Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crafting General Thread
do you do crafts? maybe you should. it's fun!

here is a thread where you can post any crafts you've made! what constitutes a craft? literally anything. post WIPs, finished projects, ideas, discussion, comments, whatever you want.

(i am also making this thread on the eggwarexyz forums because fuck it why not. forum friendship!)

let me start...

we've started plushmaking for the first time in over 10 years! we're starting how we did back when we were kids, with socks as a primary material. our supplies are pretty limited at the moment, but once we move to our new place and get settled in, we should be able to start thrifting and getting primarily vintage supplies. our friend feely is even going to give us a sewing machine! [Image: tcp_blush_small.png]

here are our two plushes we've made so far:

[Image: 2_26_08_24_2_30_08.png]

[image description: a blue, quadrupedal plush made out of blue socks, rainbow striped fabric for the ears, and buttons for the eyes and nose. its eye buttons are round, and are each yellow and red, and its nose button is a giant pink heart. it has a red thread smile, and looks pretty smug. it is also lopsided, and the head is messily attached.]

neither of these guys have names yet, but this is our system's plush. he is a little weirdo! everyone keeps calling him a bat. his ears are a diff fabric due to us uh. cutting the head badly. and don't ask me what his back legs look like. we might give him a tail eventually!

[Image: 2_26_08_24_3_23_02.png]
[image description: a solid orange sock plush, complete with an extremely lopsided body and massive bunny ears. its small button eyes are yellow, and it has a blue starfish nose and a shy stitched mouth.]

okay, well. as it turns out, i'm a lot less skilled at plushmaking than bit. plural skill difference continues to be a thing, especially with something we haven't done in 10 years. even so- we made this guy for como, and como loves it. it helps that we aren't distressed at all by lumpy or "misshapen" plushes- we just want to make little guys, and it's fun no matter what. the construction's pretty solid, too! i learned a lot.

i really want to make more of these. like, a lot of these. i'll probably wait until after our move on the second to do so, but man! we're cookin!

these things are also stimmy as fuck. seriously, best plush to aggressively squeeze- and they love it. they really do.
[Image: TCP%20customs.png][Image: 2411]
[Image: fishbeaw.png]
[image description: a teddy bear split between chartreuse solid fabric and blue/green aquatic fabric, with the right side of the front/back being coral and turtle/fish patterns respectively.  his large button eyes are the opposite side's color, he has a blue button nose, a teal smile. and seahorse, whale, and shark buttons on his torso.]

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee new guy
no name for him yet, though "fishbeaw" works for now. he's cool! our first plush from a pattern and first plush this goddamn large, i would not recommend hand sewing this pattern at all due to the sheer size of it (though it was easy! just time consuming). none of these components were purchased with the project in mind...which, honestly, i really liked. all 4 fat quarters we used for the plush were from random assortments (one solid assortment we got two of the same color for, and then an aquatic assortment- so yeah those colors ARE meant to go together, but the patterns weren't chosen in advance), the buttons are from a random assortment we got from walmart (including the sea life ones?! in the same colors?!?!?) and the floss is floss from an assortment. of floss. the pattern itself is Simplicity S9360, and i HIGHLY recommend it- it's a 4 piece pattern and each piece can be used with a fat quarter, making it fucking awesome for if you're into those sorts of things. i am highly tempted to make another one with entirely different vibes, but we'll see if i do that or use one of the other two patterns included (a puppy and kitty...).

we went into this wanting to wing it and it came out Amazing, which really helps me feel good about how we'll be able to design one of a kind guys going forward. we have no real urge to sell these and our main goal is to make them for friends and such, so consistency isn't a huge goal- it's about having fun and making unique toys, and really working that character design sense into them. super exciting, especially since thrifted fabric is the goal! turns out our petz skills of matching textures may come in clutch here...

not sure what the next project will be, though we're considering making the next plush for a friend. stay tuned, it might be a lot of improv!
[Image: TCP%20customs.png][Image: 2411]

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.