. All these regions have their own little skies curated by the local god.

Frida: Because the actual sky would freak people out.

Frida: But with my eyes, you can see just a bit past the fake sky. All sorts of spooky things that would make most folks wince.

Javi: I think it’s pretty, personally.

Frida: Glad you do! Can turn it off if it’s ever too much though.

Javi: Nah, think I’m good for now. Keep it in mind though like..

Frida: In case it becomes too much.

Javi: Yeah. I’ll be sure to ask.

Javi:.. Do you have uh… eyes actually?

You reach over to bush aside her hair, but she moves away immediately.

Frida: I’d hang on a sec if I were you. Looking into the eyes of someone controlled by an entity says a lot.

Frida: Whole bunny look? Bit of an illusion. As soon as you make eye contact, you’ll see the truth.

Javi: Feel I should know.

Frida: I’ll tell you! Just.. don’t, okay?

Javi: I can do that.

Frida leaned back into the booth seat.

Frida: You’ll be able to tell the pilot from the body if you get that clear a look at the face.

Frida: Good news? I’m cute so you’ll like that part.

Frida: Bad news? Body’s basically a corpse. Entities aren’t really supposed to be using the dead like this..

Javi: So you’re a zombie?

Frida: Sorta? I can heal with a bit more blood or meat but.. I’m a bit frail.

Frida: And anyone who can bypass an illusion will see whatsherface instead of me which uh…

Frida: Yikes?

Javi: Wait.. does that mean someone might recognize her?

Frida: Maybe! She’s not really in here anymore though so nothing she can do. I mean like… I didn’t do anything but uh..

Frida: All the weird vines and moss? Yeah that shit’s soul stealing it turns out.

Frida: Stuck in there forever.

Javi: Get rid of it!

Frida: I got it saved! Somewhere…

Frida: I felt bad so figured I could at least hang on and hope we figure out a way to fix her up?

Frida: Can’t really revive her the old fashion way though, besides that might unperson her a bit so it’s safer.

Frida: True resurrection doesn’t exist.

Javi: Christ…

Javi: Yeah lets uh… try to save her or something.

Javi: Is she in a jar or….

Frida: On my person. Unconscious for now but I’m sensing something.

Frida: No idea how you folks live with that stuff in your yards.

Javi: Usually it’s harmless!

Javi: Unless you die, then it rushes you.

Frida: I’m going to be real with you.

Frida: This town sucks ass.

Javi: Yeah.

Frida: I’m going to take you to a place without murder fungi and death moss.

Javi: Please…

Frida: And then maybe we can hang out? I’m sorry I’m still a little giddy and all.

Frida: You don’t have to or anything but-

Javi: I mean you’re pretty cute, did mean that much.

Javi: And I can help take care of you if well, you know.

Frida: Mm! Appreciate that. Need to be attached to this world by a physical vessel but I don’t want to take that from you…

Frida: And I really don’t want to have to leave a trail behind if I can help it.

Javi: I mean you pretty much ate a corpse…

Frida: It’s refurbished. You gave me the first chunk anyway.

Frida: Truth be told, lose my shit pretty fast in the whole limbo situation so..

Frida: Nice to meet a witch who’s down to hang out for awhile before sending me back.

Javi: I mean.. I know we just met but like.

Javi: I wouldn’t mind having a partner in crime while touring the world.

Frida: You sure? Figure youd have someone in mind for that if you’ve got friends and stuff…

Javi: There’s a lot of folks I’d miss here but…

Javi: I dunno. Downsides are getting hard to live with, you know?

Javi: At this point I’m about ready to risk it by foot.

Frida: That serious?

Javi: Yeah…

Javi: Maybe not talk too much about that right now.

Frida: You okay?

Javi: Me? Yeah. Just-

She catches you getting a little watery eyed and brushes a finger across your face.

Frida: What’s up?

Javi: Don’t know if I’m ready for all this but… scared they’ll find out, you know?

Javi: Barely much of a choice anymore.

Frida: Mm..

Frida: Tell you this, I’ll stick with you the whole time while you figure things out.

Frida: And I’ll do my best to cover you. I like to take good care of my clients. I’ll make it work out.

Javi: I know.

Frida: And if you have to leave, I’ll make sure to help you visit your friends here again.

Frida: Got all sorts of powers, something’ll work.

Javi: I guess that’s true.

Javi: No catch?

Frida: Keep me fed and that’s it.. Really just along for the ride more than anything.

Javi: That helps.

Javi: Know it’ll hit me harder at some point but…

Javi: You’re a fucking lifesaver.

Frida: It’s what I do. Maybe not the best at it but… you know.

Javi: Mm.. by the end of tomorrow we’re gonna be out of here.

You finally feel like you can relax for the first time today. You practically melt into your seat.

It wouldn’t be long before someone arrived.
[Image: 1068997179827564597_image.png] 
A creature.

Frida practically leaps off her seat.

Frida: Javi....

Javi: Don't make a fuss, just look away from the window.

Javi: Lay low.

Despite you warning, she ends up looking out anyway much to your dismay.

She can't help but yelp on sight, doing a poor job of staying quiet.

The creature outside starts to fixate on her.

You drag her away and hold her until she calms down.

Javi: Stay quiet…

The entity hugs you to the best of her ability.

For someone who’s absolutely seen a lot, she’s surprisingly startled this time.

There’s a grumbling, you huddle under the table.

Javi: It can’t break in easily, place is protected.

Javi: But you don’t want to aggravate it, for the folks out there’s sake…

Frida: Why is it here??

Javi: Just… don't give it more attention than you need to.…

The two of you slowly move further away from the window.

There’s another thump, and another, and another…

Until suddenly the sound of crashing steel rings through the woods.

Frida peeks back over now that you’re at a safe distance.

Frida: Is there more of these…?

Javi: Yeah but… that’s not typical for them.

Javi: That’s-

A big booming thwack of a metal chunk slams the creature away.

???: Off with you, you’re pushing it today.

The creature howls in pain, you can practically imagine it baring its teeth from the snarling noises it makes.

There’s an immediate lunge followed by a struggle, a bloody dust cloud between two titans neither of you can quite make out. After a few feral whines and screams, it becomes hard too watch further.

You can hear the thumping of the creature as it walks away. The grinding of metal across the ground trails in the opposite direction.
[Image: 1069000328231518238_image.png?width=733&height=670]

You’re left without any other noise.

Frida: Okay so… one of those is a watchman yeah?

Javi: Both of them are. Territory dispute.

Javi: Some of them are a little more vocal than others.

Javi: No wonder nobody’s showing up, looks like a high activity day…

Frida: That happens?

Javi: Yeah. We usually have a report but I might’ve not checked today…

Javi: Fuck dude, dragged us out here for nothing…

Frida: Don’t think so.

Javi: Surprised they didn’t lock up, but don’t think we would’ve been safe without this place.

Javi: If it was closed, we’d be toast. No way we’d get out of range in time…

Frida: Mm..

Frida: Are these just.. Everywhere?

Javi: Yeah… they look for a host.

Javi: Watchmen are what those parasites do to the corpses of their victims.

Javi: Rearranges the flesh into a awful remnant.

Frida: Yeah no we’re getting you out of here.

Frida: Shithole town, no offense.

Javi: Not going to stop you, you’re right.

Frida: No looking back just.. Fuck dude.

Javi: Let’s look for a phone, no way we’re getting out safely by foot….
There was a thumping on your window.
[Image: 1073656691104698399_image.png]
???: Yo, someone's actually here?!

A dino-like stranger sprint through the front door with little hesitation.

???: Thought folks would be gone after the warning was put out today.

Javi: Warning???

???: Yeah. Danger levels have spiked up hard in this area. Like.. even by night standards.

???: Something’s pissed off the local life hard. Usually not active in the day as much as it’s been. Two folks got attacked in separate incidents already, a third is under investigation.
???: Taking shelter here though I’m guessing? Can’t blame you.

???: Place is blessed, would be hard for anything to break in that shouldn’t be here.

Javi: Yeah..

???: You two can wait it out.

Frida: Question, visiting from out of town.

???:... Why?

???: Guess I shouldn’t be asking actually, visiting myself too. Got family here. You?

Frida: Just taking a stop, on a trip and needed a break.

???: You two look like friends though, unless you just met?

Frida: Well…

???: Hey, making friends is good.

???: Anyway you guys mind if I join ya’ll?

Frida: Javi?

Javi: Go ahead. More the merrier right now.
???: So…

???: You two need a ride? My car’s outside..

Frida: Maybe? Can you like, get us all the way out of town?

Javi: Frida!

???: Yeah actually. You trying to bail?

Javi: Yeah. Got a few folks to meet first but-

???: Give me a little to cool down and it’s done. This place is a hell hole, don’t get why anyone would want to live here.

Javi: No choice, moving out is a long ass trip you know?

???: Yeah, I get you there. I’m mostly here for research reasons.

???: Had to mod a car just to make it in. I got a driver who’s an expert at handling these sort of dead zones.

Javi: There’s other places like this?

???: Plenty. This one’s pretty nasty though…

???: Anyway…

Frida: You got a name?

???: Me? Sometimes!

???: Just go with uh…

???: Pancho for now.

Javi: Pancho? Really?

Pancho: I can come up with something better.

Javi: I mean… are you just making one up on the spot actually?

Pancho: It’s complicated. Got a bit of a condition so uh… you know. Keep anonymous.

Javi: That doesn’t really explain anything-

Frida: Maybe I can name you?

Pancho: You’d like that?

Frida: Mmhmm!

Pancho: Alright, let’s go.

Frida: Ignacio! Nacho for short.

Nacho: That’s cute. I like that. Nacho…

Nacho: Yeah, let’s go with that then.

Javi: So uh… Nacho then.

Nacho: Ignacio to you.

Javi: Sure, you really can get us out?

Nacho: Long as there’s a route. You said you wanted to handle some stops though, yeah?

Javi: Mmhmm. Some friends I want to let know.

Nacho: You’re on the run.

Nacho: Give me your game plan and I’ll see what I can do.

[Image: 1076170479557148682_image.png]
 Javi: This is the car?

Nacho: This is it.

Frida: It’s a lot smaller than I’d think for an armored piece..

Javi: Compact is good for making runs.

Nacho: Yeah, what they said.

Frida: So it goes fast?

Nacho: Fast enough that you really don’t want to hit a bump, you’ll actually launch off.

Frida: That’s not promising..

You look into the tinted window of the door, seeing the sky above but… no reflection of yourself.

Javi: Frida…?

Frida: What’s up.

You gesture toward the window.

Frida: Don’t get it.

You pull her over to whisper into her ear.

Javi: No reflection, you didn’t turn me into a vampire did you…?

Frida: Well… not quite?

Frida: Not “human” anymore though. I’ll explain when we’re alone-

Nacho: I can hear you two just fine, not worried about it though.

Nacho: Whatever happens between you two, just make sure you’re not dragging me into trouble I can’t handle.

Nacho: Especially since you managed an entity.

Javi: You can-!

Frida grabs you to hush you. You oblige.

Nacho: No secrets can be really kept from me, but also I trust you two enough to do a favor like this.

Nacho: Trust me, would've offered the ride if I didn’t get the feeling you’d be cool.

Nacho: Just don’t offer me a contract, I’ve got too many to keep.

Frida lets out a sigh.

Frida: That obvious?

Nacho: It’s the smile. Cute but kind of telling. No offense.

They give you both a toothy smirk.

Frida frowns.

Frida: Guess I won’t smile anymore then.

Javi: Not even for me?

Frida: I could make it a contract if-

Nacho: Hey, get in the car before you start flirting. We got a lot to do if what you’ve said is correct.

Javi: Yeah, fair.

Nacho: My driver's ready to go, fill me in on the details of our roadtrip!
Frida: I’m kinda just here for the ride. Javi can explain.

Javi: You’re not gonna narc right?

Nacho: God no, you kidding? I’ve got plenty I don’t want cops knowing.

Javi: Why are you in this town then?

Nacho: Research, for personal reasons.

THey hold open the door for the two of you, you both scoot inside.

On entry you catch a glimpse of the driver. A bit more… puppet-esque than you’ve anticipated.

You give a little wave, he notices you in the rear view and waves back.

Javi: Research? And you got a private driver too?

Frida: You secretly loaded?

Nacho:  Me? Nope! Just got a grasp of magic. Seems like you both do too.

Frida: Just a little..

Javi: Nothing much, just what my family would write down…

Nacho: Family huh?

Javi: Yeah. I should probably visit them too actually…

Javi: They live pretty far out these days though, taking care of my bro across the region.

Nacho: Is it okay to ask or..

Javi: Maybe not right now. Am curious about your driver though, seen something like this..

Javi: Familiar?

Nacho: He is! The very best too, can’t go on a trip without him. Name’s Chester. Found him lost in a cave.

Frida: Ah… abandoned or..

Nacho: His story to share…

Chester seems to not notice, or at least pretend not to, eyes fixated on the road.

Nacho: Where to first?

Javi: Uh well…

Javi: There’s a fiend couple living near the north entrance. Friends I can just message and tell them later but with them I don’t know how to keep in touch..

Nacho: Ah.. Hmm..

Nacho: Well we can visit them easy.

Frida: Question, you’re here for something too yeah?

Nacho: Mm. What’s your point.

Frida: You really planning to leave?

Nacho: Look, I can tell how it is around these parts and I get the vibe people here aren’t so kind.

Nacho: I can delay my studies to save a couple of folks from trouble. Especially if you got the authorities on you. So what happened?

Javi: Former classmate followed me into the woods, got taken out and mossed.

Nacho: Ah!

Javi: Tried to get her help but she uh.. Died in my car.

Nacho: Yeah okay. And I’m guessing the town would pin it on you.

Javi: Course, they already look for reasons to throw me out so…

Nacho: So you don’t want to fuck around and find out.

Javi: Nope!

Nacho: Consider your secret safe then, I’ve been in binds like that too.

Frida: Yeah?

Nacho: Travel a lot, see towns like this plenty. They don’t like the whole uh…
Nacho: I’ll show you when the time comes but.. I’ve got a curse.

Nacho: One that changes me a lot. People consider it an omen so to speak.

Frida: Marked huh? I mean I’ve done plenty like that of my own but not to hurt folks.

Frida: Granted there’s all sorts of creatures and folks capable of stuff like that, you know?

Frida: Whatever it is, I can handle it just….

Frida: Let me know if it’s some lycanthrope stuff. I wanna be prepared.

Javi: Like werewolves or….

Nacho: Nothing like that! Just… Well…

Nacho: It’s hard to explain right now, hope you understand.

Nacho: Don’t want to mess around with it in the car.

Javi: Not like we’re in a position to judge…

Nacho: Can’t blame you for being cautious though, should be when on the run.

The car abruptly stops.

Javi: Hey what the fuck?

Frida: Everything alright?

Nacho looks over at the driver’s shoulder.

Nacho: There’s just someone in the middle of the road….

Frida: Can’t we just go around?

Nacho: Nah… think this one needs our help.

Nacho: I’ll go out. Think Javi should stay in the car though.

[Image: 1095766394324406282_image.png]
You peek out the window, watching them carefully.

You can’t make out their muffled discussion.

After a bit of back and forth between the two of them, Nacho knocks on the car window.

Nacho: Gonna hand you something, you okay with that?

Javi: Me?

Nacho: Yeah. Just a little favor for helping you out.

You nod.

THey open the door and with their free arm hold out a tiny wooden rabbit, limbs broken off.

Javi: Oh god what’s this?

Nacho: A familiar, just like our driver.

Nacho: You know those right?

Javi: A little.

Javi: Is it okay?

Nacho: Hard to say, gonna try to revive them over at our next stop.

Nacho: Does mean there’s a witch running around these parts.

Nacho: Should return them if we can.

You take the rabbit in your arms.

You feel a faint sadness looking at its face.

Frida: We should really hurry and get back in the car.

Nacho: Yeah. Know any good spots to stop at?

Javi: I’ve got a friend who lives a little further down, take a turn at the roundabout.

Nacho: This place has one of those? Wild. Okay.

Javi: It’s a nothing town, doesn’t mean people haven’t tried to make it a little more.

Nacho: Fair enough.

THey scoot back into front of the car. The driver gives you a friendly wave before their expression goes somber at the puppet.

Javi: We’ll fix them up…

Frida scoots in through the other door, getting comfy.

Frida: You still got that zipper, right?

Frida: Keep that on hand, use it if you’re ever in a pinch.

Javi: What does it do exactly?

Frida: Hidden potential. It’s overwhelming for many but under my protection you’ll be fully under control.

Javi: Should I try it out now?

Nacho: Not in the car!

Frida gives a shrug at that.

Frida: Heard them.

Javi: Mm..

Javi: Thanks for helping me out with all this. You really don’t want anything in return?

Frida: Me? Nah.

Javi: I thought entities usually want some kind of contract.

Frida: Just keep me fed and that’s enough. Like I said, here for the ride.

Javi: Praying you don’t eat more corpses.

Frida: It was one time, it’s allowed.

Nacho: That’s correct.

Javi: What about the uh… soul trapped in the root?

Frida: Yeah I dunno. Can’t really give things back at this point sooo.

Frida: We’ll look for an expert?

Nacho: I’m an expert, turn her into a construct.

Frida: Yeah, probably that.

Javi: Ah..

Nacho: If she died died, it’s safer than trying to revive her anyway. You know the rules.

Javi: True resurrection can’t be done?

Frida: Bingo.

Nacho: So you loophole it.

Frida: Yep. That’s how you cheat this sort of thing anyway.

Javi: Huh…

Javi: Next house down the road, that’s where my friend is.

Nacho: No problem.

[Image: 1100838995300208690_image.png]
Your group parks near the place with zero trouble. Frida is the first to peek her head out the door, gesturing to the rest of you to follow along.

You and Nacho follow suit, gathering with the puppet in hand toward the entrance and knocking.

Frida: You sure this spot’s good?

Javi: Mmhmm! My friend should be here, he wasn’t there at the diner so…

Nacho: No chance he might be somewhere else?

Frida: Not at this hour right? Seems spooky.

Javi: Should be-

The door creeks open, chains from locks visible.

???: What’s all this then?

Nacho: Hi, we’re looking-

Javi: Hey Chickpea, you mind letting us in? We got a lot to talk about.

Chickpea: Oh? Something wrong or-

Javi: Yeah. Nothing to do with you, just circumstances getting fucky.

Chickpea: Ah. I mean yeah, I don’t know if you’ve heard the news but there’s a bit of a lockdown going on.

Chickpea: Watchmen are hyper active today.

Chickpea: Might be a really bad one. Got a few calls from the gang saying the old witch came down to town to scope things out.

Chickpea: People are getting attacked left and right.

Javi: That explains a lot..

Chickpea: Something wrong?

Javi: Got caught up in a couple of those, it’s a long story but-

Chickpea: If you need to stay the night you can chill here.

Javi: I mean… it’s tempting.

Javi: But I’m planning on leaving town during all this.

Chickpea: Really? Right now?

Chickpea: Why?

Javi: You won’t snitch, right?

Chickpea: You know I won’t.

Javi: So like…

Javi: I got caught in a bad spot. Someone followed me out and got injured fatally by a watchman.

Javi: Think people saw me trying to drag the body out to help but…

Chickpea: You’re accused of murder?

Javi: I didn’t!

Chickpea: I mean I believe you! Just..

Javi: Feds won’t let me go if they catch up to me.

Javi: They hate me around here.

Chickpea: I know…

Chickpea: Who are these folks on a side note?

Javi: THem? They’re-

Frida: I’m Frida, friendly neighborhood rabbit and friend from out of town.

Nacho: I’m Nic- Nacho. I’m giving these two a ride out.

Chickpea: Mm…

Chickpea: So you’re really gonna be gone? Just like that?

Javi: Yeah… I’m sorry it’s so sudden.

Chickpea: You do what you gotta do just…

Chickpea: We’re all gonna miss you, ya know?

Javi: I’ll miss you too.

Chickpea: You know where you’re heading out?

Javi: No.. just away from here.

Frida: We’ll be keeping them safe.

Nacho: You mind letting us in actually? Not good to be talking at the door right now.

Chickpea: Right, right. Settle in and I’ll see if I can set you up with anything for the trip out..

[Image: fridaattrocity.png]

You and your party slide into Chickpea’s living room, the kitchen directly connected and cluttered with pans and spatulas. The scent of hot spices fills the room.

Javi: Smells good in here..

Chickpea: Yeah, unfortunately no leftovers or I’d offer….

Chickpea: I can try to whip ya’ll up something…

Javi: You don’t have to…

Frida: Honestly I’m kind of hungry myself though…

Javi:... Yeah. I skipped lunch and it’s already pretty late today.

Chickpea started toward the kitchen

Chickpea: I figure a hot meal might rest things mentally after a hard day.

Javi: It’d be nice… thank you.

Nacho:  Aye. You don’t happen to have a workbench by any chance do you?

Chickpea: I have tools in the garage…

Nacho starts shuffling over to the other room with the puppet, making a little saluting gesture as they sprint over

Chickpea: Right to the point…

Javi: It happens.

Chickpea: So what’s their deal?

Javi: We just met but they’re helping us get out of town.

Chickpea: You’re taking a ride from a complete stranger?

Javi: Yeah well…

Frida: We all just kind of met today to be honest.

Chickpea: Yeah… I never met you before today either.

Frida: It’s been a busy day…

Chickpea: So what are you after exactly?

Frida: Me?

Chickpea: Yeah.

Frida: Well..

Javi: You can spill the beans.

Frida: You sure?

Javi: Yeah, Chickpea’s good.

Frida: I’m an entity. You familiar?

Chickpea: Course I am. Are you really? You look pretty normal…

Frida: I can’t exactly go around public looking like a space monster…

Chickpea: Fair enough.

Javi: Summoned her when things got a little too hot…

Javi: She’s gonna help me get out and like…

Javi: I dunno. I got the cops on me and they already hate my ass around here and bleh…

Javi: Gonna either lock me up or send me up the mountains to die in this town depending on who finds me first.

Chickpea: Yeah… Honestly I wish I could leave too sometimes.

Chickpea: But I can’t really afford to move out and well.. You know.

Chickpea: You can always call me though, right? You got my number

Javi: Mmhmm..

Chickpea: I guess just.. Feels hard to say goodbye so suddenly to someone who’s been part of the gang for so long you know?

Chickpea: Kinda wish you came to us first before you decided to make a big escape.

Javi: I’m sorry…

Chickpea: Nah. You deserve better than this shithole.

Chickpea: Just promise to keep in contact, okay?

Javi: Yeah….

Chickpea looks up at Frida.

Frida:... What’s up?

Chickpea: No shady contracts, keep Javi safe.

Frida: I will!

Chickpea: Good… I’m almost done, why don’t you check in on your friend while I set up the table.

Chickpea: We’re gonna have a good time before ya’ll set off.

You march toward the garage entrance, Frida following behind.

You can hear the noise of tools going off, and then silence.

You crack open the door and peek inside, Nacho’s shadow looming over the puppet, now more complete in its form.

Javi: Is everything alright?

Frida: Yeah.  How’s it going?

Nacho: Had to transplant a soul to get things functioning but she’ll wake up in a sec.

Javi: What do you mean-

Frida: Please tell me you didn’t do what I think you did…

Javi: What did they do?

Nacho: A familiar would be a lot of help right now.

Frida: Not like this!

Nacho: I’m not waiting til she’s out of town for this. She has people and a home here. Besides…

Nacho looks directly at you.

Nacho: You owe her a body after you foddered hers.

Javi: I thought she was dead…

Nacho: Only partially.

Nacho: She should be your responsibility but… I’m going to handle things.

Nacho: For now?

Nacho: You both should go eat dinner…
[Image: Peligro%20Panel%201.png]
You back out of the garage with Frida, stomach feeling heavy after that exchange.

Frida: You okay?

Javi: I fucked up dude.

Frida: It’s what you had to, you didn’t know…

Javi: Did I though? Like..

Frida: I mean the alternative was you getting arrested, right?

Javi: They did come for me…

Frida: Someone must’ve spotted you loading her into your backseat, at that point you were fucked dude.

You’re trying hard not to get watery eyed.

Frida: Shit… okay not a good way to phrase that.

Javi: I just wanted to get her to a hospital…

Javi: I didn’t think she’d just die in my car like that…

Frida: Look like…

Javi: Now I gotta leave everyone behind and like…

Javi: I dunno. Even if I hate this place I still got too many people here…

Frida: I’m sorry…

Javi: This really the only option?

Frida: Can’t say for sure, but I promised I was going to keep you safe either way, yeah?

Javi: I guess…

Javi: Can I ask a serious question?

Frida: Mmhmm!

Javi: What are you after? Entities usually want something for their work, yeah?

Frida: I guess yeah.

Javi: But you’re really just cool with tagging along?

Frida: I mean why not?

Javi: You gotta have something, right?

Frida: I mean personally?

Frida: I just hope trouble doesn’t come looking for me a lot of the time.

Javi: Bad experiences or…

Frida: Well.. you know how entities work?

Javi: A little?

Frida: Entities tend to be drawn to people based on common interests.

Javi: And for me that’s…?

Frida: Don’t know yet.

Frida: Sorry if that’s not helpful…

Javi: It’s fine, guess just…

Javi: If you’re stuck helping me, I wanna know you a little better is all. That weird?

Frida: Not as weird as putting your life in the hands of strangers. Twice.

Javi: Yeah well..

Javi: Desperate times.

Frida: I mean yeah. Why else would I be here, right?

Javi: Don’t put it like that….

Frida: Most people don’t just summon an entity for the fun of it.

Frida: Doesn’t mean it has to be a hard time though..

Javi: Yeah, guess you’re right.

Javi: Nacho weirds me out a bit, between you and me…

Frida: Yeah, that’s witches… 

Javi: You’ve met a lot I’m guessing?

Frida: I mean yeah, occupational hazard or something. They’re all a little uh..

Frida: Trying to think of a word here.

Javi: Eccentric?

Frida: Maybe? I mean yeah that for sure.

Frida: Used to be kinda into that myself though, made working with them fun.

Frida: What does that make you though?

Frida: Yeah. You summoned me in a pretty old school way.

Frida: Seemed pretty casual about it.

Javi: Parents used to mess with this sort plenty. Kind of traditional folks.

Javi: Made sure I knew the ins and outs just in case but uh…

Javi: Wasn’t thinking I’d need to actually do this myself.

Frida: Ah, yeah…

Frida: You’re living alone though?

Javi: Don’t really want to go into it too much right now though, that okay?

Frida: Aye.

Javi: For now we’re keeping Chickpea waiting, should hurry on over. 

Frida: Yeah, fair enough.

Frida: Feel any better though?

Javi: Little bit. Food should help too..

Javi: Whatever happens tonight, we’ll make things work.

Frida: Nothing but my best.

[Image: Spooky%20Portrait.png]
The three of you are seated at the table chipping away at dinner.

You fixate on a painting on the wall, a classical depiction of a watchman looking over a wall as it slithers through the street, teeth clenched.

There’s an uncomfortable silence, everyone trying to avoid conversation for one reason or another.

Chickpea: So…

Chickpea: Is Nacho coming or…

Frida: Complicated, give them a bit.

Chickpea: Alright. Just… hearing a lot of noise on and off.

Frida: Yeah gonna be honest, we kinda just met them on the way.

Frida: I mean I guess I haven’t know Javi long either..

Chickpea: Right..

He looks over and gives you a concerned face.

Javi: Promise you I’m okay.

Chickpea: I mean… are you?

Javi: With these two at least.

Chickpea: Yeah but like..

Chickpea: This is kind of a big thing to wing. Especially around a time when the witch is up to her shit, you know?

Chickpea: Like, if you lay low long enough folks might think this whole thing happened cause of that.

Chickpea: Nobody’d assume much else.

Javi: The cops stopped by my place, they’ve been wanting to nail me for years.

Chickpea: I guess..

Chickpea: Still, I’d cover for you. Lockdown started today, Could say you had to bunker up in here til Watchman activity mellowed out.

Chickpea: Just gotta listen to the radio til it’s clear to leave.

Chickpea: And it’s safer than trying to deal with shit out there.

Javi: That’s true..

Frida: Radio?

Chickpea: Yeah, lots of people broadcast around these parts including the local governing folks.

Chickpea: You get a lot of indie broadcasts too. Pirate radio as folks call it.

Chickpea: You familiar?

Frida: Yeah just.. Uh..

Frida: Thinking I guess.

Frida: Radios got a lot of connotations around modern witches. The town being watched over one.. Makes me wonder I guess.

Chickpea: You know something?

Frida: Maybe? I dunno. This whole place feels weird with the creatures and how far it is from anywhere else.

Chickpea: You mean the whole Watchman thing, yeah?

Frida: Like… that has to be a big part of how things work around here, yeah?

Chickpea: Yeah.

Frida: Why do people still live here?

Chickpea: Moving out to the surrounding areas is hard.

Chickpea: Lot of procedures that lock folks out.

Chickpea: Most folks born here, die here.

Chickpea: Most might even be a bit optimistic there.

Javi: Never known anyone who’s left personally.

Javi: And anyone who does? Never hear a thing from them again.

Javi: Like to think the world outside’s just so much more, makes it hard to *want* to go back.

Javi: Don’t want to be one of those though. Parents came from outside and moved back out.

Chickpea: Yeah but.. Never came back.

Chickpea: And they weren’t born here in the first place, had somewhere to go after.

Frida: Why didn’t they bring you with them?

Javi: Didn’t feel ready to leave. Thought I needed a few more years here, whole life built in this place even if  you know..

Javi: Been on lots of people’s bad side.

Javi: But you’ll get me out, yeah?

Frida: I mean I promised that much…

Frida: What are these Watchmen anyway?

Frida: Got a glance but uh..

Frida: Wasn’t even sure what I was looking at.

Frida: Kinda surprised it didn’t just break in.

Chickpea: They’re a little polite about that. Hard to call them animals, too smart for that.

Chickpea: But don’t really know if you can call them people.

Chickpea: They kinda just exist. Nobody’s been brave enough to try and hunt one down for science.

Chickpea: Only firearms around here are snuck in by vendors or in the hands of the police.

Chickpea: God knows they won’t risk their asses if they can drive away.

Chickpea: The witch is the only person in town who knows how to handle them for the most part.

Chickpea: That and maybe the old fiends but.. They don’t like to fight with them much either.

Javi: They bailed me out one time.

Chickpea: You just happened to be around at the time though.

Chickpea: Not equipped to just actively go out and fuck with these things, strong as they are.

Chickpea: Lot of folks distrust them for some reason but they’ve been pretty good when people get lost.

Javi: Planning to meet up with them before I leave but…

Javi: Guess I’m thinking now.

Frida: What’s up?

Javi: Always thought that my final days here would be partying and getting to say my goodbyes, not just booking it and trying to make it out by morning.

Javi: Got my place here and all.

Frida: I mean I can go back and grab your stuff whenever, that’s no problem.

Javi: I guess.

Frida: Know what you mean though, had to bail from a few places too.

Javi: Like?

Frida: Long stories..

Frida: Trouble has a way of finding me though.

Frida: Entity stuff.

Chickpea: Yeah you mentioned that.

Chickpea: Never seen one before, kinda assumed they’d be more eldritch than uh…

Chickpea: Bunny.

Frida: You want to see my true form?

Chickpea:.. I’m going to have to think on that. Maybe?

He looks at you again. You shrug.

Javi: I think it’s cute.

Chickpea: Yeah coming from you I don’t know what that means. No offense you’re uh..

Frida smirks at you.

Javi: Look.

Chickpea: I mean you’re valid, but if it gets a little too weird I’m going to ask you to go to the garage.

Javi: I mean we’re not dating or anything…

Frida: We could start.

Javi: Maybe when things are less hectic…

Chickpea: So just checking in uh..

Chickpea: What did you sign away exactly?

Chickpea: Aren’t these things under contract?

Javi: I fed her.

Frida: Yeah that.

Chickpea: That easy?

Frida: Mmhmm! I’m easy to work with.

Chickpea: So you guys grant wishes, right?

Frida: Kind of? Within our own power.

Chickpea: I get anything out of making you dinner?

Frida: Maybe! We can talk about that later.

Chickpea: Nice.

Chickpea: Guess I’m just worried and all. Kind of got a lot of feelings about this too.

Chickpea:  It’s uh-

You hear the garage door creek open, a muzzle peeking through just slightly, albeit not the familiar crooked one you were expecting despite the voice you hear being similar to your new witchy friend.

Nacho: Hey uh… can we talk for a minute?

Nacho: Having some issue. 

[Image: RabbutGoaltsss.png]

Nacho: Before you go in…

Javi: Yeah?

Nacho: So…

Nacho: You’re probably gonna feel a little weird about this. Be gentle when you approach.

Frida: Don’t like how you’re wording that, gonna need you to be more clear.

Nacho: Just… don’t freak out when you see things go on. Made a bit of a call in the moment.

Javi: What kind of call?

Nacho: Just..

They shake their head and crack open the door, stepping in ahead.

Nacho: One at a time.

You follow behind slowly, Frida last in line to walk in.

You peek your head inside.

A construct with long ears and horns gives you a somewhat startled gaze, recognizing you clear as day.

???: You!

Javi: Me..?

???: You ran off during the lockdown! What were you even thinking..?

Javi: You’re the librarian..?

???: Not anymore, not like this..

???: What were you even doing? You’re always going through the wood, freaks people out.

???: Kind of insane you’ve never gotten beat down by a watchman, no offense?

???: Just.. I dunno.

???: Got a message to lockdown for anyone who can’t drive straight home, wanted to let you know since you always shortcut through all the trees, and well..

???: Got really unlucky…

Javi: I’m sorry..

???: Not your fault, still a little mad at you but..

???: I just don’t get you.

???: What’s out there exactly?

Javi: Parking.

???:... Parking?

Javi: There’s a parking spot around the corner but it’s a walk if you take the main road.

Javi: Cutting through woods is easy. Long as you’re not being loud along the way, Watchmen won’t get curious.

???: That’s… okay.

???: Give me a sec to process, having a bit of a day?

Javi: Same really..

You look over at Nacho and give them a bit of a glare.

Nacho: It’s a temporary situation, we'll set her up with something better when the chance shows up.

Nacho: Til then, a familiar’s body is perfectly good with just a few touches.

???: How long is this going to be?

Nacho: Depends how this night goes honestly.

Nacho: Hopefully won’t have to do this for too many others though.

???: Wish you waited..

Nacho: Your soul got rooted by one of the watchmen. There’s only so much time before negative effects kick in, you know?

Nacho: Wait too long and you’re basically a blank slate.

Nacho: When a watchman takes you out like that, your original body gets too infested to just try and put you back. What happens after well.. Varies really. Sometimes you become more moss, sometimes it decides to replace you, and if you’re really unlucky it just becomes another watchman.

Nacho: Really what they all are at the end of the day. Bunch of lost people in the woods who got unlucky, soil is cursed.

???: Ah…

Nacho: I’m making good on my word though, no worries. Til then just stick with us. Or stay here? Guess I gotta ask uh.. Chick?

Javi: Chickpea.

Nacho: Yeah. Sure he’ll get it. Seems like the type?

???: I wanna stick with you, make sure you’re not going to dupe me here.

Nacho: I got a couple of folks keeping me in check, no worries.

Frida: Yeah about that, who are you really?

Nacho: Me? Just a passerby doing a bit of research around here.

Frida: Mean, it’s clear as day you’re a witch.

Nacho: Maybe. So’s Javi technically.

???: Witch?

Nacho: Magical expert, that sort of thing.

???: That’s real…? Like the old legends?

Nacho: Not a legend, not that old.

Frida: Choice of words.

Nacho: What’s your point?

Frida:... Javi, you know the stories right? You and Chickpea talked about a protector?

Javi: Yeah why- Oh.

Javi: Oh my god, okay yeah no.

Javi: Kinda expected someone more… wrinkly..

Nacho: Never said I was anything.

Frida: Rubs me wrong that you managed to find us by pure chance, no offense?

Frida: Feel like if this town’s supernatural activities are being watched over by someone, an entity walking around would be a big thing.

Frida: Timing just.. Feels too specific.

Frida: Same with finding and scooping up a dead familiar along the road, especially since you got one driving your car.

Frida: So?

Nacho:...Really bad at covering my tracks today.

Nacho: Yeah. So what?

Javi: Why didn’t you say anything?

Frida: Why aren’t you old?

???: An immortal…

Nacho: I like to lay low, because I’m not, and not really.

Nacho: You want the truth? I kind ended up here by accident. Massively time displaced, happens.

Nacho: Could’ve left but I’m a bit of a relic hunter on the side, bit of a personal interest you know?

Frida: Ah, one of those.

Javi: That a thing?

Frida: Yeah, hate these assholes. Collecting all sorts of abandoned magical artifacts and hoarding them. Always kind of a bad idea.

Nacho: I’m preserving them, lots of witches deserve to have their work protected.

Nacho: You let it all go to loss and what’s left of them in this world is truly gone.

Nacho: Not about that.

Nacho: Especially not in a place like this. Something huge is sealed around here, whole reason this entire place has been cursed for centuries.

Nacho: I just pop in and out when I’m able to.

Nacho: Right now it’s getting worse, gotta find the source before things go to shit, you know?

Nacho: But… I got time to drop the two of you off somewhere else. For the best really, don’t want to be here when it all goes down.

Frida: What exactly?

Nacho: Don’t know, it’s got an influence on the whole town though. Might have taken a few hosts too.

Nacho: Only thing keeping it down is from what I’ve gathered, some sort of “holy weapon”.

Nacho: Ultima class piece, that sort of thing.

[Image: Answer%20Grade.png]

Nacho: Some weapons are genuine masterpieces like that, the kind that have a piece of the soul who held them still inside. Keep a few of my own, they’re fascinating really… glances into a time long gone.

Nacho: Sometimes the things people used to make are so intense, it’s like magic even many years later. That sort of thing, you know?

Nacho: But uh.. I dunno.

Nacho: I’d tell you more but think you two would rather be out of here.

Javi:.. Nah. I wanna know.

Nacho: You sure? Might not feel good about leaving after.

Nacho: Sometimes you’re better off without forbidden knowledge.

Javi: If this is gonna hurt the people I care about? I wanna know.

Frida: I’ve gotta protect them til this whole thing gets resolved so… yeah.  That means I’m in on this too.

???: I’m gonna be stuck with you til you fix me and uh…

???: What’s my name actually?

Nacho: Locked for now, it’s a security measure.

???: For?

Nacho: If I tell you your true name right away, might cause problems with the spell keeping you alive.

Nacho: Pick something cute til then, something you.

???: Fuck okay uh..

???: Go ahead and tell the story? I’ll have something by the end.

Nacho: You got it. Get seated then, gonna be a lot to take in.

[Image: Censored.png]
Your group gets settled in the other room, Chickpea looking over.

He glances at the newly rebuilt familiar.

Chickpea: Uh… everything alright?

???: Um…

Nacho: Don’t worry about it. Storytime, maybe you might want in too?

Nacho: Not that it matters, don’t think I’ll be taking you on this job.

Chickpea: Job? And why not?

Nacho: Car’s full.

Chickpea: Ah.

Nacho: Can still listen in though, might be good if we need to retreat to have you up to speed.

Chickpea: How much context?

Nacho: Mostly filling in these three on what they don’t know so..

Chickpea: I’ll… figure it out.

Nacho: So…

Nacho: I’m the local witch, it’s a spot I tend to pop in on occasion. Big investigation target.

Nacho: Didn’t really want to be doing this to be honest, but I guess this place needs the help.

Nacho: Especially now.

Nacho: Truth be told, more of an archivist.

Nacho: Lots of important knowledge, culture, history… gets lost to time. You usually go in with the mindset that you can’t salvage everything when you take up this sort of work.

Nacho: Course in my case, I was born into it.

Javi: Family business?

Nacho: Created. Not much different from the familiars I can make really.

Nacho: Try not to think about it too much, just take the job and see how it goes.

Nacho: Bit of an experimental model myself though. Using multiple setups for this kind of work is common, minimize bad conditions if you’re just built for it. Know what I mean?

Nacho: My case, I’m practically an archive myself. Lots of data collection groups sample from all of god’s creatures, and I’m able to update in real time instead of using mods or spares.

Nacho: Least on paper. Might just be a little too unstable for that.

Nacho: But… it’s good work, and I like what we’re doing.

Frida: You from another world then? Never heard of this before…

Nacho: Might be from this one, 70% sure. At least some version of it.

Nacho: Chances of you ever seeing anyone else like me though? Once in a lifetime.

Nacho: Don’t get too attached. 

Javi: So like…

Javi: You don’t exist yet?

Nacho: Maybe.

Javi: You shouldn’t be telling me this then, yeah?

Nacho: No offense, you’re not going to live long enough for it to matter.

They point to Frida.

Nacho: You on the other hand?

Nacho: Probably, you entity types don’t seem to die.

Frida: Don’t think we can?

Nacho: You’re thinking wrong then, stay cautious.

Nacho: Though all said, you’ve got the best odds probably.

Nacho: Truth be told, not much to save with this place.
Nacho: Pretty sure it becomes a ghost town down no matter what we do.

Nacho: Unsalvagable. 

Javi:.. What happens to the people?

Nacho: Don’t know yet. I got a lot of feed from the future but.. You know.

Nacho: Weird connection going on. Can’t go back to where I came, but I can pull anything I need from there. Til then? Enjoying my time hopping around.

Nacho: That said, place is a big blank. Nothing was documented aside from tours in a few decades where the watchman phenomenon becomes a bit of a urban legend to people.

Nacho: Best we can do is make sure folks get the options to book it before it crumbles.

Javi: So in other words…

Nacho: You got no say in the matter, just a question of when and why you want to leave.

Nacho: Sticking around though, might be a bit of a hard sell.

???: I mean I can prove I’m alive…

Nacho: Yeah, thumpers for the old books aren’t going to take kindly to constructs.

Javi:.... I’ve never seen one in town actually.

Nacho: Point proven.

Nacho: Personally once we’ve got a better connection, we can set you up with something better than what you’ve got for now though.

Nacho: People can be whatever they want, long as you’re willing to do a little work with me after.

???: Think I’m going to need time on that.

Javi: So if you’re modified…

Nacho: I’m a Chimeric Unit. Not really modified, built from the ground up.

Nacho: Mix and match traits, most of us start as remixes though so to speak.

Nacho: When you archive enough about people, especially historically notable witches well…

Nacho: Easy to use them as reference models for folks like me.

Nacho: Don’t know what I’d think if I met my original, personally.

Nacho: Ask them why they fucked up so bad, argue, make out, get taken to dinner, and then crawl out the bathroom window.

Frida: Sounds like you got a lot going on.

Nacho: Used to it really.

Nacho: You’re both welcome to join in on this too. Gotta be more exciting than a place like this.

Javi: You’re offering?

Nacho: Little bit, need other people to talk to. Got my little guys but.. You know.

Javi: Think I’m good for now.

Nacho: Figures.. No offense taken though.

Nacho: You mentioned a fiend, speaking of.

Javi: What about?

Nacho: I wanna meet them before we go into the woods.

Nacho: Got a hunch, figure you’d wanna see them too like we planned.

Javi: I mean yeah.

Nacho: Good. I’m gonna ask our driver to start warming up the car in a sec then.

Javi: We’re gonna go right now?

Nacho: Can’t be taking too long, you know?

Nacho: You wanna stick with me, gotta get used to this pacing.

Nacho: Offer to just leave is still there.

Javi: Still sticking it out.

Nacho: Got five minutes then, get packed.

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.