Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dopple Effect: A Story of Rabbits and Robots.
Dopple Effect Entry: 001

Archive Footage found from a sampled AI Scrap, footage dropped as the spaghetti coding nightmare left inside is untangled. Please be patient as efforts are progressing as fast as possible.

A camera rolls, fixated on a rabbit-like creature in a room with a single light over their desk. They're wearing a eye patch-esque adhesive band over one eye and waving at the camera with a smile. It adjusts to keep them on focus.

[Image: q0nbW7E.png]

"Heya, haven't talked much in a few days.. I mean you can't right now but I'll fix you up soon as I can. Promise, scout's honor and all that. Started rehab about a week ago, kind of been a bad spot mentally but they let me start bringing stuff in so I thought I'd take you with me... that's okay right? Promise I'll fix you up, everyone misses you right now. Good news is they got you attached to a probe that's got a record and print feature so proper resurrection can't be too far right? Hey, if you had to pick would you rather be a clone or a robot? I mean I guess I'm more the latter but... I dunno. Mori said that talking to scraps might help them piece things together a bit more and once we figure out that print stuff together you'll be able to reply back right? That'd be nice...."

They lean back. 

"The rooms they got here are okay. One of Apollo's folks pitched in to make sure I'd be good and comfy here... all things considered I am, but I'm still nervous you know? Keep being seated with folks who I don't click with too well, folks that don't really want to talk to me. I guess none of them came here out of choice though.... I mean I think I did. They asked me to sign so I made the call right? Looks like a prison though sometimes but at least we got a nice view from some angles. I can see downtown, theme park and all on a clear day. I mean it's winter so... lots of clouds. At least I should be out by spring though so... not getting to see the best view's good right? I dunno, you appreciate anything pretty you see in here.. When you're back though and we got you a new shell we're gonna make up for lost time. Gonna get ice cream, maybe go to the beach.. something."

They got lost in thought for a little before continuing on. 

"You think I should get the eye fixed? I mean I can anytime maybe but... I think it's a bit of a trademark look you know? Makes it seem like I've got battle scars which... they are but I think I lost those fights more than anything. You'd think being a demon would make me a better duelist right? Mori has to help me out a ton... poor thing is too good to be stuck doing body double work after Doc Elmer died. They took up the mantle but they still gotta pretend to be the old god? That's garbage! I guess I'm their demon now, honestly a way better deal though. Doc was uh... hard to connect with."

They looked spooked for a sec when they realized what they said.

"I mean not that I had a issue with Doc! Just... they weren't too close with anyone at all. Mori is good though, I think they got what it takes to do this. Gosh, world's gonna be so different when you come back... I just want you to know that if they fix you before this place makes me better well... be there outside when I'm out yeah? If you want though..." They smiled. "I mean I know you will, you've never done me wrong before right? Not in a way we don't settle before sunset. Jeez, really talked your ear out there today. If you got a response just uh... drop it in the printer alright Fizz? You got this, I believe in you. We're both gonna get better and when we do it'll be Fizz and Diane robbing candy from babies and making birds swim. For now I'm gonna get some rest. Got another busy day of working on my brain tomorrow. You take care. Love you. No homo.... maybe a little. Night."

[Image: 3eXBcEo.png]
Dopple Effect: Update 002 - The First Days.

[Image: hsVE89w.png]

Footage opens to a Dopple laying in bed. Records refer to them as "Diane Hook", a public sensitive and currently publicly MIA Demon who previously rotated hands between a few gods.

"Hey Fizz. Wanted to do a proper morning check in but they pull you out pretty early. Pretty bushed after today but dinner was nice. Eggs and tots, honestly seems more like breakfast but I'll take it. Apollo called in to say that I'll be out before I know it which is nice... I mean I don't have to be here if I don't want to right? They asked me, I had to sign it myself, it's all good. Plus right now it's safer as far as I'm told.  Got a notification of sorts earlier that sensitives in any sort of service aren't supposed to be out lately. Illegal dueling or something that's targeting folks with a specific kind of skill. Hate that, hate quietly watching... wish I could help them but I really don't wanna one day wake up burning at the stake you know? Gosh I miss you..."

The Dopple did their best to get comfortable

"Really wish you could talk to me right now, please do as soon as you can. I mean, I know you're trying. Printer went off a few times today but nothing comprehensible. Are the keys a little hard to work with for you? We can get you something different if you need it... uh... maybe I'll get you blocks or a board or something to work with but don't know how to rig something like that in here. They're a bit strict, won't even let me eat a banana without getting scared. Kind of a one size fits all deal so stuck with the same rules as whatever sad grandpas are here too."

They fluffed their pillows before flopping sideways. 

"I already hate this place honestly but my brain doesn't wanna work out there anymore. The real world just melts me these days, makes me into mush until I stop existing. I just wanna get better soon, I really wanna go back to work. I wanna cash in my hours and have dumb little brunches at cafes with the other demons and see you after work and know things are gonna be okay. I miss seeing everyone, I really do... talk to me whatever way I can yeah? If you can just... just do it a little, okay? I'm gonna wrap things up, don't wanna overheat you right now but yeah. I'll try talking to you again. We're gonna get you better, I'm gonna get better, and whatever nastiness is going on in the world right we're gonna deal with in stride. For now just hang in there too. Don't be a stranger, love you."

Diane reaches over to cut the feed. The next few days of footage are fairly repetitive but we will be analyzed intensively regardless.
Dopple Effect: Entry 003

[Image: DscrXSX.png]

"So yesterday I found someone that I think I'd like you to meet today. The recreation area on the first floor is right next to the lobby right? so it's near where folks enter and sometimes this stray little guy just makes it in. The staff said it wouldn't harm a fly so... I figured I'd bring you with me today to go look at it."

Diane turns the camera toward a friendly creature the size of a cardboard shipping box in the middle of the floor.

"Look at this good little buddy here! Doesn't have a name as far as I know so I'll just keep calling it that. I don't wanna spook it so I'm gonna let it approach, hoping it'll let me scratch behind its ears today. Yesterday it would keep getting close but never really seemed to wanna stick around....."

Diane tries to reach for the creature but it mostly seemed to ignore them. 

[Image: zj0digt.png]

"It's a little on the shy and quiet side today but that's no big deal. One day it'll approach right? Until then I'm gonna keep trying. Maybe when I'm out and they put you back together I'll surprise you with a little friend of our own yeah? I mean... if you want of course, I got no idea how you do with pets. It'd be good for us I think... I think it's getting closer? Oh shit-"

The "little buddy" jumps directly on the camera, pressing its face up against the lens mounted scrap.

[Image: TVx6zSn.png]

"It seems to like you! It never got that close before! I'm gonna go ahead and put you away for now before it gets too carried away...."

There's brief audible shuffling until the feed ends.
Dopple Effect Entry 004

[Image: 7uXo04C.png]

Diane is talking from off screen. 

"Recording again. I got your letter Fizz! I'm gonna address this formally... Apollo suggested reading these into the recordings just in case there's some memory or processing issues on your end with stuff but... well I skimmed a bit and I'm glad you're still you." She lingers on the moment a bit. "Anyway right, down to reading it..."

"Hello ! I think I'm getting the gist of things. It's difficult and tiring but I will do my best . If I cut off early I'm sorry . I've got eyes and ears but I can't move and it's fucking difficult I'm not going to lie . I can listen but I sure can't scream. I got no heart but I feel it beating like I've got anxiety. I trust you, I need you to be honest . How fucked up am I right now, take me to a mirror please? Tired. Sorry. Thank . Love ."

She shakes her head. "Is the setup too hard on you? We can fuss a little bit more if it'd help. Glad to see you're still strong enough to talk though... Oh! The thing in front of you right? That's you right now, sorry we can't do much better at the moment. Something's made it a bit tricky and.... I guess I am worried they won't figure it out but so far things are a little more optimistic. They're getting closer uh... you're kinda luminescent though so that's something I guess right? I could probably do you better than this so I will when I get the chance. Just hang in there I guess. I'm gonna let you rest in case that's a bit much for you right now. Reply soon, love you."
Dopple Effect: Entry 005

[Image: cOvhCBs.png]

Diane stands in front of a window, the feed is as clear as can be.

"I was given permission to bring you with me again, only will have you out for a tiny little period of time because I know it's quite draining on you. I wanted you to see the view with me, it's gorgeous.... you almost want to reach out. A faculty member told me that they had to shatterproof the glass in advance because people have a tendency to lean on these sort of window setups though I also have heard the window frames are very possible to break with too much weight applied at once... Terrifying thought."

Diane spends a good while gazing at the window and murmuring to themself.

"Very soon they may let me out which is exciting, I'm pretty tired of this place. The staff don't seem well paid, the food isn't anything I'd look for myself, and it gets a little claustrophobic at times. I haven't had luck finding any real friends and groups are rotated to regular to build something that'd last more than a day or two if I'm lucky. Oh! I do make sure to see my little buddy in the lobby every once in awhile. It really does need a proper name at this point.... it rolled over for me once believe it or not."

They let out a sigh. "I haven't been able to communicate with Mori, they've been so busy lately now that they're acting as a full time god. Not a promotion they wanted but they insisted and they really are the best for the job... We should all go out for lunch together when we can. 

Oh! So news on your situation! You aren't compatible with a mechanical shell anymore but you should still be good with a organic one. Once we find a donor you'll be all set! Do you uh... want to wait until I'm out though? You don't have to but... I'd miss you knowing you're out there and I'm still in here for awhile.... up to you! I can't imagine you like being strapped to a camera though so I don't blame you if you want out as soon as possible. Reply soon okay? Love you..."

[Image: dtOO4s4.png]
Dopple Effect Entry 006

[Image: VNDUYWU.png]

"So um.... the examination did not go great. It started out fine! I passed the cognitive part, I didn't set off any red flags but... when it came to testing out how I integrate back into public settings I um... I didn't do so great. That's on me really, there's nothing hard about half the things they wanted me to do. Anyone can walk up and order food, or ask for directions... why is it so hard though? Why doesn't my head work? There's nothing scary, nothing hard about it and yet everytime I start choking up and I wanna cry and..."

Their voice released each word with a strangling discord and a cracking strain. 

"How am I supposed to work with the biggest in town if I can't handle a public setting like a normal person? How am I supposed to do that Fizz?"

Diane pauses to cool off. 

"I'm sorry... I'm probably stressing you out yelling about this but... we're here for a little longer. Mori says it's for the best, outside there's some backlash against folks who see scraps of people and ghosts and spirits and all that and uh... the tension is apparently pretty bad. It'd be safer here according to them but they do hope things get better soon... um.... I got your letter. It's a little confusing. Lemme read it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The light , there's someone else here ! Someone else from somewhere far away ! We gotta go on a trip, a long one . This shell is tiny and burning with all of us in it . You're gonna see the moon, I don't want you to go there I need you here. I miss you . I'm sorry for the time I ate your leftovers. We gotta go though, we gotta go on a trip . There's a big eclipse coming there's someone else here . Tired . There's someone else here . Thank you . 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Um..... are you okay? I don't know what any of that means but if you could please explain I'd like that. As best you can? I know it's hard right now since you're kind of a dismembered soul in a camera but... please? Who else is there? Are you picking up a weird signal? I mean... maybe it's just a bunch of manic thoughts which I can get that, I got no idea how the typewriter collects things. I don't wanna burn you out too hard so I guess I'll um... cut the feed in a sec to let you rest if you're tired though. You take care okay? Thank you for being my friend, we'll put you back together soon alright? Love you. I really do."

They do their best to smile at "Fizz", even if they have all reason not to right now.

[Image: 2v92hH6.png]
Diane can be heard offscreen.

"So good news! So first of all Mori is here today with us as you might've noticed by now. Say Hi."

[Image: 9mG82gB.png]

Mori gives a thumbs up at the camera. "Yo, get well soon Fizz."

"That sounded phoned in."

"I'm tired Diane, I don't do cameras after work like that. I look like dukey."

"It's barely a camera and you look fine."

"Still, keep it off me. Camera gets me self conscious hard sometimes."

"Noted, we'll scoot right off of you."

Diane adjusts the camera around, getting a good look of the park from the bridge over a narrow part of the lake.

"So second of all, and the big one, I'm getting hours to go out! I need a chaperone to uh... keep me safe apparently so Mori volunteered today to do that."

"You're welcome." 

"Thank you! But yeah, this is to get me more exposure to being outside again. Exposure therapy or something like that? So we're gonna be out here more. We're gonna put you on a mobile rigging that'll let you get some basic movement in."

"Hey uh... don't stare directly into the sun with that yeah? That'll damage the lens."

"It's not that bright."

"Still.... I can replace it if something happens, but I can't get it to you and Fizz instantly you know."

"I'll be careful. But yeah, things are gonna be easier on us since we'll be in there longer but.... hopefully not too much longer. God it's nice today...."

There's a long moment of silence and the shot stays on the park for the rest of the feed, the audio device seems to have malfunctioned. Diane can be seen occasionally turning to face Mori, possibly conversing. There is no way to restore the rest of the day's footage.

[Image: D4s3b2I.png]
Due to the nature of these diaries, future archives will be marked with a respective archive number to date these better.

Viewings will be limited toward historian majors, scholars, and faculty while this re-organization process goes on.

Transcripts will be provided as a options for viewers with processing or impairment issues. 

Dopple Effect Logs: 062

Diane: Hey! been awhile since you've wrote anything cohesive. I got some good news. I heard they're going to try and see if they can fix things up with you really soon. I'm currently living with Mori... uh.... I guess I'm out just for a little bit. They decided it'd be better for my sake to be around more people I'm familiar with and also things have been kinda nutty in the world. Mori's place is uh... kind of nice? Smaller than I'd think for a god but I kinda like that. Anyway it's better. I guess I did get out of there by spring but uh... I'm still in therapy for now. Oh! I something to show you. Mori wants me examining otherworldly objects for spiritual essence. This one kind of reminds me of you a bit.

[Image: bkfWZmz.png]

Diane: It's got your face a little, some kind of toy maybe? It just showed up one day and nobody could pin down what it is. Mori thinks a weird entity left it behind. You know angels right? Those things that whisk people away through time and space? I mean... I hope it's just a cryptid thing but there is some kind of weird presence to it.. Seems mostly harmless though. 

There's a slight electronic buzzing in response.

Diane: Was that you fizz? Are you alright? Are you uh.... saying something or.... what's up?

Diane nudges the object closer, the buzz becomes a louder hymn.

Diane: Fizz? Are you getting something out of this? Should.... Should I call Mori?. Uh.... Mori!

The feed cuts.

Dopple Effect Logs: 063

The current log is identifiable as a temporary lab setup within a location that cannot be disclosed for another 5 years, 3 months, and 2 days. As such, the transcripts in this area may redact information. 

[Image: pnUrg11.png]

Redacted 01: Reflexes seem to be kicking in... blinking is identifiable. Don't know how much you can hear from in there with the fluid tank going...

Redacted 02: How long will it take to release them?

Redacted 01: Whenever they stabilize. We need to calibrate them to a organic nervous system.

Redacted 02: Is the body a donor or created?

Redacted 01: Donor, required a little refurbishing to make it work. It's been getting harder to find donors with the way things have been going. Dead are just getting up and walking. Sensitives and fully synthetic folks are completely immune which has made the former a bit of a target. Citizens of dopples heritage are also resistant.     

Redacted 02: Did you ever figure out how contagious it is?

Redacted 01: Everyone could be a carrier for all we know, and you won't know. Hopefully there won't be any accidents. Hopefully your found godhood will keep you safe/

Redacted 02: Hopefully. It's a parasitic thing?

Redacted 01: Mmhmm, of a flora-like nature. Those infected have shown to slowly regain sentience but of a separate consciousness. 

Redacted 02: Ah.... is that why you chose a dopple body for Fizz?

Redacted 01: Mm. They're no longer compatible with current day synthetic forms. Vintage models are too high maintenance by comparison so... hopefully it'll work out and keep them safe. You two are friend yes?

Redacted 02: Long time friends. They're not going to be happy but it is what it is. 

The feed fades to black after a few blinks. There's a long quiet before it ends. 
CW: Discussion of death, discussion of outbreak.

The following logs come from a conversation documented without visual sourcing.

Mori: Fizz, can you say a little something for the audio recorder?

Fizz: Yes.

Mori: A little more? Without being a smart ass?

Fizz: You think I'm smart? I appreciate it.

Mori: You're lucky we're friends or I'd yell at you for this. How's the body adjusting?

Fizz: Bad, honestly. Got a stomach cramp a lot of the time, tries to reject me about halfway through the day... I'm not much of a fan. Old body never did that.

Mori: Old body does that now. There's not much in terms of options.

Fizz: Sucks but I know everyone is doing what they can. 

Mori: We're waiting to see if this new shell accepts you before we let you out. We wanna make sure you're also at least stable before you see other familiar people.

Fizz: I'll manage... so uh, what's going on outside lately? Weather bad or something?

Mori: Mm? It's a little more complicated than that. 

Fizz: Yeah well I wanna know.

Mori: Can I tell you off record? I don't want to freak you out right now.

Fizz: I'm sure it's fine.

Mori: You remember the parasitic ivy that people were finding on their walls? The one that seemed harmless to plants?

Fizz: Did it kill all our crop or something?

Mori: It attaches to people, and it takes over the recently deceased.

Fizz: Okay.

Mori: As in it takes over their bodies. Like... zombies.

Fizz: So just wrangle them. 

Mori: They're too smart for that. They maintain their intelligence but... they're different. They're not the person they used to be. They hive mind and try to convert others.

Fizz: That... sounds fake. You're punking me because I'm back right?

Mori: No.....

Fizz: But I'm here right? You used a donor body to bring me back and it's not infected.

Mori: Dopple bodies, they're immune. Nobody is sure why. 

Fizz: You and Apollo?

Mori: I'm not sure about me so I'm playing things safe. Apollo is immune as far as I can tell but he may just be lucky. It's airborne so....

Fizz: Wait... as in-

Mori: Anyone who breathes around it is a carrier. The moment their brain shuts down the parasite becomes active and reboots them to fit its will. They're like a cult really, and they're recruiting. 

Fizz:... Diane is okay right? 

Mori: Diane is immune and living with Apollo and I. 

Fizz: You got them out of that place?

Mori: The rehab center? Yes. Diane was there for unrelated reasons... for some reason those fully infected seem to target those sensitive enough to interact with spirits so we figured their safest bet is to stay with us.

Fizz: Why were they there to begin with? They hated it. A lot, I heard all of it.

Mori: It's a mistake on my part, they had a mental break and I didn't know what to do so we took suggestions from a professional. We're doing our best to correct that, Apollo and I.

Fizz: It sucked! 

Mori: We know.

Fizz: You visited though right? Like you didn't actually go and isolate them in a place like that yeah?

Mori: I did... as much as I could. 

Fizz: ..... 

Mori: I'm sorry.

Fizz: Good grief you should be. I'm just glad you're keeping them somewhere safe for now. 

Mori: On a related note I want you to keep a video or audio diary as we go. Getting your body replaced meant asking for a lot of favors from eggheads. They want to know how it impacts you on a cognitive and emotional level.

Fizz: Couldn't be free huh? Barely works right.

Mori: That's even more reason why they want it.

Fizz: I mean I can do that I guess. No promises I'll give them good drama though. 

Mori: Mm. Honestly if they get bored that's for the best, no worries there.

Fizz: So when am I gonna get to see the rest of ya'll? 

Mori: After this actually, we're bringing you back home with us. You'll be assigned a rancher unit. 

Fizz: A construct?

Mori: They don't have developed sentience, they're not real constructs. 

Fizz: You just saying that to avoid breaking the rules?

Mori: It's a loophole really. If they're just machines without personality you'll be fine. We have a couple of them on household for safety reasons. 

Fizz: They got names or...

Mori: No. Please don't name them.

Fizz: You don't wanna think about how much you're pushing moral code that bad huh?

Mori: It's... complicated.

Fizz: Look, ya'll made a species for a job. Diane was made for a job. The body I'm in right now was made for a job. There's no skirting around it. 

Mori: Well....

There is a long period of silence in the recording. 

Fizz: Look, I'm sorry I'm all tense at you right now. You're just... dropping a lot on me and being super clinical about it.

Mori: I know.

Fizz: Talk to me like your friend. We know each other, you know you had no reason to patch me up otherwise right? I'm not your demon.

Mori: That's... another big question I have to ask you.

Fizz: Ah.... did you revive me with work in mind?

Mori: No... more so that your dopple form is not seemingly immortal like your original state and well... Diane and I are both used to having you around. If that's not an issue.

Fizz: You can't fix the old body?

Mori: You're not compatible with it anymore. Whatever you ran into made you incompatible with fully synthetic constructs. This is the closest thing we could offer, and considering the infestation probably safer.

Fizz: Yeah, yeah that's fine. We can do whatever ceremony after I've got some time to adjust if you don't mind too much.

Mori: Go ahead.. can we talk off record after this?

Fizz: What do you mean? 

Mori: There's a few things I want to say but rather not get on the recording if that's alright.

Fizz: Does it mean you'll talk to me as you? 

Mori: Mmm.

Fizz: Yeah I can do that. Right now?

Mori: Mmhmm... if that's okay.

Fizz: Yeah just turn that tape off yeah?

There's the sound of shuffling around before the feed cuts off. 

[-]
Quick Reply
Smilies
Smile Wink Cool Big Grin
Tongue Rolleyes Shy Sad
At Angel Angry Blush
Confused Dodgy Exclamation Heart
Huh Idea Sleepy Undecided
[get more]

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.