Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INFERNO - A Intermission [Passing Assassin]
[Image: Inferno%20Small.png]
[image description: A anthropomorphic dog woman in a jagged void between two fragmented surreal landscapes. She is postured as if you caught her in the middle of something, her expression silly but directly acknowledging the reader. She holds a book in her hands with a spread showcasing the alchemist symbols for The Sun, The Earth, and Pluto aligned. The borders of the artwork seem to be cracked open, allowing her shadow to extend past it.]

???: Hello! Seems like you've slipped down here too. The way back up isn't too hard to find, given you're willing to think outside the box.

???: Me? I'm usually down here I suppose... I'd offer you a cocktail, or some tea if we were a little closer to my spot... I'm Dolce Durante.
(Dohl-Shey Duu-Rahn-Tey)

Dolce: And you...?

Dolce: Ah.. not quick to reply? Then I think that pins down who or what you are exactly... I wouldn't worry though, it's enough to separate guest from foe and that's a tad important lately.

Dolce: You're the former in case you're wondering, if you were the latter I wouldn't be taking so kindly to being given the quiet treatment. That said I should really give you chance to speak, can only gauge so much from silence. Hmm..

Dolce: You're fine by the way just.. I figure you know the rules by now. To engage with those outside your domain is to bind yourself to the rules of them... though now that these borders are cracked I don't know how long that will last. For now.. a game? One that might be a bit familiar. Let me just get a spread going and...

Dolce: Pick a card, tell me whatever inclines you toward it. I promise you there's no such thing as stupid questions or wrong answers.

(0) The Fool: The Fated Pilgrim, The Envoy of the Beginning
The proof of how far we've come, A Reminder of how much we've left behind.

(XIII) Death: The Ferryman of Change, The Path that Ends Suffering
All Good Things must come to a End, All Wounds will heal with time

(XXI) The World: The Journey's End, The Soul's Final Form
The Fruit of all life's labors, The truth that living is futility
Death. things need to change, I can feel it. We cannot be stuck in this limbo forever.
death, i want to believe it desperately, even if it's completely foreign to me. surely there must be an end to this.
[Image: TCP%20customs.png][Image: 2411]
[Image: Inferno%20Real%20Card.png]
[image description: A hand holding a Tarot card with the image of a pale woman with a rose for a head wearing a dress with a skull. She is in the middle of walking to the left. There is a flag, a tower being struck by lightning, and a tree holding a boot in the background.]

Death, its time for things to change. Even if it foreign, there surely must be a end...

Dolce: Oh? That's a little dramatic, no? I suppose that's fitting though...

We can't be stuck in this limbo forever... surely there must be a end to this..

Dolce: ..You just got here though, didn't you? Suppose there's a chance we've just missed each other repeatedly I guess... I guess that does give me a little insight..

Dolce: ...You look a little disappointed though. Suppose you expected one of those wretched phantoms to show up for your troubles? It isn't that simple...

Dolce: People find themselves attached to these cards as a means of forging your own path. Given infinite possibilities to create true form, most people get massively overwhelmed. By giving them a smaller pool of options you're guiding their choices but still giving them a sense of freedom.

Dolce: And with cards like these? They're perfect. A spread of three is more than enough for most people. Back in the day people used to use the whole tarot deck but when your options are a sword, two swords, and 10 cups well.. it becomes a new kind of overwhelming. Now its too abstracted..

Dolce: I think people like choices to be meaningful even if they're limited. And that... makes them easy to control sometimes. A king who's unchallenged is the result of people not knowing their full options...

Dolce: Now most people who pick this card seem to be fond of that idea, being the natural change even those with the highest thrown can't avoid. But... Death is not picky. It is neither friend nor enemy, and eventually when it comes for you it will ask you if you wish to go with dignity..
[Image: Inferno%20style.png]

[image description: Dolche's finger pokes a chess piece shaped like a dog on the nose. The chess piece has a angelic halo, eyes with star shaped pupils in the center, and a red cloak covered in star patterns. Its difficult to distinguish the piece as either a knight or a pawn off its shape.]
Dolce: And Death goes hand in hand with Judgement. Look at this little guy, cute right? Now unlike Death, Judgment is completely controlled by the bias of the winner. To some they might be a hero but to others? Absolutely wretched, a destroyer of worlds unprecedented.

Dolce: And if that sounds off well... the crack we're in right now is nothing more than a result of that bias. Granted, I think all things considered we're overall at a net positive so.. I will spare him. For now anyway, I owe my freedom to him so I suppose I have a bias myself..

Dolce: And that brings me to ask, where do your biases lie? You certainly have someone you fight for, and one look at those eyes make it very clear you absolutely have a picture of the worst kind of person in your mind. So....

Dolce: I'd like to know. And in exchange, you're free to ask questions as well. It's only fair after all.
[Image: cursed%20tarot3.png]

[image description: A finger pointing to a tarot card with a humanoid figure wearing a elaborate outfit with fur trims and a metal plated sectioned skirt.]

Dolce: Gone silent on me, entity? Was it the font? I can tone it down...

Dolce: Unfortunate, but I've gotten plenty out of our little exchange...

Dolce: Honestly it's a little less cute than most would like but.. we can use a change in things.

Dolce: Suppose now I owe a lot to you too! And thus you are spared yourself.

Dolce: Proxy...

Dolce: You know, I think I understand the appeal of this.

Dolce: You could pick any object to hone your focus on, but one like this? It's beautiful in its own right...

Dolce: Now for how long you've given me the cold shoulder, I should just assume we're done and move on.

Dolce: But it'd be odd to take a gift from a otherworldly tenant and not give anything of value in return...

[Image: three%20stories.png]
[image description: A tome with a bookmark and various symbols marked on the cover, it looks somewhat worn.]

Dolce: This tome right here's done quite a bit for me recently, managed to salvage it off a old rival who managed to find this crack before I did. Well, was a rival... bit of a odd fellow.

Dolce: Massive tool of a man with eyes toward the handler of his contract.

Dolce: Unrequited of course, he was quite a nasty person with high ambition and zero work ethic. Popular though among his people, didn't die unbedded so that's something I suppose he can take with him down the river...

Dolce: Admittedly I have to wonder... no, maybe not.

Dolce: Despite what people say, you can't exactly fix someone after a point. Imagine though..

Dolce: Ugh, I've gone and derailed things...

Dolce: The tome is divided into three sections:

- The Story of Pluto, The Defiance of Suffering
- The Story of Earth, The Love that Drives Suffering
- The Story of Sun, The Kingdom Above Suffering

Dolce: Pick one before I change my mind.
Sorry, I had nothing to ask. There are many things I could ha asked, but none seemed important.

The story of Pluto.

There is no kingdom that is above suffering, and all love brings pain. But, there is always more use for ways to ease and defy suffering.
[Image: pluto%20Knight%20Small.png]

[image description: Illustration of a cloaked knight with a helmet sitting on a rooftop made of salvaged sheets of material hastily put together. They are clutching a weapon in hand and watch out at the distance. It is nighttime]

Didn't really have much to ask for in the moment, sorry...

Dolce: That's alright, was just worried you'd abandoned me... not that I'd be all that bothered or anything, right?

Dolce: I'm just welcoming the first guest in awhile who hasn't met me with hostility...

Dolce: So, have you made up your mind?

The story of Pluto...

Dolce: Oh? Suppose that's the name people have heard the most so that makes sense.

Dolce: What has you leaning toward that?

There is no kingdom above suffering, it has to always come at a cost.

Dolce: Mm, have to wonder if that comes from experience.

Maybe..

Dolce: Maybe.. Continue?

And all love brings pain, whether by intention or not.

In the end what we can all use is more ways to ease and defy suffering.

Dolce: Well spoken...

Dolce: Then let us start with the Story of Pluto. It's a bit of a curiosity I think..

Dolce: It's one that seems to exist across worlds, what format it appears in tends to vary though. Perhaps it's a constant between realities? Seen it in the form of a play, a novel, actual history to some... a CD? I could not find a compatible player however, I suppose script and formatting works differently between worlds....

[Image: The%20Simp%20Small.png]
[image description: The Cloaked Knight kneels to a entity of feminine presentation who's upper body is visually obscured, blush tinting across the face of their helmet.]

Dolce: It's also very much catnip for a kind of person with certain sensibilities... I am a kind of person.

Dolce: I have to give a proper warning, once the tale starts it cannot be disrupted until the end.  If you have any last words before we start, make them count.
Hmmm. Thank you for this. It's nice. I wish you well, and hope that have less hostile visitors and more nice guests in the future.

Oh, and the questions you asked: right now I'm fighting for Spiral Renegade and his friends. And the worst type of person Is Spit, but I doubt she'll be relevant for this... Adventure.
*Appreciate the heads up and thank you for this. It's nice..*

Dolce: I try my best..

*I wish you well and hope that you have less hostile visitors in the future, more nice guests from here on.*

Dolce: Preach it. After we part ways I do hope we meet again, albeit it might not be in the same form as before..

*Mmhmm. Oh! and the questions you asked quick before we start: Right now I'm fighting for Spiral Renegade and his friends. And the worst type of person I can think of is Spit but.. I doubt she'll be relevant for our adventure.*

Dolce: I would not bet on you receiving any closure here no.... but I think the world is both bigger and smaller than you might think. Don't be surprised.

Dolce: Now then, the story of Pluto... to be honest I counted entirely on your choices being what they were so I'm glad we're not pivoting. Call it manipulation of false choice, I think it's just good showmanship. So, without any further delay..

Another Mulligan: The Story of Pluto
Fall Special 2024
Perspective: The Client
CW: Explorations of grief, death, poverty, and chronic illness.
[Image: Mullbunny%201.png]

The Client: His halo's sheen...

The  Neighborhood Courier: Running hot, struggling to get air. I don't think he's got all that long.

The Client: I know. I've prepped fare in advance. Make sure nobody take it while I'm out-

The Neighborhood Courier: You're not really leaving right now, are you?

The Client: Need funds, supplies, medicine. If I can finish a job today-

The Neighborhood Courier:  If..

The Client: What are you proposing instead?

[Image: mullbunny%203.png]

The Neighborhood Courier:  Stay here, comfort him with me. You can miss a day for his sake-

The Client: If I do that he's guaranteed to pass.

The Neighborhood Courier:  He'd know he's loved..

You press your fingers to your forehead

The Neighborhood Courier:  Please...

The Client: I don't want to give up on him..

The Neighborhood Courier:  You don't want to not be their either..

The Client: He's strong, he can hold out a few hours more-

The Neighborhood Courier:  For what? A sliver of a chance of living just a day or two more? He needs a doctor, active treatments even a good gig wouldn't be enough for-

They try to grab you, you yank your arm away.

The Client: Just... a couple of hours, all I need. You can keep him here for that long..

The Neighborhood Courier:  lets out a heavy sigh, a long pause before any proper response.

The Neighborhood Courier:  3 Hours max, you come home no matter what the result. I'll do my best but I'm really holding you to that.

The Client: Aye.. I can make that work.

The Neighborhood Courier:  I.. I can't promise anything-

The Client: It wouldn't be your fault.. I've confidence in you though.

The Neighborhood Courier:  gives you a little nod.

You brush the bundling of your coat aside and start heading out.

The Neighborhood Courier:  Please be safe..

The Client: Of course..

You hurry out of the old apartment and onto the street. Just need to make it to the bounty board, find a job with a high profile target. Doesn't matter who, or how much heat you'll face later on just...

A large woman in a wide brimmed hat and dress turns a corner, nearly bumping into you.

You fumble a little trying to avoid her, she catches you just before you hit the dirt.

The Client: S-sorry, I'm in a bit of a hurry and-

[Image: mullbunny%202.png]

You look up at her proper, something is immediately off...

The Hatted Grim: You nearly ran into me..

The Client: I apologize, really do just-

The Hatted Grim: So you can see me then?

There's no time-

The Hatted Grim: I'd like to sit down and talk, perhaps over a hot drink-

The Client: I've got work-

The Hatted Grim: Where?

The Client: Please, I'm running late and I really don't have time for this..

The Hatted Grim: And I'm gauging your talents, where?

The Client: ..Bounty Board at Will's Tab.

Though het face was hidden from you, there was a certain sense of dread coming.

The Hatted Grim: That.. won't do you much good today I don't think.

The Client: What do you mean?

The Hatted Grim: Arson. In the next few moments, it will fully ignite and your time will have been wasted.

The Client: That's absurd, how would-

The Hatted Grim: Listen to me. Count to 20, look south.

You turn your head, just play out the bit until she lets go of you.

The Client: I don't see anything-

The Hatted Grim: Keep looking.

...Smoke, the heavy kind distinct rom the haze of chimney fires. Murky, dark, and soon the smell of ashen wood fills the air.

The Client: ....What did you do?

You start reaching carefully with your free hand toward your lance.

The Hatted Grim: Save your life, if I hadn't stopped you well.. you'd be in there right now.

You pause.

Was she right? Was this entire thing a effort to stall you? How much does she know?

The Client: Who are you? How did you know?

The Hatted Grim: Someone who doesn't operate on this plane, who can pay you worth your time and energy.  I think you've got a lot untapped.

The Client: Unless you can pay me in advance I-

The Hatted Grim: Give me your rates and it can be done. I am curious though, is the rent due? You really seem in a hurry..

The Client: ..My friend is very ill, might not make it til the end of the day. I have to-

The Hatted Grim: You're choosing to work instead?

The Client: I....

The Hatted Grim: Are you avoiding him?

The Client: No, never! I just... I've seen too many good people go and not been able to do much about it. Know my odds are a sliver but..  

The Hatted Grim: Mm..

The Client: He worked himself to the bone for me, I'll do the same..

She releases your arm.

The Hatted Grim: ...You made a difficult choice.

The Client: ...Yes. I fear it was for nothing now..

The Hatted Grim: I wouldn't be so sure just yet. Where is he?

The Client: Pardon?

The Hatted Grim: You need assistance, yes?

The Client: I... yes I do. Are you a doctor or...?

The Hatted Grim: Something like that, a master of multiple trades really.

The Client: ..Could you look at him now? I'll do what I can to pay you back later-

The Hatted Grim: Take me there, and the debt can be a conversation for another time.

She holds out her hand to you.

You latch on and give her a firm shake.

The Client: I can work with that, follow me.

You quickly make your way over, keeping a close eye as the woman follows.

Up the stairs...

You slam open the door a little too hard, your neighbor jumps from the noise.

The Neighborhood Courier: Little courtesy please, you're back already?

The Client: I've..

The Neighborhood Courier: Is something wrong? What happened?

The Client: I.. have procured someone who-

You turn your head over, the woman is gone.

Did she get lost? You swore she was with you the whole time-

The Courier looks at you with worry.

The Client: I'm..

The Neighborhood Courier: Stress has gotten to you.. just stay here with us. Got some good news at least..

She gesture for you to come over to check on your friend.

The Neighborhood Courier: Hear that?  

You keep an ear out, nothing but the occasional soft snore.

The Client: I don't think so..

The Neighborhood Courier: Exactly, his throat's cleared up. Breathing normally.

A voice in your head...

Check his temperature...

You reach your hand out to his forehead.

No fever..

In general he seems relaxed, the most comfortable he's looked in days..

..Did I do good?

What did she want?

You're a relic from a more noble era.. your time and potential is wasted struggling just to make ends meet. I want to put you to work on something more grand, and in exchange you and your people will be taken care of to the best of my ability...

I'm in the apartment hallway...

The Client: Stay here a sec.

The Neighborhood Courier:  You're leaving now?

The Client: The iron is hot, if he's coming to his senses I want him to be comforted to the fullest.

The Neighborhood Courier:... Be quick.

The Client: Aye.

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.